GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,232 of 5,554
I definitely haven't loved the sound since I received the H10. It was actually quite the disappointment when I first listened to it and even after it burned in. Sounded unclear with roll off at both ends of the frequency spectrum. It did have a larger soundstage than my Z97-A though. I figured that this was just how the amp sounded and went with it and hoped it would get better over time. Now that I have the amp properly set up all of my qualms are solved. Now, hopefully, with the bursons the sound will improve even further. I would love to read your impressions of having the dip switches in the wrong positions just for laughs haha, I don't see you listening to it that way for long though haha.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,233 of 5,554
I have over 24 hours on my full boat Bursons. I haven't swapped back to stock duals but I do believe I hear something better. It sounds as if the mid bass has more presence or impact. Maybe a slight bit more clarity throughout the entire spectrum. And dare I say maybe even a blacker background.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #4,234 of 5,554
  I definitely haven't loved the sound since I received the H10. It was actually quite the disappointment when I first listened to it and even after it burned in. Sounded unclear with roll off at both ends of the frequency spectrum. It did have a larger soundstage than my Z97-A though. I figured that this was just how the amp sounded and went with it and hoped it would get better over time. Now that I have the amp properly set up all of my qualms are solved. Now, hopefully, with the bursons the sound will improve even further. I would love to read your impressions of having the dip switches in the wrong positions just for laughs haha, I don't see you listening to it that way for long though haha.

"Loving it!" Yeah, I'm sorry about that; I just couldn't resist kicking someone, while they're down. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

It just goes to show what a subjective game this is! But it doesn't say much for your previous amp!

Maybe, with this major dip switch and op-amp upgrade, you should take a break from critical listening; you're surely going to be in some kind of 'Goldylocks' zone for a while now; every track is going to sound great (or at least very different)!!!
Really, what you're effectively doing is discovering both H10 and V5S, simultaneously.
But.....saying that......if you're going to be a busy op-amp swapper (more than I've been), you could still glean some useful impressions. But it could become tiresome.
Whatever. Just enjoy your music! 
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #4,236 of 5,554
  It is a very small issue that wouldn't bother anyone using the bursons with the H10 but Zilch is using these with a smaller amp with plans to cut the top in the shape of the bursons so they can stick out of the top. You have to put yourself in his/her shoes and imagine doing all the work of measuring,cutting, and fitting just to have the op amps not be center and look like **** in the end result. 

It's an extremely small issue but would irritate anyone who would put that much effort into creating a nice custom diy amp enclosure and then have the $200 op amps look crooked. Especially in the long run. 

Thanks for your empathy!  

I understand everyone else's point of view, but as MLegend has referenced, I've purchased a spare case for my portable amp that I'll be paying a machinist to modify, cutting close-fitting rectangular holes through which the V5 Duals can protrude.  I really don't think anyone here would actually enjoy going to all of that effort to have the Bursons sitting out of alignment with each other and with the case. 

And what would you do if you had two DIP8 sockets on your amp's PCB, sitting closely enough that there was only just room enough for a pair of V5s to sit right alongside each other, having obtained their dimensions in advance, measuring carefully, only to have them show up with their cases twisted relative to their DIP8 pins, such that they couldn't be plugged into the closely-set DIP8 sockets?   

I can't order V5 Singles to replace the 4x LME49990s in my amp because even  if  the V5 singles were centered properly over their pins, their case dimensions exceed the available real estate in my amp.  I am therefore actually glad that my portable amp doesn't have enough space for properly centered V5 singles, because I'd be facing the possibility of getting more twisted V5s and finding myself even further disappointed.

But yeah, for the vast majority of buyers who have plenty of space around the DIP8 sockets to accommodate twisted V5s AND who can put a lid over the V5s, keeping a twisted but otherwise perfectly functioning V5 would be a no-brainer - I agree.

Mike

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #4,237 of 5,554
  Singles have been installed. No issues so far......thank goodness. Let the 100hr burn in BEGIN! 

Does anyone know if it would be safe or not to leave the screws out while the amp is powered on? I'm planning on doing a lot of back and forth comparing when everything is settled. I have already put the screws back for now in just to be safe. 

Also, for the balanced/unbalanced switches on the back, if i'm using rca output should I have the switch up or down? I just noticed it was up when I was taking out the back screws. Thank you!

I still haven't put the cover back yet. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #4,238 of 5,554
Tragic symmetry

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #4,241 of 5,554
BassDigger said:
(Myself) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  .... 'Goldylocks' zone ....
Whatever. Just enjoy your music! 
L3000.gif

rolleyes.gif
 Err....maybe 'honeymoon phase', would have been a better metaphor! I've been watching too many space exploration documentaries!! 
blink.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #4,243 of 5,554
  Alright cool. Thank you for the reply. Might leave the lid on so the amp doesn't accumulate dust over time. Really? Hmm, well hopefully this doesn't change the sound too much if at all cause it's been up since i've had the amp. Can't believe i've had it on wrong this whole time. Will report back if the sound changes at all.

Don't feel too bad about this.....I have done the exact same thing, and flipped the switches today only after reading this...

Another world opened itself to me.....now I'm happy with my Fostex T-x00 as well....and I actually wondered about selling them today...

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #4,244 of 5,554
  Don't feel too bad about this.....I have done the exact same thing, and flipped the switches today only after reading this...

Another world opened itself to me.....now I'm happy with my Fostex T-x00 as well....and I actually wondered about selling them today...

OMG! I wonder, how many others have made this mistake? 
Are there people who even got rid of their H10, purely 'cos some dip switches were in the wrong position, and they didn't realise?!?

Maybe the infamous H10 burn-in routine (or myth) has added to the confusion; perhaps some have been distracted by the promise of a vast improvement, after a shaky start. So, they weren't put off, by the unimpressive beginning; they just kept on listening, and in the end accepted it as the Gustard H10 sound! I wonder.

But I wouldn't do that. Oh no! Not me! No way!! (He's writes whilst checking those dip switches, yet again!) 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back