Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 18, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,202 of 4,588
  What amps are you looking at? I am in the same boat!

Good question. More than likely the Valhalla 2 or the Lyr 2. I need to do some more research and see which would be the better fit. I'm already indecisive enough about a DAC, let alone a new amp.

I may have a bigger issue though, as I am a very new HD800 owner and am still adjusting to the sound, come up from the HD600. I do have the SDR mod installed, but in one ear things are often still too bright. 

Regardless, I don't see myself deviating from the Schiit brand anytime soon. I'm not in a position where I can sample and return things over and over until I find something totally perfect, but Schiit comes pretty damn close and threads like this help me know what I'm getting into. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,203 of 4,588
Good question. More than likely the Valhalla 2 or the Lyr 2. I need to do some more research and see which would be the better fit. I'm already indecisive enough about a DAC, let alone a new amp.

I may have a bigger issue though, as I am a very new HD800 owner and am still adjusting to the sound, come up from the HD600. I do have the SDR mod installed, but in one ear things are often still too bright. 

Regardless, I don't see myself deviating from the Schiit brand anytime soon. I'm not in a position where I can sample and return things over and over until I find something totally perfect, but Schiit comes pretty damn close and threads like this help me know what I'm getting into. 

Valhalla 2 is supposed to be better for high z Senns. HD800 loves OTL amps (Val2).

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,204 of 4,588

If you want to wait, I have HD800 and Valhalla 2 pair now. My Lyr2 has been delivered to my office and I will bring it home Monday. I can give you my impressions if you like.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #1,206 of 4,588
If you want to wait, I have HD800 and Valhalla 2 pair now. My Lyr2 has been delivered to my office and I will bring it home Monday. I can give you my impressions if you like.

That would be great, thanks. Are you using the HD800 as stock or with any mods/equalizer?

I wouldn't expect Mimby to do too much for the brightness/sharpness I still feel, but I could be wrong. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,208 of 4,588
  I use the Asus Hero VII MB, there are a couple of things you need to do, I will make a post with screen shots later to help you out.

hi dude, can you share your settings with me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #1,209 of 4,588
hi dude, can you share your settings with me :)

If you will be using PC as a source component go with Daphile OS. You can run it from USB stick or you can install it.

Still much better results can be achieved with Raspberry pi 3\Digi out board, Max2play OS, USB power bank as a power supply, on your PC\mac you will install NAS software LMS from Logitech and all music files will be stored on the PC\mac or NAS. Pi3 set up is cheap enough for everybody and result sound will be on pair with Aries mini streamer and similar

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,210 of 4,588
I was a big skeptic of substantial changes between basic, good quality DACs. But, the Modibits price and good reviews got me curious. I guess I'm not a skeptic anymore - there is a real difference between the Schiit and my Apogee Duet (a DS dac I'd think).

Modibit has much clearer instrument separation and seems to widen the sound-stage with many of my headphones. Highs are more upfront and fuzzy on the Apogee. My biggest surprise is that the Schiit actually sounds quite different frequency range wise. They have more mids in vocal range of the mids and mid bass. The Apogee punches better in the sub-regions. Because of this "tilt" in the bass my TH-X00 PH's especially suffer for my tastes with the mid-bass prominence.

The ModiBit sounds a lot cleaner, spacious and engaging mids upward. It almost sounds like the files were of better quality than Apple Lossless... (Yeah, still not believing in files over redbook.) Too bad the Schiit doesn't quite have the subs / bass slam to make me completely ditch the Duet for hp-use.

Btw, I'm using a Lyr 2 with stock tubes or Lissts.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,213 of 4,588
More "subby" tubes would just bring back what the ModiBit lost - in the very best of cases.Quote:
Maybe so, but there seems to be a difference anyway with the same amp. More "subby" tubes would just bring back what the ModiBit lost - in the very best of cases.

More "subby" tubes would just bring back what the ModiBit lost - in the very best of cases.

Exactly.

Back to the bass you enjoyed and with all the other improvements :)

IMHO,
r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back