GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 26, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #3,916 of 8,869
When I used my GF’s lenovo, it bypassed Balena and winzip just grabbed the file. I’m a mac user, so not used to the soviet era style interface. I didn’t realize I had to “extract all” from the file I’d highlighted. Once I did that, the process just unfolded. I’d almost call it intuitive. Almost. Maybe there’s something in that for you Tom?

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #3,917 of 8,869
When I used my GF’s lenovo, it bypassed Balena and winzip just grabbed the file. I’m a mac user, so not used to the soviet era style interface. I didn’t realize I had to “extract all” from the file I’d highlighted. Once I did that, the process just unfolded. I’d almost call it intuitive. Almost. Maybe there’s something in that for you Tom?
I did try that - thank you...

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #3,918 of 8,869
@searchingtom As a last resort option, you could try the below steps to take the R26 itself out of the card reading & flashing process in case - as seems increasingly likely - it's the problem here:
  1. using an SD card reader holding a fresh/second 32GB Micro-SD card*, reader connected directly your computer via USB etc, follow the steps re Balena etc to flash the Gustarender v1.4 firmware to this card i.e. R26 itself not in play here at all.
  2. with the R26 turned off/unplugged from power, remove the physical Micro-SD card in the R26 that holds the Gustarender firmware and put this to one side
  3. insert new flashed card per 1, switch R26 on and try this
  4. If successful, celebrate with Bourbon. If not retry steps 1 & 3 and/or replace with OG card put aside at step 2 and gnash teeth.
*I'm not sure what drive format Gustard use for the card so you may need to try a few. Can anyone else recommend which it should be? Edit - I guess the flashed image probably takes care of this.

As migo said, it has an SD card for the firmware.
sdcard.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #3,919 of 8,869
iirc my Gustard was in the hidden section. I see you have one hidden device. Have you tried clicking in there? I also found that the first usb c cable I tried (an apple one which was usb c to usb c) did not work in recognising the drive but a regular usb c to usb a worked fine (into a standard multiport).

There are no issues by the way in staying on v1.3 unless you have the hum some people complain about or the dsd pop.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #3,920 of 8,869
I would echo what Odezra suggested. I have two R26’s and spent countless hours with over 16 usb-c to usb-c cables of different lengths and brands to no avail. UNTIL, I whipped out an older usb-c to usb cable and mated it to a usb to usb-c dongle like wire and it was instantly recognized in my Dell windows usb-c only laptop. Keep trying.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #3,921 of 8,869
I would echo what Odezra suggested. I have two R26’s and spent countless hours with over 16 usb-c to usb-c cables of different lengths and brands to no avail. UNTIL, I whipped out an older usb-c to usb cable and mated it to a usb to usb-c dongle like wire and it was instantly recognized in my Dell windows usb-c only laptop. Keep trying.
When I tried, it originally failed with a 10ft usb c to usb c cable. I was successful when I tried a 6ft usb c to usb a cable. Hoping you find a solution. Fingers crossed!!!

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #3,923 of 8,869
First time Gustard have incoporated a network streamer on their DACs. Therefore we're guinea pigs ...:pig2:.
But seeing how accomodating their support channel (very rare for a chinese brand), I think they are working/serious to make it better (product/brand).

Same too with my DAC/Streamer-HUB/LPS stack. Had woes in the begining since its has some very interesting design and functions. But later and until now, have always smile on my face.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #3,924 of 8,869
The fact is we R26 users should not have such difficulty updating our units. It should be a simple task for all.
Hard to disagree with this! I had a failed first attempt with Balena Etcher on Windows (froze during decompression), but second attempt went seamlessly. So perhaps I was one of the lucky ones. Was totally worth it for me as the loud DSD pops I was getting were fixed.

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #3,925 of 8,869
FWIW Tom, I think there is something to the cable idea. I went out and bought a fancy high-transfer cable just for this, and it failed. I never put it down to cables until now, but when things worked it was with a cheap amazon cable from a three pack I bought for our cars. I'll also tell you that I had the same issue in Balena, I'd open the "hidden drives" and there still was no 32 gig drive there, just my mac's drives. I was never able to successfully use my Mac with Balena, it was only the Lenovo that worked. But there's another guide on page 150 here, post 2240 by Super Sonico that just might do the trick, and it has a file for the 11-15 update as well. Take a look at it, there's some sequence he explains well there.

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #3,926 of 8,869
FWIW Tom, I think there is something to the cable idea. I went out and bought a fancy high-transfer cable just for this, and it failed. I never put it down to cables until now, but when things worked it was with a cheap amazon cable from a three pack I bought for our cars. I'll also tell you that I had the same issue in Balena, I'd open the "hidden drives" and there still was no 32 gig drive there, just my mac's drives. I was never able to successfully use my Mac with Balena, it was only the Lenovo that worked. But there's another guide on page 150 here, post 2240 by Super Sonico that just might do the trick, and it has a file for the 11-15 update as well. Take a look at it, there's some sequence he explains well there.
Thanks for responding so well. I will dig into this and not give up (at least yet :)). Thank you again for your efforts to help !

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #3,927 of 8,869
Has there been any system firmware release past 2022-11-15 ?
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing one.

I still don't know where at gustard.cn you can download their system firmware's... I was only able to obtain 2022-11-15 from a post here.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother this thread with this question, and I would just check from Gustard, but again, it doesn't appear they post them.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #3,930 of 8,869
You're right comzee, my mistake. I know it's somewhere on their site because someone linked it here a few weeks back, but damned if I can find it now. I looked on Shenzhen's site too, no system FW. Here's the file from SuperSonico's post 2240, p 250 of this thread:

Attachments

• Gustard_R26_CT_221115_via_type-C.zip
    281.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back