Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 16, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,172 of 4,588

I'm all for quality hardware and I always try to buy the best myself (as long as it's reasonably priced), I just think that the "night-and-day difference" claims are a bit overboard, as usual in this hobby...

Absolutely, I'm not holding my expectations very high but I can definitely how some of the things they explain on their website may have merit to them (better isolation, less jitter, dedicated components, the likes) - most people I talked to did not describe it as being "night and day" to oversell it which was the main reason I was actually interested, will have to see how it turns out. I'd been wanting to try a ethernet based device regardless so figure it was a good opportunity to do that, price tag is hefty but definitely tame compared to most other "highly rated" servers à la Aries, Aurander, etc.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,173 of 4,588
The door swings both ways my friend.

I agree, but there's too much FUD being spread online nowadays (some of it deliberate, some not). I'd rather be overly skeptical.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,174 of 4,588
I agree, but there's too much FUD being spread online nowadays (some of it deliberate, some not). I'd rather be overly skeptical.

Thats from people just accepting what they hear and spreading it. Which is why I encouraged people to make up their own mind instead of just accepting there is nothing wrong with their setup. They could be pleasantly surprised (or not).

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,175 of 4,588
I have a nice motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MK1) and power supply (Corsair RM850) and I have no noise over USB. USB and Toslink sound the same to me, the only benefit I have either way is with USB ASIO and WASAPI work allot better. If you have a quality motherboard, with a quality power supply, you shouldnt be getting any noise over USB. 

I purchased a HiFIBerry Digi+ for my raspberry pi 3 running OSMC, hooked up to my Moby with coax, streaming files from my main rig over the network. To me it sounded exactly the same as my main rig. So obviously the HiFiberry Digi+ + Raspberry Pi 3 is allot cheaper than my $2000 Dekstop PC, so if you just want to build a media streamer its one hell of a bang for your buck. Since I do all of my listening in my office on my desktop, I'll keep the HiFiBerry in a drawer until I need a smaller listening station.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,176 of 4,588
I have a nice motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MK1) and power supply (Corsair RM850) and I have no noise over USB. USB and Toslink sound the same to me, the only benefit I have either way is with USB ASIO and WASAPI work allot better. If you have a quality motherboard, with a quality power supply, you shouldnt be getting any noise over USB. 

I purchased a HiFIBerry Digi+ for my raspberry pi 3 running OSMC, hooked up to my Moby with coax, streaming files from my main rig over the network. To me it sounded exactly the same as my main rig. So obviously the HiFiberry Digi+ + Raspberry Pi 3 is allot cheaper than my $2000 Dekstop PC, so if you just want to build a media streamer its one hell of a bang for your buck. Since I do all of my listening in my office on my desktop, I'll keep the HiFiBerry in a drawer until I need a smaller listening station.

It's funny you mention this because I was also looking at buying a Raspberry Pi3 with a HiFiBerry + to use TOSLINK out with Tidal.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,177 of 4,588
Is anyone finding the Moby almost excessively clean and clear sounding?

Mine has been through the first 48 hours of warmup and sounds great but the "clean and clear" signature is a little distracting with music and very distracting with a/v.

Last night I tried watching some cable tv dramas using it and it was like listening with a magnifying glass. I could hear the separate audio tracks in many scenes: dialogue, room & background and could hear them being mixed. I could even hear the "pumping" where they were probably running two or three tracks under a shared limiting plugin. Too much info!

In the plus side the location info is great on live music recordings and it has opened up the soundstage on my hd600's a bit.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,178 of 4,588
Well, it seems there are some users out there who still prefer other far more expensive DACs over Schiit Multibit DACs. (How dare they!) There are those who prefer the Spicy Chingadera offering from Rio Grande 3D Labs, others who prefer the pricey Western Swiss Made Symphonic Waterfall Flow Job from Garlic Snail Electronics, Ltd., and still others prefer the Mortimer Apex from Dissonance Dyspepsia. Choices, choices.

Some of this may be explained away by listening ability. For example, there are many who are tone and/or pitch deaf. In my side career directing stage shows there are many who even though they may have a beautiful voice cannot sing at all, most because they cannot differentiate notes and pitch. Also, a signature ability of the Schiit mb DACs is an uncanny time domain ability to recreate the positions of instruments, voices, squeeking chairs, and stomach growls in space. (Especially the Yggy.) There are many who cannot hear this phenomenon.

Another explanation may be that there are users whose system impairs or prevents them from differentiating the differences above.

A more likely explanation is that (the horror) different people may have different preferences. What a shock. I guess that no matter how right I am, and even after God himself appeared to me and led me to the cave where his secret DAC recipe was hidden below 7 layers of bat guano -- gasp – there are those who may prefer other equipment.

I guess you can't please 'em all.  But for two and a half or so Ben Franklins or so, the mb modi Mimby (subject of this thread last I remember) is pretty friggin’ good. So there!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,179 of 4,588
  Well, it seems there are some users out there who still prefer other far more expensive DACs over Schiit Multibit DACs. (How dare they!) There are those who prefer the Spicy Chingadera offering from Rio Grande 3D Labs, others who prefer the pricey Western Swiss Made Symphonic Waterfall Flow Job from Garlic Snail Electronics, Ltd., and still others prefer the Mortimer Apex from Dissonance Dyspepsia. Choices, choices.

Some of this may be explained away by listening ability. For example, there are many who are tone and/or pitch deaf. In my side career directing stage shows there are many who even though they may have a beautiful voice cannot sing at all, most because they cannot differentiate notes and pitch. Also, a signature ability of the Schiit mb DACs is an uncanny time domain ability to recreate the positions of instruments, voices, squeeking chairs, and stomach growls in space. (Especially the Yggy.) There are many who cannot hear this phenomenon.

Another explanation may be that there are users whose system impairs or prevents them from differentiating the differences above.

A more likely explanation is that (the horror) different people may have different preferences. What a shock. I guess that no matter how right I am, and even after God himself appeared to me and led me to the cave where his secret DAC recipe was hidden below 7 layers of bat guano -- gasp – there are those who may prefer other equipment.

I guess you can't please 'em all.  But for two and a half or so Ben Franklins or so, the mb modi Mimby (subject of this thread last I remember) is pretty friggin’ good. So there!

Yea verily....

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #1,180 of 4,588

I'm all for quality hardware and I always try to buy the best myself (as long as it's reasonably priced), I just think that the "night-and-day difference" claims are a bit overboard, as usual in this hobby...

I started in digital audio with a Naim UnitiQute getting FLAC from a NAS over Ethernet, and I've never used a PC or Mac as a DAC source, always some kind of Ethernet-based source. The differences between the very cheapest of those I've used (a CuBox-i2eX with Volumio, ~$100) and the most expensive (microRendu+Teddy Pardo LPS, ~$1000) sounded pretty real to me but by no means "night-and-day". From my experiences, I believe that USB with a decent source can be as good as S/PDIF. I have the advantage of a somewhat less biased tester in that my wife is very musical, but doesn't know or care about the different kinds of gear, and she has volunteered when things sounded better to her. 

Having read a lot of stuff about digital sources here and in other fora, I can't resist the feeling that some (many?) of the alleged large differences have nothing to do with specific pieces of hardware but instead are the result of user error or configuration difficulties: wrong drivers or audio out settings, source computers too busy with other processes instead of pushing music bits, misguided attempts to "improve" SQ with DSP apps, overloaded USB ports, random USB cables that used to be cat toys, ground loops, and likely many other glitches, confusions, and sundry magical thoughts.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #1,182 of 4,588
Anyone using this with planars after moving off a delta-sigma DAC....impressions ?

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,184 of 4,588

Yes, for this kind of money what you get it is unbelievable. I personally prefer Mimby over my Chord Hugo DAC

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #1,185 of 4,588
[Mod Comment]

For the few that keep trying to get into a debate about the Yggy - this is the Modi Multi-bit thread.  Please stop going O/T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back