GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
May 13, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,756 of 5,554
  I have both and I would say it depends to a point on the tubes in the Lyr.
The H10 is certainly quieter and I like the volume/gain  control options with
the dip switches.  Part of the difference too is the "smoothness" of Class A
vs. a hybrid output on the lyr.  Both have ample output power to run any of
my dynamics or planars.
Hibuck...

I would agree with this. The Lyr 2 cleans up the noise floor considerably, but it is not an issue for me. 

The H10 seems more technically superior to me, but when the Lyr has decent tubes (and you need not spend too exorbitantly), it can be wonderful. It sings and scintillates with strings and voices, and the H10 cannot reproduce the holographic effect that only tubes are capable of. I still think the H10 is more resolving and detailed, but only slightly. Moreover, their signatures are entirely different, so it really depends on what one is looking for in sound. 

May 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,757 of 5,554
Mine just arrived safely and working (though the 230 or 115 volt ac not being marked made me a little nervous :p) will give impressions soon paired to my hd600 and denon ahd2000 my previous amplifier was a woo audio wa6 with ugprades. For the source ill be using is a dacmagic100 through toslink optical out of my pc. Only gripe i have so far sometimes the volume knob grinds against the chassis but that can easily be fixed by loosening the screw that holds it in place and sliding it forward a bit.

May 13, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,758 of 5,554
Mine just arrived safely and working (though the 230 or 115 volt ac not being marked made me a little nervous :p) will give impressions soon paired to my hd600 and denon ahd2000 my previous amplifier was a woo audio wa6 with ugprades. For the source ill be using is a dacmagic100 through toslink optical out of my pc. Only gripe i have so far sometimes the volume knob grinds against the chassis but that can easily be fixed by loosening the screw that holds it in place and sliding it forward a bit.

There was one other poster that had this from the Massdrop sale. He posted here about it. If you open up the case you might see something pushing down on or against the the pot. In other words, mine is smooth and that grind is not part of the amp's intended character. I am sorry this happened to you. Not sure why.

May 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,759 of 5,554
There was one other poster that had this from the Massdrop sale. He posted here about it. If you open up the case you might see something pushing down on or against the the pot. In other words, mine is smooth and that grind is not part of the amp's intended character. I am sorry this happened to you. Not sure why.

I fixed it just by loosening the volume knob with an alan key and moving it forward the grinding is gone now.
As for first impressions very good
Channel Imbalance almost non existent and only really noticeable at very low volumes with super sensitive iems (i have it from standard gain so lower gain it would be even better)
Noise floor is also ridiculously silent. IEMS on standard gain (which you shouldnt be doing) you can barely pick up on any noise and its non existent in my other headphones. (even sensitive ones like the d2000s)

Too early to comment on its sound yet.

May 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,760 of 5,554
I hope that mine from massdrop come marked as 115v as this long wait and something like that happens, i would be annoyed.

May 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,762 of 5,554
  I hope that mine from massdrop come marked as 115v as this long wait and something like that happens, i would be annoyed.

you can switch between the voltages im pretty sure but you need to pull the case apart in order to do so.

Yeah, that's already been discussed here; if you look earlier in the thread, I think somebody has uploaded some pics showing the voltage switches, located between the transformers.
Looks pretty easy to set, (but I guess that it'll already be set to the country of destination.).

May 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,764 of 5,554
I fixed it just by loosening the volume knob with an alan key and moving it forward the grinding is gone now.

As for first impressions very good

Channel Imbalance almost non existent and only really noticeable at very low volumes with super sensitive iems (i have it from standard gain so lower gain it would be even better)

Noise floor is also ridiculously silent. IEMS on standard gain (which you shouldnt be doing) you can barely pick up on any noise and its non existent in my other headphones. (even sensitive ones like the d2000s)

Too early to comment on its sound yet.

Yeah, if you peruse this thread you will see some pretty varying impressions regarding burn-in/warm-up.

I hated it at first and was set upon selling it through the third day constantly running music through it. It sounded terrible compared to the Lyr. Something happened on the fourth day that just made it come alive for some reason. The contrast in impressions was pretty drastic. Now the H10 has usurped my Lyr's slot on the desktop, at least for the time being. Switching back to the Lyr never leaves me feeling disappointed though, as I "have a thing" for tubes:)

May 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,765 of 5,554
Fyi: vintage audio lab sent me an h10 instead of the x12 I ordered. They refunded me the cost of shipping it back and told me he would mail me an x12 today. Guy is a class act about this so far. This should ease peoples concerns about buying from these eBay sellers.

May 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,766 of 5,554
Fyi: vintage audio lab sent me an h10 instead of the x12 I ordered. They refunded me the cost of shipping it back and told me he would mail me an x12 today. Guy is a class act about this so far. This should ease peoples concerns about buying from these eBay sellers.

Thats good they took care of you. Annoying they messed up the product though. Let us know what you think of the X12. What dac are upgrading from ?

May 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,767 of 5,554
Modi 1, I am expecting a significant upgrade (I hope anyway) . I was really disappointed when I opened it up, but 5 mins later I got over it. For the price these guys are making these things it is hard to expect much in terms of shipping speed and customer service. I think vintage is handling it great thus far.

May 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,769 of 5,554
Modi 1, I am expecting a significant upgrade (I hope anyway) . I was really disappointed when I opened it up, but 5 mins later I got over it. For the price these guys are making these things it is hard to expect much in terms of shipping speed and customer service. I think vintage is handling it great thus far.

It's okay. I owned a Modi 1. You are going to be hearing a major upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back