Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #571 of 4,588
Recognizing it is really new so the answer maybe no, has anyone tried any other mods out with the Modi Multibit yet? It was thinking that if it is a lot like the Bimby but with less expensive parts to keep the cost down, maybe modding it by upgrading a few signal caps or something like that would close the gap further.

Touch my Mimby and die!!!

Read: I'm a clueless, bumbling idiot when it comes to electronic internals and so my Mimby will forever remain stock.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #572 of 4,588
I second! It's amazing as it is!

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #573 of 4,588
... It was thinking that if it is a lot like the Bimby but with less expensive parts to keep the cost down, maybe modding it by upgrading a few signal caps or something like that would close the gap further.

I don't think Modi multi necessarily has cheaper parts, just smaller ones, if you look at the Bimby board you won't see any large "audiophile" film caps either.
I doubt there's room inside the case for "upgraded parts", I would suggest you leave well alone unless you think you can do better than Schiit.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #574 of 4,588
The quality (or lack thereof) of the mastering of a recording is responsible for around 99% of its overall SQ.

I'll take a well mastered 44.1/16 recording that preserves the recording's original dynamic range (which are unfortunately few and far between in popular music) any day of the week over any ultra-hi-res recording that has been poorly mastered.

This. I wish more people realized that.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #576 of 4,588
It means it can't play anything that is DSD or dxd or dvda.

It can play DVD-A, it's just a high resolution LPCM, which can be fed to any Schiit DAC, either D/S or MB as long as it's native 2 channel or downmixed to stereo from 5.1.

DSD is a whole different story. Nothing to do with the bits.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #577 of 4,588
It can play DVD-A, it's just a high resolution LPCM, which can be fed to any Schiit DAC, either D/S or MB as long as it's native 2 channel or downmixed to stereo from 5.1.

DSD is a whole different story. Nothing to do with the bits.

I tried the Yggdrasil with my Linn universal player and it would not play dvda only sacd and only response I got from schiit is dvda is recorded in 24bit format similar to DSD from Sony.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #578 of 4,588
I tried the Yggdrasil with my Linn universal player and it would not play dvda only sacd and only response I got from schiit is dvda is recorded in 24bit format similar to DSD from Sony.

When you are playing through the Linn. You are outputting 5 channels. Set the Linn to downmix to 2 channel or choose the stereo only tracks from the disc.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #579 of 4,588
When you are playing through the Linn. You are outputting 5 channels. Set the Linn to downmix to 2 channel or choose the stereo only tracks from the disc.

It's an optical out didn't see any option, plays as two channel into my naim or chord DAC, I decided against the schiit because it didn't support a quarter of my music, DSD.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #580 of 4,588
I don't think Modi multi necessarily has cheaper parts, just smaller ones, if you look at the Bimby board you won't see any large "audiophile" film caps either.
I doubt there's room inside the case for "upgraded parts", I would suggest you leave well alone unless you think you can do better than Schiit.

+1

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #581 of 4,588
I thought finding the best tube was a great upgrade for my Vali2 & Modi 2 Uber stack was the ultimate, but The Modi Multibit is really an eyeopener. Just like my Super Schiit Stack, I have started to hear stuff in my music I have not heard before COOL!!!!!

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #582 of 4,588
Modi multibit plays my 4.1 tDSotM DVDA when down mixed to stereo in foobar2k. It still plays the left and right channels if left in 4.1.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #583 of 4,588
It's an optical out didn't see any option, plays as two channel into my naim or chord DAC, I decided against the schiit because it didn't support a quarter of my music, DSD.

1/4 of your music is DSD?!?!

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #584 of 4,588
1/4 of your music is DSD?!?!

Yeah Sony released about 10,000 titles now and I have utopia two channel speakers with Dave DAC and naim preamp with separate biamping per speaker(Two amps to each speaker). DSD sounds much better with this type of set up, remastered cd quality has noticably less separation. Before DSD I had a bunch of dvda and sacd which most are now stored in drive, dvda are stored to 24 bit for full file size.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #585 of 4,588
So as this is AC and not DC if I'm getting it right, this unit cannot be run off battery isolation for coffee shops etc or LPS units at home ? I WOULD be happy as a pig in Schitt if this thing is transportable and not tied to an outlet !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back