Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 12, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #541 of 4,588
It seems that the drivers default to 48K Hz in the playback settings for Mimby?
Anyone else have this problem?

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #543 of 4,588
So mimby SQ is superior then:
1) Mojo
2)m9xx
3)V dac 11
What did i miss?

I like the Mimby a lot if you see my earlier impression of it. However, I don't consider Mimby SQ to be superior to mojo. Imho, Mojo has more resolution and detail than the Mimby. In fact, there are days when I thought that the mojo resolution and details are just a notch behind Yggy. The mojo is musical and delightful to listen in its own way. if the Mimby is your first multibit dac, then you could be enjoying the multibit SQ much that you think the Mimby trashes the Mojo. If you have the chance to listen to Mimby, Mojo and Yggy side by side, you will understand what I mean. The Mojo is a gem just like the Mimby and both punch above their weight and price range. I am not the only Yggy fan who thinks highly of the Mojo, read Torq's impression of many DACs in the thread "Life after Yggy" 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil

Just my views.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #544 of 4,588
I like the Mimby a lot if you see my earlier impression of it. However, I don't consider Mimby SQ to be superior to mojo. Imho, Mojo has more resolution and detail than the Mimby. In fact, there are days when I thought that the mojo resolution and details are just a notch behind Yggy. The mojo is musical and delightful to listen in its own way. if the Mimby is your first multibit dac, then you could be enjoying the multibit SQ much that you think the Mimby trashes the Mojo. If you have the chance to listen to Mimby, Mojo and Yggy side by side, you will understand what I mean. The Mojo is a gem just like the Mimby and both punch above their weight and price range. I am not the only Yggy fan who thinks highly of the Mojo, read Torq's impression of many DACs in the thread "Life after Yggy" 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil

Just my views.

Yeah, I think there is room to prefer Mojo and m9XX over MoMBy if you place a higher value on certain traits. I'd say for most people the MoMBy beats the Mojo, but it's not a clear cut whipping in all aspects.

Plus the Mojo isnt even the same type of product anyway. The Mojo is obviously the superior product if you want an amp too, lol.

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #545 of 4,588

Oh, come on guys!  You ask this in the context on $10,000 and up DACs??  What are you thinking??  For the record, the margins are less than 2% different.  If you want a better performing,  upgradable unit, get a Bimby.  If you want a multibit contender with cheaper parts and a way cheaper power supply, get a Mimby.  It's assertions like this that make me wonder why I bust ass to make multibit affordable.

I wonder why also?  Why would a couple of Schiit heads go to the trouble of making such great stuff for a bunch of lunatics? I for one am glad though you've done this, this little guy is really something special. For the longest time I've been wanting to get a Yaggi but I have a lot of good audio stuff already, and teenagers lol... So sitting up late at night ready to pull the trigger I've actually thought better of it and put it off a bit longer. When you introduce this little guy I really could not let this one pass and I picked one up.  Got a couple days ago, and I really must say it is a phenomenal DAC. I will be getting a Yaggi eventually but all I can say is this is really a very special item and anybody who is looking for great sound, at a price or really just great sound should pick one up. This definitely reaches well above its price point, and anybody who denies this is totally nuts. I have listened to many excellent DAC, own a few pretty decent ones also, and this little guy is just so musical and natural, it is truly amazing. There's just something different about the multibit that really stands out. I got to say thanks Mike, and keep up the amazing work.

Regards
Bob

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #546 of 4,588
So I knew that it was going to sound better than my Dragonfly 1.2 that I bought used. I just wasn't expecting it to blow it completely out of the water. It's like the music came alive for the first time! Way more natural sounding, better detail, better everything. I have it connected to my O2 right now and I wonder how much better it is going to sound with my project polaris which will arrive soon.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #547 of 4,588
  So I knew that it was going to sound better than my Dragonfly 1.2 that I bought used. I just wasn't expecting it to blow it completely out of the water. It's like the music came alive for the first time! Way more natural sounding, better detail, better everything. I have it connected to my O2 right now and I wonder how much better it is going to sound with my project polaris which will arrive soon.

That's the magic of R2R and custom in-house digital filter for you.

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #548 of 4,588
Those are adventurous can slap on an alternative power supply. It's on another level on SQ. Darker noise floor.

I have tested 48 hrs, soundstage open up wider. Highs are smoother as ever.Runs cooler then supplied wallwart
Ok schiit you caught me:) Doesn't matter, im willing to forfeit my warranty if indeed any fault in the future has to do with it.

Such a splendid dac deserved a matching PS.

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #549 of 4,588
Those are adventurous can slap on an alternative power supply. It's on another level on SQ. Darker noise floor.

I have tested 48 hrs, soundstage open up wider. Highs are smoother as ever.Runs cooler then supplied wallwart
Ok schiit you caught me:) Doesn't matter, im willing to forfeit my warranty if indeed any fault in the future has to do with it.

Such a splendid dac deserved a matching PS.

i don't think I am so adventurous, but which power supply are you using with it?

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #550 of 4,588
  Regarding samples rates, it says on the website: "Modi 2 Multibit: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax, with 24/176 and 24/192 being NOS (non-oversampled)"

The non-oversampled part only applies to 24/176 and 24/192 over Toslink and Coax right? Doesn't apply to 24/176 and 24/192 over USB?

Forgive my ignorance - what is the advantage of non-oversampling?  The vast majority of my music is 16/44.1; does this mean I wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the burrito filter?

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #551 of 4,588
Not made in China :) Using custom UK Noratel transformer for Audio.

Brand is Plixir. I have already have 2 X balanced power supply from Plixir. One for digital and one for analog. All did improve my setup substacially.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=217708.msg1106425#msg1106425

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #552 of 4,588
Stupid question here regarding power for the Mimby.

Instead of swapping power supplies, would using a power conditioner net you positive results as well?

I know this is highly debatable, but I figured I would ask anyway.

I have never used any power conditioners in the past, but have considered trying a Cyber Power one in the past. I am not sure it will make a difference in the SQ, but if it helps to protect my gear and doesn't hurt anything, then I don't see why not.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #553 of 4,588
Stupid question here regarding power for the Mimby.

Instead of swapping power supplies, would using a power conditioner net you positive results as well?

I know this is highly debatable, but I figured I would ask anyway.

The original wallwart was plug into my balanced digital power supply. I did not know of improvement until i replaced it with the new AC 16VAC PS.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #554 of 4,588
The original wallwart was plug into my balanced digital power supply. I did not know of improvement until i replaced it with the new AC 16VAC PS.

Thanks for the input. That was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #555 of 4,588
Thanks for the input. That was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for! :)

Yr welcome, i am very particular in my power supply chain.i think it defeat the purpose of having a USB isolation if your power supply is good enough. Even so,having a grounding box connected to my balanced PS improve further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back