Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 13, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,127 of 4,588

You're welcome. I had the same issue and was confused for awhile. Eventually I poked around in Foobar and found the config menu. JRiver keeps adding more menus and switch options, I've given up try to keep track and stick with the defaults on JRMC 22.

I mostly use the defaults also except for memory play and now SoX.

Best,

Paul

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,128 of 4,588
Just bought myself a Mimby to replace an ailing Bifrost Uber USB v.2.  Also nabbed myself a Sys for my Focals and some Pyst RCAs to tie it all together....Didn't have the funds at present to hit my target of a Gumby, but, I'm jazzed to get in on the multibit action...Very excited to hear the improvement offered by going multibit!

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,129 of 4,588
Just curious why you didn't send your Uber in for the multibit upgrade?
Just bought myself a Mimby to replace an ailing Bifrost Uber USB v.2.  Also nabbed myself a Sys for my Focals and some Pyst RCAs to tie it all together....Didn't have the funds at present to hit my target of a Gumby, but, I'm jazzed to get in on the multibit action...Very excited to hear the improvement offered by going multibit!

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,130 of 4,588
Just curious why you didn't send your Uber in for the multibit upgrade?

Knew that might be coming...A fair question...the answer is that my Bifrost currently has a non-working USB port.  Having to pay to ship, plus the cost of both the repair and upgrade, I figured I may as well upgrade to multibit technology, while at the same time minimizing the footprint on my desk.  Not as much of a consideration, as we're extremely independent, but, me and my wife are both disabled and in motorized chairs, and neither one of us drives.  Sometimes dealing with the packing of the item and rolling to visit to the UPS store while attempting to carry a box just isn't worth the schlep...

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,131 of 4,588
Yikes. I'm very sorry to hear that. :frowning2:
I assumed it was probably the form , factor.

I'm kinda in the same predicament regarding form factor. The mimby/mobit/momby..... lol. Is approximately 1/8 the size of my theta dac. I'm hoping someone pops in that may have done some comparisons with some old thetas.

Cheers
Knew that might be coming...A fair question...the answer is that my Bifrost currently has a non-working USB port.  Having to pay to ship, plus the cost of repair and upgrade, I figured I may as well upgrade to multibit technology, while at the same time minimizing the footprint on my desk.  Not as much of a consideration, as we're extremely independent, but, me and my wife are both disabled and in motorized chairs, and neither one of us drives.  Sometimes dealing with the packing of the item and rolling to visit to the UPS store while attempting to carry a box just isn't worth the schlep...

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #1,132 of 4,588
Yikes. I'm very sorry to hear that.
frown.gif

I assumed it was probably the form , factor.

I'm kinda in the same predicament regarding form factor. The mimby/mobit/momby..... lol. Is approximately 1/8 the size of my theta dac. I'm hoping someone pops in that may have done some comparisons with some old thetas.

Cheers

No need to be sorry...We all live our lives and do what we can.  The Mrs. and I have things down to a science!
beerchug.gif

Theta dac, eh?  Very cool!  I'd love to see those comparisons myself.  Hope someone jumps in soon!

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,133 of 4,588
I finally got my Modi Multibit set up on my office rig. I am just using JRMC with ASIO via USB to a Gustard H10 and some recabled Grado SR60s with anti-resonance materials added to the drivers.

The sound is truly remarkable not just for the price but in absolute terms. What a great deal. I have two Yggys, one in my speaker rig and the other in my headphone rig. There is much of the Yggy sound in the Modi Multibit. Very clear and tonaly accurate.

Well done...

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,136 of 4,588
  I finally got my Modi Multibit set up on my office rig. I am just using JRMC with ASIO via USB to a Gustard H10 and some recabled Grado SR60s with anti-resonance materials added to the drivers.

The sound is truly remarkable not just for the price but in absolute terms. What a great deal. I have two Yggys, one in my speaker rig and the other in my headphone rig. There is much of the Yggy sound in the Modi Multibit. Very clear and tonaly accurate.

Well done...

How much better are the yggy(s) though? I have a mimby and I love it, but I'm looking forward to "moving up" to yggdrasil, in both of my speaker systems and in the headphone rig. Gosh, makes me think gumby would be good enough in the office rig. I wish I could plug them all in and hear them in my rig. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,137 of 4,588
  How much better are the yggy(s) though? I have a mimby and I love it, but I'm looking forward to "moving up" to yggdrasil, in both of my speaker systems and in the headphone rig. Gosh, makes me think gumby would be good enough in the office rig. I wish I could plug them all in and hear them in my rig. 

Funny. Someone just PM's me with that same question about comparing the Modi MB to the Yggy. I will repeat my answer here.

It is a little hard to say since the equipment I have surrounding both is very different i.e. cables, HP's, interface to DAC etc.

I would say that the Modi really surprised me at how good it sounded. It is not at the same level of quality or performance as the Yggy but shares the same family of positive attributes...just quantitatively less of each. Very good tonality, non-fatiguing, and engaging. When I get a chance I will try the Modi with some of my better HP's.

For an all-out system you cannot go wrong with the Yggy. I had an Auralic Vega and a Wyred4Sound DAC2 SE DSD before that. I prefer the Yggy and it only goes to 24/192. In fact I prefer Redbook on the Yggy to DSD on those Saber based DACs. Yggy really shows what Redbook can do.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,138 of 4,588

Funny. Someone just PM's me with that same question about comparing the Modi MB to the Yggy. I will repeat my answer here.

It is a little hard to say since the equipment I have surrounding both is very different i.e. cables, HP's, interface to DAC etc.

I would say that the Modi really surprised me at how good it sounded. It is not at the same level of quality or performance as the Yggy but shares the same family of positive attributes...just quantitatively less of each. Very good tonality, non-fatiguing, and engaging. When I get a chance I will try the Modi with some of my better HP's.

For an all-out system you cannot go wrong with the Yggy. I had an Auralic Vega and a Wyred4Sound DAC2 SE DSD before that. I prefer the Yggy and it only goes to 24/192. In fact I prefer Redbook on the Yggy to DSD on those Saber based DACs. Yggy really shows what Redbook can do.

Thanks for the reply. I think my next move will be to buy a Yggy, and then compare it with the internal DAC of the Jotunheim, and the mimby at each station, and go from there. Maybe gumby will be good enough out here at the office, then switch mimby and yggy around at home between headphone rig and the other speaker system. Lots of great choices to be sure.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,139 of 4,588
  My Modi Multibit is making me want to add a Yggdrasil to my main system, the problem in the UK is we have no way of auditioning or have access to to the Schiit 15 day trial via the UK agent so it wont be purchased.

Schiit USA needs to work with there international agents to mitigate potential lost sales...

You do realise that you have an automatic right to return goods bought online for a full refund within 14 days, as part of consumer protection law, right? In the unlikely event that you don't love the Yggy, you could still send it back for a full refund.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

That said, have you tried dropping the people at electromod a line, to see if there's some way you could audition a Yggy? They're quite friendly and helpful.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,140 of 4,588
Is it a Yggy or an Yggy?

Users who are viewing this thread

• zexk
Back