GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 23, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #4,280 of 5,554
OMG. I agree, this amp is a history.

I suspect that Burson will extend their liability to only their opamps, and it would not be unreasonable for Gustard to deny warranty as well, because they could not be held responsible IF upgraded opamp melted and short-circuited something (notice big IF - I am not saying that is what happened) . At best one may expect a discount offer for replacement amp if customer service is good and maker/retailer is concerned about retention.

That is why upgrades are a little bit dangerous territory, when something goes terribly wrong... its on an owner. Does not matter if it is hot-rodding a car, or 'swabbing' an amp.

Sorry about your misfortune.

Second burned H10 mentioned on those pages in last week or so. Dark days, mateys, time for some rum.

Guess so, 6 of my dual V5s and 2 of single V5 got burned. 2 of them are actually recent replacement.

My H10 was actually working after switching back to stock op-amps but alas , broke down after 3 days.

Contacted seller of Gustard H10, they said that my voltage regulator is dead and need to be replaced.

Awaiting them to sent over a new voltage regulator.

I requested Burson to exchange all my V5s into a Lycan head amp with a dual V5 and they agreed.

They Lycan is no slouch against the H10 with V5. My pass reference is Gustard H10 V5s with Hifiman 400S

Now is the new reference: Lycan V5 with Fostex TH-XOO, these 2 is beautifully matched.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #4,281 of 5,554
Guess so, 6 of my dual V5s and 2 of single V5 got burned. 2 of them are actually recent replacement.

My H10 was actually working after switching back to stock op-amps but alas , broke down after 3 days.

Contacted seller of Gustard H10, they said that my voltage regulator is dead and need to be replaced.

I requested Burson to exchange all my V5s into a Lycan head amp with a dual V5 and they agreed.

They Lycan is no slouch against the H10 with V5. My pass reference is Gustard H10 V5s with Hifiman 400S

Now is the new reference: Lycan V5 with Fostex TH-XOO, these 2 is beautifully matched.

Thanks for sharing this, slex.  

A bad voltage regulator is more likely to damage good op-amps than a succession of bad op-amps are likely to damage a good voltage regulator.  

It's analogous to a bad air compressor causing damage to a succession of perfectly good tires, due to over-inflation.  A succession of defective tires aren't likely to cause damage to a perfectly good air compressor.

We also have to keep in mind that Burson has previously posted:

The H10 is powering the original opamps at +/-16 Volt to 16.5 Volt (varying due to different main voltage settings).

That is above our stated maximum working voltage of +/-15 Volts. 

They went on to say that they would essentially accommodate the H10's higher swing voltage by not allowing future V5s to ship unless they...

... can tolerate +/-17 V.  ie 15% above its stated maximum.

The new batch of V5 based on this new QC process will be ready in 3 weeks (10th Feb 2015 2016)

Thus, a properly functioning H10 (with a good voltage regulator), is innately incompatible with properly functioning V5s, by nature of overpowering the Burson V5s that were tested to satisfy a stated maximum swing voltage of +/- 15V.  

Every V5 that has shipped (or that will ship) to H10 owners prior to 10 February 2016 will already be operating at higher than its specified maximum voltage (like over-inflating a tire rated for a maximum of 15 PSI, to 16 or 16.5 PSI).

Now imagine using the V5s in an H10 with a bad voltage regulator.  There's no telling what voltages they could suffer.

Hi guys,

Please allow us to clarify 2 aspects relating to recent discussions. 

The red enclosure of the V5 audio op-amp, the components, the PCB, the epoxy resins i.e. the entire V5 audio op-amp is designed to withstand up to 250 degrees celsius.  Well above what the human skin can handle.  Therefore, while it does generate more heat compared to IC based opamps, it is designed to do so.

In regard to the few opamps which stopped working or those with its casing loosen.  Those are definitely warranty issues and we'll certainly honour their life-time of warranty and replace them with brand new units.   Therefore, please contact us asap if you have encountered any such issues.  Apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks for all your ongoing support :)

Hi Guys,

Recently we have received a few warranty claims from customers using the V5 in their Gustard H10. Since the V5 had a very solid quality track record up until these incidents, we were very concerned by them. Therefore, we have obtained a H10 to investigate. 

Our findings: 

The H10 is powering the original opamps at +/-16 Volt to 16.5Volt (varying due to different main voltage settings). That is above our stated maximum working voltage of +/-15 volts. 

In our existing QC process, we only retain V5 opamps meeting our stated working range plus a 5% buffer zone.  ie.  Opamps that can do better than +/-16 volt stays and any that tolerates less are scrapped.

Our solution: 

Due to the overwhelming supports from H10 users, we have decided to implement a stricter QC process and only retain V5 which can tolerate +/-17V.  ie 15% above its stated maximum. The new batch of V5 based on this new QC process will be ready in 3 weeks (10th Feb 2015)

Same V5, higher in quality:

Please understand that the circuitry design of the V5 which you love will remain unchanged.  The tougher QC process will ensure that you will receive even higher quality V5s.  

Life-time warranty in action: 

For existing V5+H10 customers, please be assured that each and every Burson opamp is covered by a life-time warranty.  If your opamp fails anytime in the future, then we'll replace it with brand new ones. : ) 

For those customers with failed V5s, please email us direct on info@bursonaudio.com. Please allow us 3 to 4 weeks to prepare your replacement.  

We are as passionate about DIY audio as you are and with your ongoing support and suggestions, we’ll continue to push the technological boundaries of the Burson audio opamps for you. : )  

Thank you again for your support

Burson Audio

Hi Guys, 

To clarify, 

* We are introducing a stricter QC process, not redesigning the V5.
* All customers should continue to use their V5s and the chances are most of them will be able to handle the 16.5V+- with ease.
* If any of your V5 develops any issues then we’ll replace them with brand new units. 

Thanks for all your support guys :) 

Dennis

Mike

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #4,282 of 5,554
Thanks for sharing this, slex.  

A bad voltage regulator is more likely to damage good op-amps than a succession of bad op-amps are likely to damage a good voltage regulator.  

It's analogous to a bad air compressor causing damage to a succession of perfectly good tires, due to over-inflation.  A succession of defective tires aren't likely to cause damage to an air compressor.

We also have to keep in mind that Burson has previously posted:

They went on to say that they would essentially accommodate the H10's higher swing voltage by not allowing future V5s to ship unless they...

Thus, a properly functioning H10 (with a good voltage regulator), is innately incompatible with properly functioning V5s, by nature of overpowering the Burson V5s that were tested to satisfy a stated maximum swing voltage of +/- 15V.  

Every V5 that has shipped or that will ship to H10 owners prior to 10 February 2016 will already be operating at higher than its specified maximum voltage.

Now imagine using the V5s in an H10 with a bad voltage regulator...

Thats comforting to know. I was wondering the match up between Gustard H10 with full V5 against Burson Soloist SL MK2. They are priced the same.

Anyone have any comparison?

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,283 of 5,554
Wow, almost seems like I caught my V5's at a good time.  My V5S started having the static issues after a couple of days, then a few days after that my V5D's had the issue.  When I opened the H10 up, the V5D can be seen below.  Glad I caught it before it popped like MrIcy's.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,284 of 5,554
Either I haven't burned in my singles long enough or I'm lucky, 35 hours in and my set of V5 singles sound great. I ended up grabbing a schiit wyrd to go along with my odac and now I can turn the amp to max without hearing any static or popping. (not that I'd ever want to do that while playing any music) Talk about clean signal.

I'll be grabbing a schiit bimby soon to finish off the ultimate combo-burrito. I can't wait! (The upgrading escalates!)

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #4,286 of 5,554
^ Looks like an over-inflated tire.  
wink.gif

Basically, every H10 owner using current-version V5s is operating them out of spec. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #4,288 of 5,554
New member here. I just joined the SS Gustard a month ago.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or am I just unlucky? I've already emailed Burson but I'm wondering if there's a way to reach the makers of the Gustard so I can see about getting this fixed or if I would have to buy a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I actually helped MrIcy with his H10 purchase recently. Just wanted to chime in here. We literally just got the unit from a fellow gustard SS shipmate here like a month ago before it blew up on mricy (quite literally), which royally sucks. I personally think someone either from burson or gustard should do something to help out here. 

Also my personal opinion is that everyone who has the older V5s ship them back to burson before it blows up on them...(I recently got a brand new replacement for my single channel V5s before i sold my H10 to @willowbrook so he should be ok.) Just don't want anyone to have to go through what Mricy did

Welcome and sorry for your troubles, Mricy!

You really have 'joined the boat', big time!

Actually, I think that I came pretty close to joining, as far as you; I think that my V5's have gone bad.

I was just letting my kit start to warm up, (switched on, but not playing, and the volume at the minimum) when I heard 2 loud pops, and maybe some crackling, coming my my headphones (that were, thankfully, sitting next to me, rather than on my head)!
The next thing that I noticed was the H10's relay cycling on and off, every few seconds.
I'd already unplugged my phones. But then I thought it's definitely a good idea to switch off the unit, from the mains.

Maybe, if I'd not been sitting right next to my gear (which is quite a regular occurrence!!!) it could have gone unnoticed. Then I could have been in the same boat as poor Mricy!

I've emailed Burson, but I have yet to receive a reply.

I've replaced the V5s with the original op-amps, and everything seems to be fine, now. The sound's not even so bad 
blink.gif

Regarding liability: it's not very clear; Burson have mentioned that the H10 has abnormally high voltage supply, to the op-amps. And this is what's causing the issue.
Whether the H10's "high voltage" is 'abnormal' by industry standards, or if it's just Burson's opinion, I guess would be the crux of the issue here.

I do recall reading, posted by someone in communication with Gustard, that they do not advise the changing of any op-amps. Awareness of the high voltage could be the reason why they stated this. Maybe they are aware that, if op-amp swapping, there would be the possibility of someone fitting op-amps that cannot handle the H10's op-amp supply voltage. This appears to be the case, in this instance.

So, to me, it appears to be a question of whether it is the onus of Gustard to make an amp with a 'within spec' voltage, or Burson to supply op-amps that can handle the same kind of voltage that others op-amps appear to be able to cope with, without issue?

TBH, I think that Burson have handled this quite well, so far; they've even acquired an H10, to get a better understanding of this continuing issue. BUT, IMHO, now that Mricy's experience has shown that the op-amp problem may do some permanent damage, they should change their policy (of accepting returns from H10 owners, once there has been an issue) to accepting returns from all H10 owners, who haven't already received the new 'up-specced' V5's. This is, of course, unless Mricy's is a unique issue, that can be put down to a separate, and unrelated, problem with the H10.

As for Gustard, (again writing what I recall that someone in contact with Gustard has written) they are reportedly happy to service, free of charge, any issues with their H10, no-matter where it was bought. Whether this gracious offer has a time limit; or extends to problems caused by 'user interference' (replacing parts, such as op-amps); or is even true, is something that needs to be found out, especially for those with broken headphone amps!

P.S. @MrIcy Have a look through this (or the Gustard DAC) thread; I'm sure there's an email address (beginning with 's'....maybe 'seawon???@?.com'), around here, somewhere. This is reported to be Gustard's customer service, located in Hong Kong (so they should be able to communicate in English).

P.P.S. I was a page behind, when writing this post; it really is looking like a liability; to have 'standard' V5's fitted to a Gustard H10!!

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #4,289 of 5,554
I have some serious reservations about the Gustard with v5's at this point, I cancelled my order of the v5s.

Will tightening up QC really fix this problem in the long run? Or will they fail later on? It seems to me that a design change may be needed for the V5's to be able to take the higher voltage properly.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,290 of 5,554

By all the information available, it seems to me that Burson opamps work in H10 in a borderline configuration such that if one side is not within the thin tolerance, then their collaboration will fail with the death of one side or two. Quite a few Bursons were burned in this particular amp suggests me that this amp seems be out of this narrow collaboration range. 

I also sense a trace of "overclocking" flavor in H10. Overclocking is often dangerously fun for those want to pursue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back