Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 13, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #556 of 4,588

Forgive my ignorance - what is the advantage of non-oversampling?  The vast majority of my music is 16/44.1; does this mean I wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the burrito filter?

16/44.1  means you get maximum benefit of the burrito filter, highest input rates (176/192) are NOS and bypass the burrito filter

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #557 of 4,588
Not made in China
smily_headphones1.gif
Using custom UK Noratel transformer for Audio.

Brand is Plixir. I have already have 2 X balanced power supply from Plixir. One for digital and one for analog. All did improve my setup substacially.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=217708.msg1106425#msg1106425

Apparently, it's no longer available - or not yet available:    http://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #558 of 4,588
Hi guys,

Quick question here - How is it that the Analog Devices 5547 chip has overcome the cost and difficulty of the R2R ladder DAC design? IE, laser trimming the resistors to be exactly double the impedance in sequence and all that, it's supposed to be prohibitively expensive. How is it that the AD5547 can do this at the bulk price of ~$40/ea? I am really starting to hone in on the tonality of multi bit while listening to my M-Audio BX5a speakers at home that I've had forever (I am very familiar with their sound), I can really hear a richer/fuller more detailed sound with the mimby vs my previous M2U (4396) and even a "pro" grade firewire sound card. I have a bifrost 4490 that I bought just 2 months ago and now I'm debating replacing it with a mimby or sending it in for the multibit upgrade. Anyway if anyone has any insight on how it is that Analog Devices can make a R2R DAC chip so cheap? I know it's not just the chip, the Comboburrito filter is also part of the magic, but still interested in why this tech is so nascent right now.

By the way - I use Vox on the mac to play back my HD Flac files, and I've had an issue now twice where the playback of the mimby gets out of phase or some sort of weird distortion, and I have to reboot the mimby to get it back to clean audio (using optical btw). I had my mac set to 32-bit float on the optical jack, and Vox has a feature where it can set the output of the mac to the matching sample rate of the file being played back. I've never had this problem with the M2U or the bifrost, is this something I should be concerned with? I've since turned the optical jack to 24-bit because I didn't see support listed for 32-bit on Schiit's site.

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #559 of 4,588
I'm thinking to get Mimby soon. Does Mimby perform similar to Bimby without ability to upgrade?

The Bifrost has a better analog stage, and a better power supply. It can also be upgraded later down the line because of it's modular design. It's also more aesthetically pleasing with an asgard, lyr, or valhalla.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #560 of 4,588

The Bifrost has a better analog stage, and a better power supply. It can also be upgraded later down the line because of it's modular design. It's also more aesthetically pleasing with an asgard, lyr, or valhalla.

Thanks. What do you think of Vox? I'm using Audirvana+. Tried Vox but the UI is very different than A+.

As for Momby vs Bimby: I think Schiit did a great move. However, Momby is kinda unique. 90% performance (matching) for just 42% price (great value) of Bimby. But the Momby footprint is completely different. Momby can't be stacked with Valhalla 2. Personally, I'd rather see lower-priced Bifrost ($300) & Bimby ($500) than Momby.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #561 of 4,588

The analog stage is the same, the only difference is power supply and modular design.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #563 of 4,588

Thanks. What do you think of Vox? I'm using Audirvana+. Tried Vox but the UI is very different than A+.

As for Momby vs Bimby: I think Schiit did a great move. However, Momby is kinda unique. 90% performance (matching) for just 42% price (great value) of Bimby. But the Momby footprint is completely different. Momby can't be stacked with Valhalla 2. Personally, I'd rather see lower-priced Bifrost ($300) & Bimby ($500) than Momby.

Vox has everything I need and I like two features in particular - "Try to load music files fully into memory" ( prevents playback issues if your computer is busy doing lots of other things) and "synchronize sample rate with player"  which automatically switches the output sample rate of the mac to the match the sample rate of the file. 

I just ignore the radio features and all the other stuff it can do. I just drag my folder of flacs to the top left corner of the playback window and it clears the queue and plays that particular folder (album). I love this no-frills approach where I manage my playback by just dragging folder from the finder to the vox's "clear and play" button. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #564 of 4,588
Aug 13, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #565 of 4,588
  Hi guys,

Quick question here - How is it that the Analog Devices 5547 chip has overcome the cost and difficulty of the R2R ladder DAC design? IE, laser trimming the resistors to be exactly double the impedance in sequence and all that, it's supposed to be prohibitively expensive. How is it that the AD5547 can do this at the bulk price of ~$40/ea?

It is a 16 bit part - accurate to 1 part in 65000ish as opposed to 20 bit which is 1 part in a millionish (Yggyx2/channel) or 18 bit - 1 part in 250000ish (Gungnir 2/channel).

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #567 of 4,588
Does that mean 24-bit music files are overkill for 16-bit Momby?

Because of the bragging rights often without substance common in digital audio specmanship, I only have a few comments to offer; one would be that twenty bits done with bad math math could be inferior to 16 bit done with good.  Another is that 32 bit resolution is unobtainium in the arena of digital audio.  As important as mathematical precision is, uniquely possible with multibit converters - the mastering is more important.  The mileage varies in all of the above recording by recording.  You are far better off not concerning yourself by higher bit number teases and judging for yourself which recordings you like.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #568 of 4,588
  As important as mathematical precision is, uniquely possible with multibit converters - the mastering is more important. 

The quality (or lack thereof) of the mastering of a recording is responsible for around 99% of its overall SQ.

I'll take a well mastered 44.1/16 recording that preserves the recording's original dynamic range (which are unfortunately few and far between in popular music) any day of the week over any ultra-hi-res recording that has been poorly mastered.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #569 of 4,588
Does that mean 24-bit music files are overkill for 16-bit Momby?

The quality (or lack thereof) of the mastering of a recording is responsible for around 99% of its overall SQ.

I'll take a well mastered 44.1/16 recording that preserves the recording's original dynamic range (which are unfortunately few and far between in popular music) any day of the week over any ultra-hi-res recording that has been poorly mastered.

Even in non-popular music, such as modern jazz, mastering quality varies widely. ECM, where Manfred Eicher has set high standards overall, doesn't manage to be as consistent as I'd like, for example. Some very small labels, like NYC's Pi Recordings, are really good even though their budgets are likely skimpy.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #570 of 4,588
Recognizing it is really new so the answer maybe no, has anyone tried any other mods out with the Modi Multibit yet? It was thinking that if it is a lot like the Bimby but with less expensive parts to keep the cost down, maybe modding it by upgrading a few signal caps or something like that would close the gap further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back