GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
May 9, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,726 of 5,553
Thank you buddy! I guess you mean you picked them up today. I'm in Ontario but this is in line with what I thought would happen more or less at this point. 
I'm in Vancouver. Surprisingly Canada Post delivered it today. Signature required. Don't use the cheap power cord they ship with it. I thought I had a bad AC connector on the unit, but swapping out the included cord fixed it.

May 9, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,727 of 5,553
Some initial observations with the H10 (PreGain set to +6) and my headphones. DAC is an iFi Micro iDSD.

Sennheiser HD800 - All the comments that the H10 tames the 6K hump that bothers some with the HD800 is confirmed based on my initial listen. I find that the H10 maintains nice bass weight and speed, decent energy in the treble, but does seem smoother with older and less than stellar recordings. It would seem to share this characteristic with the V200, which I have listened to previously. Good soundstage, and good detail retrieval. 

Fostex TH900 - Low noise floor at +6, and good swing on the volume pot. Not much of a sonic difference vs the headphone out of my iFi Micro iDSD, possibly a little better bass impact, but I couldn't quite get the volume matched. I've been really happy with the iDSD/TH900 combo, so not disappointed that it is on equal footing.

Build quality is decent, although the power switch feels a little cheap. I would say that it should be competitive with some well respected more expensive gear.

I'd recommend it as very low risk to disappoint with either of these headphones

May 10, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #1,729 of 5,553
is the h10 better than the A2 ? i didn't know that

May 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,731 of 5,553
if you ask the folks over on the schiit thread, they may think the A2 better
it depends on who you ask as to what's better, 
also, there's really no way to measure "how much better" is there ?

May 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,733 of 5,553
@jaywillin
I don't know the answers, that is why i ask questions on head-fi 
wink_face.gif

And i assumed the H10 is better because it's more expensive, and is supposed to be a clone of 1000$ amp, so 4 times the price of the Asgard 2...so it makes sense it is better.

May 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,734 of 5,553
May 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,735 of 5,553
Best we can hope for is for someone that has A/B'd them..

I have only A/Bed it with the Asgard 1 not the 2. The Asgard was too hot in the treble to me and lacked a bit of the lower end power the H10 has. Soundstage seems to be slightly larger with the H10 - also the LCD-2 and HE-400 just sounded much better with the H10.

I A/Bed the H10 with the Lyr2 with Bugle boy tubes and stock tubes - had both at home to buy used. For me, the H10 won and that was the one I bought. Not entirely sure what it was but the H10 just felt more musical and enjoyable to me. The Lyr2 was no slouch either and I would probably be equally happy with it. But with my headphones I found the H10 to sound more tubey than the Lyr2 - I liked the H10 better.

by around 12.76 AEP maybe 12.35 AEP even.

Cheers,
K

Ok, this was a joke. Every time someone asks "how much better" I answer in AEP (a totally artificial and nonsensical measurement system I made up myself, it's Audiophile Enjoyment Points) usually Amps score between 12 and 13 AEP (quite a lot more than 11) while DACs score 5-ish - headphones though can go up to mental 29 AEPs.

Cheers,
K

May 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,736 of 5,553
May 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,737 of 5,553
May 10, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,738 of 5,553
  @jaywillin
I don't know the answers, that is why i ask questions on head-fi 
wink_face.gif

And i assumed the H10 is better because it's more expensive, and is supposed to be a clone of 1000$ amp, so 4 times the price of the Asgard 2...so it makes sense it is better.

i'm not trying to be argumentative , it's just a very hard question to answer, with no definitive answer, you ask ten different people, you may get ten different answers
and i'd suggest caution with assuming because something cost more, it's better, that'd be like saying that someone who has a higher post count on head-fi must know more.

my point is its all relative, i might think one way, someone else another

May 10, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,739 of 5,553
I would like to make a suggestion that postings regarding shipping issues should never be posted anywhere on Head-Fi; unless perhaps it's a very unusual issue such as you never received your package after 2 months. These forums are used to help prospective buyers gather information pertinent to making a purchase decision, and for members to gain useful information. Keep in mind that these posts are more or less forever, so it's a pretty safe bet that Joe Blow in 2020 won't really care that somebody had to wait a couple extra days for his package in 2015. I know this may come across the wrong way, but this is in effort to make (at least this forum) more concise and clutter free.

May 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,740 of 5,553
Any of you guys eq with the H10? I have to admit, I finally broke down and eqed for the first time ever. I guess I am a basshead as I just wanted more bass out of my H10/HE500 combo, so I am running an 8db bass boost in foobar and pretty happy with the results. I may back off a bit in time, but I got much more punch now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back