Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #526 of 4,588
Oh, come on guys!  You ask this in the context on $10,000 and up DACs??  What are you thinking??  For the record, the margins are less than 2% different.  If you want a better performing,  upgradable unit, get a Bimby.  If you want a multibit contender with cheaper parts and a way cheaper power supply, get a Mimby.  It's assertions like this that make me wonder why I bust ass to make multibit affordable.

Dear Sir, thank you with your astonishing achievment for this mimby.

Although it is the cheapest MBits Dac, it is also expandable. I already explore the weakest link:)

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #527 of 4,588
Amidst all this love for Mimby it seems now is the time to point out just how lovely the Bimby is, so it doesn't get short changed.
I absolutely adore the Bimby and think it is a very good value as well. The Asgard is as well.
A/B I have staacked my Schiit to the perfect height.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #528 of 4,588
  Regarding samples rates, it says on the website: "Modi 2 Multibit: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax, with 24/176 and 24/192 being NOS (non-oversampled)"

The non-oversampled part only applies to 24/176 and 24/192 over Toslink and Coax right? Doesn't apply to 24/176 and 24/192 over USB?

It applies to all inputs as long as the sampling rate is 176 or 192.
From the Bifrost FAQ:

What’s this about a non-oversampling (NOS) mode?
For 176.4kHz and 192kHz input sample rates, Bifrost Multibit passes the music right along—no digital filter, no oversampling. Have fun! Upsample lower-rate music with another algorithm, and compare to our “comboburrito” filter.

They don't mention input types, just sample rates. I don't think the digital signal is treated any differently based on the input type in all aspects of the D/A conversion.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #529 of 4,588
  Amidst all this love for Mimby it seems now is the time to point out just how lovely the Bimby is, so it doesn't get short changed.
I absolutely adore the Bimby and think it is a very good value as well. The Asgard is as well.
A/B I have staacked my Schiit to the perfect height.

I certainly agree with you about the Bimby. I haven't heard the Asgard.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #530 of 4,588
Mike, I ordered Mimby on day 1 and I have to say it's a fantastic DAC. You guys at Schiit are responsible for a whole new generation of audiophiles. With how affordable your USA made products are, not to mention the fantastic quality, it's hard to consider any other manufacturers if you are on a budget. I bought the Magni 2 on a recommendation early last year. I read allot of Jason's blog and it made me really respect you guys and what you do for the community much more. Then I purchased the Modi 2 Uber later last year. When the Vali 2 was announced I couldn't wait to get into tubes. Now that I have the Mimby I feel like my headphone setup is finally complete. So thanks again for all that you guys do. Looking forward to a speaker amp from you guys!

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #531 of 4,588
Mike, I ordered Mimby on day 1 and I have to say it's a fantastic DAC. You guys at Schiit are responsible for a whole new generation of audiophiles. With how affordable your USA made products are, not to mention the fantastic quality, it's hard to consider any other manufacturers if you are on a budget. I bought the Magni 2 on a recommendation early last year. I read allot of Jason's blog and it made me really respect you guys and what you do for the community much more. Then I purchased the Modi 2 Uber later last year. When the Vali 2 was announced I couldn't wait to get into tubes. Now that I have the Mimby I feel like my headphone setup is finally complete. So thanks again for all that you guys do. Looking forward to a speaker amp from you guys!

I agree with everything minus what I bolded
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #532 of 4,588

Oh, come on guys!  You ask this in the context on $10,000 and up DACs??  What are you thinking??  For the record, the margins are less than 2% different.  If you want a better performing,  upgradable unit, get a Bimby.  If you want a multibit contender with cheaper parts and a way cheaper power supply, get a Mimby.  It's assertions like this that make me wonder why I bust ass to make multibit affordable.

I for one appreciate your efforts to make the multibit affordable! I just love this mimby. We had a "music night" last saturday (where we all pick tunes and listen and have fun), and we all loved the mimby, it sounds incredible! Thanks from all of us (my family) for your outstanding work!

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #533 of 4,588
Yeah dont worry about it, i think my system was just being temperamental.  It only happened on high frequencies for me, but I tried it again today just to test to let you know and it didnt seem to have an issue.  But then again i didnt have an issue before until after few hours of play back so I cant say for sure where the issue is i know its been fine since it been through the magni with the volume pot turned down.  I dont think it will be a problem with most speakers. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #535 of 4,588

Mike,

My first Schiit purchase was the Vali 2 and I absolutely love it!

You brought high quality tubes to the working man, and I appreciate it sincerely.

My next purchase will be the Schiit Modi Multibit. While I would love to make the jump to the Yggy, I simply cannot afford it. However, with a bit of saving and watching my spending, I will be able to get the Mimby.

You are not only getting a whole new generation of music fans into audiophile gear, you are also providing us older family guys (with a lot of financial responsibility) an upgrade path that simply would not be attainable without your work.

Please do not get discouraged and know that your hard work is not only appreciated, but necessary for some of us to achieve our audio dreams.

Keep up the great work!
smily_headphones1.gif

-Dave

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #536 of 4,588

Baldr, please don't get upset.  Schiit Audio was the vendor of choice when I decided to upgrade my listening experience and I for one appreciate all the fine work you've put into your products.  A Mimby or Bimby (if you get some more black ones) is definitely on my horizon now.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #537 of 4,588
Quick question. I've read comments the burn in process was less with the Schiit multibit dacs. Has that been the case with the Modi? Unlike the Modi 2 Uber I didn't keep track of the hours but after taking delivery August 1st it seems to have really woken up these past few days.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #538 of 4,588
I play a 1 hr long ocean wave track at night on repeat as a household sound machine (centrally located). My previous D/S dacs sounded like static fuzz. Modi Multibit is entirely different, I urge owners to try ocean sounds. It is realistic as if I am camping at the beach. Amazing little workhorse!

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #539 of 4,588

I'll be very interested to hear more about this specific comparison. I have an old Musical Fidelity V-DAC too, and I've been wondering if it is time to replace it. The Modi Multibit has caught my eye, so I'll be interested to see if you think it is a clear upgrade or just something with a bit of a different sound.

On the second day mine opened up a bit,It had about 30 hours on it and was more cohesive and enjoyable.

I,m running a Rouge amp with tubes and it was edging out the V Dac 11 by some margin.

I,m wondering if it gets better still?

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #540 of 4,588
So mimby SQ is superior then:
1) Mojo
2)m9xx
3)V dac 11
What did i miss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back