GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #4,247 of 5,553

OMG! I wonder, how many others have made this mistake? 
Are there people who even got rid of their H10, purely 'cos some dip switches were in the wrong position, and they didn't realise?!?

Maybe the infamous H10 burn-in routine (or myth) has added to the confusion; perhaps some have been distracted by the promise of a vast improvement, after a shaky start. So, they weren't put off, by the unimpressive beginning; they just kept on listening, and in the end accepted it as the Gustard H10 sound! I wonder.

But I wouldn't do that. Oh no! Not me! No way!! (He's writes whilst checking those dip switches, yet again!) 
eek.gif

H10 labels the related switch as "unbanl\bal" vertically which challenges my eye sight and intelligence, both of min are declining these days. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #4,248 of 5,553
  Don't feel too bad about this.....I have done the exact same thing, and flipped the switches today only after reading this...

Another world opened itself to me.....now I'm happy with my Fostex T-x00 as well....and I actually wondered about selling them today...

Thank goodness i'm not alone on this. Happy to hear  you've rediscovered the H10 before almost selling that TH-X00. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #4,249 of 5,553

Are there people who even got rid of their H10, purely 'cos some dip switches were in the wrong position, and they didn't realise?!?

Maybe the infamous H10 burn-in routine (or myth) has added to the confusion; perhaps some have been distracted by the promise of a vast improvement, after a shaky start. So, they weren't put off, by the unimpressive beginning; they just kept on listening, and in the end accepted it as the Gustard H10 sound! I wonder.

But I wouldn't do that. Oh no! Not me! No way!! (He's writes whilst checking those dip switches, yet again!) 
eek.gif

That would be quite sad. It's possible though.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #4,250 of 5,553

eek.gif

I think it's rather easy to make that mistake, particularly if you are using rca's (unbalanced).  If you have only been using xlr's (balanced) like I have,  it's a little more difficult to make the dip switch error. The reason for that is with balanced connectors, the wrong switch setting is absolutely horrible sounding...you will notice an unmistakable problem.

As for burn-in....no myth brother. It's been affirmed by dozens of us with almost the exact same experience, but, could someone possibly listen to rca's with the wrong dip switch setting and over time think it sounded better?...entirely possible.  You may be on to something there.  I sure hope there weren't more than a few Swabbies that had to suffer through this and perhaps thought we were all a bit crazy with our opinions. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #4,251 of 5,553
I think on the next one they need to make it a button instead of a dip switch for switching from unbalanced to balanced as I made that mistake twice. Forgetting about it being in balanced, or at least make it more clear.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #4,252 of 5,553
  I think it's rather easy to make that mistake, particularly if you are using rca's (unbalanced).  If you have only been using xlr's (balanced) like I have,  it's a little more difficult to make the dip switch error. The reason for that is with balanced connectors, the wrong switch setting is absolutely horrible sounding...you will notice an unmistakable problem.

As for burn-in....no myth brother. It's been affirmed by dozens of us with almost the exact same experience, but, could someone possibly listen to rca's with the wrong dip switch setting and over time think it sounded better?...entirely possible.  You may be on to something there.  I sure hope there weren't more than a few Swabbies that had to suffer through this and perhaps thought we were all a bit crazy with our opinions. 

I agree this mistake can be common on RCA connection because I just tested mine, when on XLR and its switched to unbalanced= no sound. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #4,253 of 5,553
I agree this mistake can be common on RCA connection because I just tested mine, when on XLR and its switched to unbalanced= no sound. 

Mine only plays on balanced XLR input only when the switch is in the up position. When the switches are down, no sound. Have not tried the RCA unbalanced input.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,254 of 5,553

I thought mine was dead when I got it and first turned it on. I connected to the XLR connectors and got nothing. Fortunately I remembered someone here talking about a switch, found them, switched them, all was good from there.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #4,256 of 5,553

H10 labels the related switch as "unbanl\bal" vertically which challenges my eye sight and intelligence, both of min are declining these days. 

Oh! Is that what is says?!? I just keep all the dip switches in the down position, and hope. 
confused.gif

No disagreement, about burn-in, here; I was just connecting with some who haven't noticed any real change.

Actually, I was trying to say that using the wrong connection settings could maybe have someone putting the poor sq down to the need for burn-in, regardless of whether it improves, or not. But, how long would someone wait, to hear this 'magical' post burning-in veil lifted, before they'd give up; not realising that that they'd so severely compromised the sound, simply due to an incorrect setting? 
Looking at least one of the affected swabbies, they've even gone and splashed out on Bursons (full boat) (not cheap!), and still continued listening with this issue, until now!!!

I haven't (yet) 'messed around' and experimented with trying the wrong setting, myself. But it would be interesting to quantify what kind of difference it makes; comparing it to both other amps and op-amp upgrades; as one user said, the sound was different, in a kind of disappointing way. But they still (reluctantly) accepted it. So I guess that the (wrong setting) sq is comparable to something that someone, somewhere, would actually use. Maybe happily! I wonder what kind of amp that is.
In the same repect, does switching, from the incorrect, to the correct setting improve the sq by more, or less, than upgrading to (say) 'full-boat' op-amps?

I guess that this interests me, because I think that it will help me to get a better understanding of what kind of comparisons people are making.
And yes; maybe there are some swabbies who thought that we're all full of hot air!

I think on the next one they need to make it a button instead of a dip switch for switching from unbalanced to balanced as I made that mistake twice. Forgetting about it being in balanced, or at least make it more clear.

I haven't checked, but I guess that this is another 'carry-over' from the V200. The dip switches are useful. But the fiddly and unclear (balanced/unbalanced) connection settings are causing people problems.

Anyway, I'd better check mine. Just one more time! 
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #4,257 of 5,553
Hi! 
I've been lurking this thread for a while. Got recommended about this amp after wanting to buy the Vioelectric V200, I currently own a pair of HD650s and an Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 PLUS with extra tubes. 

I just bought the Gustard H10 an hour ago, looking really forward to using it! So my question is if I should sell my Maverick D1 plus (DAC/preamp) and invest that money in the V5 upgrade. Or should I rather keep it, considering I have no other DAC and the Gustard H10 has no inbuilt DAC. For your information I'm also planning on upgrading my HD-650s to a pair of LCD2-s or Beyerdynamic T1:s or the HE-6.

If I were to sell my Maverick D1 Plus, what new DAC do you guys recommend paired with the H10? And please take the fact into consideration that I will be updrading my headphones. My budget on a DAC is around 300 dollars, so it would be a completely new DAC without any preamp + the H10 with the V5 upgrade. Or staying with my current DAC, upgrading the H10 with the V5 and keeping everything as it is.      

Best regards, really pleased of becoming an H10 owner. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #4,258 of 5,553
  Hi! 
I've been lurking this thread for a while. Got recommended about this amp after wanting to buy the Vioelectric V200, I currently own a pair of HD650s and an Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 PLUS with extra tubes. 

I just bought the Gustard H10 an hour ago, looking really forward to using it! So my question is if I should sell my Maverick D1 plus (DAC/preamp) and invest that money in the V5 upgrade. Or should I rather keep it, considering I have no other DAC and the Gustard H10 has no inbuilt DAC. For your information I'm also planning on upgrading my HD-650s to a pair of LCD2-s or Beyerdynamic T1:s or the HE-6.

If I were to sell my Maverick D1 Plus, what new DAC do you guys recommend paired with the H10? And please take the fact into consideration that I will be updrading my headphones. My budget on a DAC is around 300 dollars, so it would be a completely new DAC without any preamp + the H10 with the V5 upgrade. Or staying with my current DAC, upgrading the H10 with the V5 and keeping everything as it is.      

For an inexpensive DAC, I would definitely recommend SMSL M8. For the price, I don't think it can be beaten. It sometimes sell on Massdrop for $140 + . I got mine from a quick Amazon sale for $119 and I don't think my $800 DAC is better than the SMSL.  

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #4,259 of 5,553
  Hi! 

My experience is that Beyerdynamic T1 pairs better with a tube amp than H10. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #4,260 of 5,553
  Hi! 

I think you should also consider HE-560, great cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back