GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #4,216 of 5,554
Good thing they have lifetime warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, but I can't wait to find out what the return postage will cost me (as a result of their failure to notice this):

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #4,217 of 5,554
Yes, but I can't wait to find out what the return postage will cost me (as a result of their failure to notice this):

I know that's unacceptable and you shouldn't have to live with it. But if it installs without issue and functions properly, once you put the cover on it's outta sight.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #4,218 of 5,554
He's one of the <1% that's going to cut out his amp case and build an enclosure around it. Why not just increase the dimensions by 1mm and call it a day I don't know.

If Burson is really going to replace those opamps because of something so trivial then they really are an A class company

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4,219 of 5,554
  He's one of the <1% that's going to cut out his amp case and build an enclosure around it. Why not just increase the dimensions by 1mm and call it a day I don't know.

If Burson is really going to replace those opamps because of something so trivial then they really are an A class company

I was thinking the same thing. Were they mine and working properly, I wouldn't worry about returning them. Especially were I concerned about shipping costs.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,220 of 5,554
It is a very small issue that wouldn't bother anyone using the bursons with the H10 but Zilch is using these with a smaller amp with plans to cut the top in the shape of the bursons so they can stick out of the top. You have to put yourself in his/her shoes and imagine doing all the work of measuring,cutting, and fitting just to have the op amps not be center and look like **** in the end result. 

It's an extremely small issue but would irritate anyone who would put that much effort into creating a nice custom diy amp enclosure and then have the $200 op amps look crooked. Especially in the long run. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #4,221 of 5,554

I missed that part... That makes more sense. But still, going back to the original thought about Burson having stellar service to actually agree to replace them based on this problem... I still holds!

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #4,222 of 5,554
Singles have been installed. No issues so far......thank goodness. Let the 100hr burn in BEGIN! 

Does anyone know if it would be safe or not to leave the screws out while the amp is powered on? I'm planning on doing a lot of back and forth comparing when everything is settled. I have already put the screws back for now in just to be safe. 

Also, for the balanced/unbalanced switches on the back, if i'm using rca output should I have the switch up or down? I just noticed it was up when I was taking out the back screws. Thank you!

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #4,224 of 5,554
Alright cool. Thank you for the reply. Might leave the lid on so the amp doesn't accumulate dust over time. Really? Hmm, well hopefully this doesn't change the sound too much if at all cause it's been up since i've had the amp. Can't believe i've had it on wrong this whole time. Will report back if the sound changes at all.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4,225 of 5,554
  Singles have been installed. No issues so far......thank goodness. Let the 100hr burn in BEGIN! 

Does anyone know if it would be safe or not to leave the screws out while the amp is powered on? I'm planning on doing a lot of back and forth comparing when everything is settled. I have already put the screws back for now in just to be safe. 

Also, for the balanced/unbalanced switches on the back, if i'm using rca output should I have the switch up or down? I just noticed it was up when I was taking out the back screws. Thank you!

Like everything, it depends on your situation; if you've got a kiddy, of an age who likes to 'investigate', running around, (or if you'll be moving the amp around) I'd leave the screws tightened. But otherwise, screws out is fine; they don't effect the operation.
I've replaced lid and screws, but the screws aren't properly tightened. This is because I don't own the hex keys, and I want easy access, if/whenever I do start 'messing around' again.

Note: If you're going to leave the lid off, just be careful; there're some voltages going around in there!

"Back and forth comparing"?!? It looks like you're going to do a better reviewing job than I have. I look forward to reading about your findings. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4,226 of 5,554
OMG..............how could I have been so foolish to not even flip the switch before just to see if there was a difference. While listening to a track I pushed the dip switch down and BAM! Double the volume and power! I feel so stupid right now. I've been listening to this amp with the wrong setting for MONTHS! 

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #4,227 of 5,554
OMG..............how could I have been so foolish to not even flip the switch before just to see if there was a difference. While listening to a track I pushed the dip switch down and BAM! Double the volume and power! I feel so stupid right now. I've been listening to this amp with the wrong setting for MONTHS! 

Yeah it's labeled UNBAL/BAL and kind of scrunched up. With my poor eyesight I just assumed it was one word UNBALANCE. So when I first got it I flipped the switch up for unbalance and thought my amp was broken.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #4,228 of 5,554

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
 Don't worry; we all do silly things (hang on...just checked; I forgot if I'd checked those dip switches!!); I did a full day's H10 'burning-in', with the headphone jack only 3/4 of the way in! Later that day, when putting the 'phones on, to check the state of play, I thought the amp, or even worse my LCD2's, were broken; the sound was bad, and all out of balance!
Now I always make sure that I properly push that jack all the way in, until it 'clunks' home (It's a good socket/connector!).

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,229 of 5,554
Good GOD! Changing those 2 switches has literally transformed this amp into what i've always wanted it to be. I've always ran the volume at around 50%(12 o' clock) with my mad dogs (3.2) at no gain with foobar. That would be the maximum I would ever go. I'm at 9 o clock now and it's just as loud as it was at 12 with the dip switches in the up position, This thing is crazy powerful! I don't want to say the sound changed as well without prefacing that the bursons have been running for about 2 hours now, so that could also be a factor in the change of sound. 

This amp sounds more neutral to me now compared to before. Extension at both ends is now improved as well as the clarity of the whole frequency spectrum. Decay is more apparent and last longer. Vocals have a lot more clarity and stood out the most besides bass extension and added air. This is awesome! 

If you think i'm crazy or exaggerating then you might want to try this yourself. I don't think you'll keep the dip switch in the up position for a long period of time though haha (this is assuming you're using an rca connection and not balanced)

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #4,230 of 5,554
Yeah it's labeled UNBAL/BAL and kind of scrunched up. With my poor eyesight I just assumed it was one word UNBALANCE. So when I first got it I flipped the switch up for unbalance and thought my amp was broken.

TBH, I didn't even know that there were the balanced/unbalanced dip switches, until a while after getting the amp.

I'm tempted to try them in the wrong position, just to see what kind of sound @MLegend has been living with (and loving) for months!!! 
k701smile.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
o2smile.gif
dt880smile.png
floatsmile.png
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back