GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 23, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #8,867 of 8,955
Thanks, but I’m not sure that’s quite the same issue. Also the firmware for clicking when sample rate changes appears to be older than the one I’m using.

Then it would be cersuchen with the latest firmware, otherwise there was also talk of a memory card.
As far as I know, you can open the device for the exchange.
What do you use Roon or Hqplayer?
If so, I would try to set the sampling rate where you like it.

May 23, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #8,869 of 8,955
As I mentioned the device clicks when there is no active audio source playing. I don’t think the device is defective. Just wondered what others who had encountered this had done.

Thanks for the tips btw.
I have some electronics relay clicking on switch-on. Have to be up close to unit. Same with external internal clock change I believe. Nothing loud or concerning, just what it does.

May 23, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #8,870 of 8,955
Thanks to @sajunky who pointed me to this really interesting DIY audio thread to search for some information on PCM768 support on an Amanero USB chipset, the same chipset used by the excellent Audio-Gd DI-20HE and DI-24HE DDCs, I stumbled across this post comparing the Spring 3 and the R26 by none other than Ian Canada. Note both DACs were using a highly optimised, reclocked streamer feeding I2S to both.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-621#post-7679376

IMG_0215.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #8,871 of 8,955
Just had a read. Well as what WE have already confirmed even at the begining, R26 SCALES well when either: (A) fed by better source (streamer/clock/DDC or combination) or (B) some tweaks done in the unit.

May 24, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #8,872 of 8,955
Ian Canada’s streamer setup experimentation with Spring 3 from late last year, as more recently also used with the R26 in the comparison above.

https://iancanada.ca/blogs/news/imp...ked-ddc-streamer-transport-and-sc-pure-clocks

He notes the positive effects a more precise oscillator and lower noise power supplies each have on a streamer being used to send a synchronous stream via i2S to a DAC operating in NOS or DSD Direct mode - in which case the clock used by the DAC is the master clock signal provided by the streamer over i2S.

I quite agree @m-i-c-k-e-y nothing too new or surprising there in terms of improvements and scaling… just nice to hear from another source. All matches my experience with the R26 used with a DDC or streamer or two. Not to mention the odd USB regenerator, switch or FMC, acknowledging this bunch is asynchronous so a little different from what Ian Canada was testing… it’s just the same things matter - clean power and operational/oscillator precision.

May 24, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #8,873 of 8,955
Thanks to @sajunky who pointed me to this really interesting DIY audio thread to search for some information on PCM768 support on an Amanero USB chipset, the same chipset used by the excellent Audio-Gd DI-20HE and DI-24HE DDCs, I stumbled across this post comparing the Spring 3 and the R26 by none other than Ian Canada. Note both DACs were using a highly optimised, reclocked streamer feeding I2S to both.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-621#post-7679376

Hello,
do you know which device this is where he tried it and got good results?
A streamer with DDC would be a great thing.

May 24, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #8,874 of 8,955
O
Hello,
do you know which device this is where he tried it and got good results?
A streamer with DDC would be a great thing.
Sorry mate, I am unfamiliar with his products, they seem to be semi-DIY modular design with multiple options for components to be combined together. Suggest read the two linked articles then compare what he refers to his website product listings. You could also ask a qn to him via email or forum for the exact best combo used with the R26.

Alternative, if a bit more expensive, is a Holo Red as a highly regarded streamer / DDC.

May 24, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #8,875 of 8,955
O

Sorry mate, I am unfamiliar with his products, they seem to be semi-DIY modular design with multiple options for components to be combined together. Suggest read the two linked articles then compare what he refers to his website product listings. You could also ask a qn to him via email or forum for the exact best combo used with the R26.

Alternative, if a bit more expensive, is a Holo Red as a highly regarded streamer / DDC.

Thank you, :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: .
I will try contact Ian for more question of his product.
The open case ist not really a good thing i find.The Red looks fine too,but not sure how good it works with the R26.

May 24, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #8,876 of 8,955
Thank you, :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: .
I will try contact Ian for more question of his product.
The open case ist not really a good thing i find.The Red looks fine too,but not sure how good it works with the R26.
I’ll let you know in the next couple of days how the Red sounds with the R26, to my ears at least. Loaded the HQP NAA into it last night and I’ll try i2s and USB.

May 24, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #8,880 of 8,955
Had an R26. Burned in for 400+ hours.

WaveTheory's lukewarm review got in my head.

Sold it.

Listened to a bunch of delta-sigma DACs. Modi 3+, Wiim Pro+, Bifrost OG feeding my Asgard 2 class A goodness. Also listened to an RME ADI-2-DAC FS feeding a Feliks Audio Envy Performance hooked up to a Susvara and the Raal 1995 Immanis.

Re-acquired the R26 this morning.

And the difference is stunning.

This is simply an excellent DAC.

The one thing I've really appreciated is the pacing of music. Effortless metronomic precision. Nothing is rushed. Can't believe I'm saying this about a DAC. This was NOT the case with the delta-sigma stuff.

Currently using the LAN connection on the R26. Gustarender-1v43. Firmware R115_130_236. My current chain:

Synology D1522+/MinimServer-->CAT6E-->Tp-Link AXE95 router-->Cat6E-->R26-->Mogami XLR-->Mjolnir 3. I use mconnectHD on my iPad to control everything. Works flawlessly.

Has anyone used the R26 with the Sonore opticalRendu Deluxe? Is it worth it? Saw some posts from late 2022 and early 2023, but a more up-to-date opinion is appreciated. Supply madness and Memorial Day madness sale at Small Green Computer. Thinking about picking up a unit...

Thanks! Great to be part of the R26 fam again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back