GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 19, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #8,852 of 8,910
Hi everyone. I have an N18 Pro switch in the mail which I'm looking forward to test driving in a few days with and without an ext clock. Right now I'm exclusively using the R26's LAN input with Roon/HQPlayer, running: Router > Netgear switch with LPS > FMC with LPS > R26.

I'm curious if any of you users of fancy switches have strong opinions about the pros/cons of the following configurations:

1: Router > FMC > N18 SFP input > R26
2: Router > N18 ethernet output > FMC > R26
3: FMC moved over to my Roon/ HQP computer which is connected directly to router, and only ethernet cables on the N18/R26 side.

I should also mention I'll need to connect an LG TV and Sonos soundbar to the switch. C18 clock will be connected to both the N18 and R26 once my second clock cable arrives.

Thank you for your insight!

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #8,853 of 8,910
Hi everyone. I have an N18 Pro switch in the mail which I'm looking forward to test driving in a few days with and without an ext clock. Right now I'm exclusively using the R26's LAN input with Roon/HQPlayer, running: Router > Netgear switch with LPS > FMC with LPS > R26.

I'm curious if any of you users of fancy switches have strong opinions about the pros/cons of the following configurations:

1: Router > FMC > N18 SFP input > R26
2: Router > N18 ethernet output > FMC > R26
3: FMC moved over to my Roon/ HQP computer which is connected directly to router, and only ethernet cables on the N18/R26 side.

I should also mention I'll need to connect an LG TV and Sonos soundbar to the switch. C18 clock will be connected to both the N18 and R26 once my second clock cable arrives.

Thank you for your insight!
I’m a little confused about #2, but it might be the same as my setup: router/mac mini>N18 switch>fiber out, 10m>fiber in, Teradak FMC>short LAN cable into R26. I like having the computer and router both plugged into the switch at the dirty end and using a LPS on the mini (Teradak) and ifi LAN defenders on both cables going into the N18.

May 19, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #8,854 of 8,910
I’m a little confused about #2, but it might be the same as my setup: router/mac mini>N18 switch>fiber out, 10m>fiber in, Teradak FMC>short LAN cable into R26. I like having the computer and router both plugged into the switch at the dirty end and using a LPS on the mini (Teradak) and ifi LAN defenders on both cables going into the N18.
Thanks, @BShaw , I think you're describing yet another possible layout which I'll try too.

For clarity's sake, the second option is if I just direct swap out the netgear for the N18 in my current config, so:

Router > Ethernet > N18 > Ethernet > FMC 1 > Optical > FMC 2 > Ethernet > R26

Do you find that after the optical isolation and the N18, the ifi units are adding yet more improvement?

Due to logistics and physical layout, I can't run my computer from the same switch, so it needs to remain connected directly to the router.

May 19, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #8,855 of 8,910
Thanks, @BShaw , I think you're describing yet another possible layout which I'll try too.

For clarity's sake, the second option is if I just direct swap out the netgear for the N18 in my current config, so:

Do you find that after the optical isolation and the N18, the ifi units are adding yet more improvement?

Due to logistics and physical layout, I can't run my computer from the same switch, so it needs to remain connected directly to the router.
Why are you running from the N18 to your first FMC? The N18 IS an FMC!
Honestly I can’t discern whether the ifi filters are adding any benefit, it’s like wearing clean undies in case I end up in the emergency room, just in case. I like knowing the noise laden signal from the router gets trimmed even before being converted!

May 19, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #8,856 of 8,910
Random point I noticed today. I much prefer the HD600 over the HD660S2. At least with this dac with pcm Mid filter playing cds with Nos off. It's amazing how natural this sounds. It perfectly mixes with the medium filter on this dac. Timbre is so natural. Great mix if people haven't tried it yet. I tried to update my headphones, but the tried and true classics are hard to beat in this price range.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #8,857 of 8,910

I would probably want to use the N18 pro for the clean side if I had one.
Also because the last filtering here is better than the Fmc box,of course if you have the possibility to connect it here without needing unnecessary Lan cable for the other things.
But in the end I guess you would have to try it yourself and tell us what was better for you.

May 20, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #8,859 of 8,910
You don’t ‘need’ it, but you can most definitely audibly benefit from adding the 100% galvanic isolation of fibre AFTER your modem and router which are typically up there with PCs as the most electrically noisy devices in one’s audio chain.
Based on feedback here + the (apparent) well priced upgrade, I'm considering the FMC route. However, as a total rookie in FMC-land hope some of you can help.

Hardware
1. What is the difference between the version with this (more) square opening (picture top left € 18.89) and the wider version (picture top right € 32.94) - and is it correct that I need the first?
3. I then also need to 2 'adapters' (bottom left) that connects the fiber cable between the 2 FMC's, is that correct - and what type of 'adapters' do I need?
4. What type of fiber cable do I exactly need?

Chain
In that case I'd end up with:
FIBER MODEM > WIFI ROUTER > LAN CABLE > FMC > FIBER CABLE > FMC > LAN CABLE > R26
- Is this correct?

Quality
- How much of a level up would this be? I heard 'audible', any other experiences worth sharing?
- If I don't upgrade the PS on the 2nd FMC, would that be very stupid or would it be a nice upgrade path?
- How much would a LPS add to this mix?

Shopping list
If possible, can someone share the exact SKU details/types of the well priced TP-link/10Gtek devices that I need, including these (for me unknown) adapters and (ditto) cable types.

Thanks a bunch all!

Attachments

• fiber media converter.jpg
    fiber media converter.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 0
May 20, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #8,860 of 8,910
Hardware
1. What is the difference between the version with this (more) square opening (picture top left € 18.89) and the wider version (picture top right € 32.94) - and is it correct that I need the first?

The first one you need an SFP/SFP+ module (pic upper right 18.89Eur). The other, you don't need one, just plugin the cable (Pro:simple no other cost, Con: can't customize/upgrade later with better sounding modules like Finisar or an AOC cable from Cisco.

3. I then also need to 2 'adapters' (bottom left) that connects the fiber cable between the 2 FMC's, is that correct - and what type of 'adapters' do I need?
If you choose the upper right FMC, then yes. Any SFP/SFP+ module can do. Problem is what type/protocol..your fiber cable will depend on it for connection.
4. What type of fiber cable do I exactly need?
Answered above
Chain
In that case I'd end up with:
FIBER MODEM > WIFI ROUTER > LAN CABLE > FMC > FIBER CABLE > FMC > LAN CABLE > R26
Yes, and shortest LAN cable possible to your R26.
Quality
- How much of a level up would this be? I heard 'audible', any other experiences worth sharing?
Depends, in my system, I say aboout 10-15% level up
- If I don't upgrade the PS on the 2nd FMC, would that be very stupid or would it be a nice upgrade path?
Will cost you only around 15Eur (for a Jameco Reliapro). Unless you go for exotic types.
- How much would a LPS add to this mix?
In my system, It smoothed out the edges, black background, more texture.
Shopping list
If possible, can someone share the exact SKU details/types of the well priced TP-link/10Gtek devices that I need, including these (for me unknown) adapters and (ditto) cable types.

Pair 10Gtek FMC + SFP module combo
0,5m Single Mode SFP Fiber cable, Duplex LC-LC 9 (lenght is dependent on how far is your LAN cable too your DAC)
JAMECO RELIAPRO 5V/1A
Around 95Eur total

Thanks a bunch all!

Others, please confirm module and cable are ok (think so, I have different modules)...tnx in advance.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #8,861 of 8,910
The first one you need an SFP/SFP+ module (pic upper right 18.89Eur). The other, you don't need one, just plugin the cable (Pro:simple no other cost, Con: can't customize/upgrade later with better sounding modules like Finisar or an AOC cable from Cisco.

If you choose the upper right FMC, then yes. Any SFP/SFP+ module can do. Problem is what type/protocol..your fiber cable will depend on it for connection.

Answered above

Will cost you only around 15Eur (for a Jameco Reliapro). Unless you go for exotic types.

0,5m Single Mode SFP Fiber cable, Duplex LC-LC 9 (lenght is dependent on how far is your LAN cable too your DAC)
JAMECO RELIAPRO 5V/1A
Around 95Eur total

Others, please confirm module and cable are ok (think so, I have different modules)...tnx in advance.
Have you experienced or know of compatibility issues using SFP+ modules or 10G AOC units with these inexpensive gigabit converters? I've read a lot of conflicting info on this topic, but it seems like there shouldn't be any issues as long as ports on both sides of the cable are gigabit...I think.

May 21, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #8,862 of 8,910

Answered above

JAMECO RELIAPRO 5V/1A
Around 95Eur total

Fantastically helpful reply. That’s what this forum is all about IMO. Thanks a bunch!

May 21, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #8,863 of 8,910
Have you experienced or know of compatibility issues using SFP+ modules or 10G AOC units with these inexpensive gigabit converters? I've read a lot of conflicting info on this topic, but it seems like there shouldn't be any issues as long as ports on both sides of the cable are gigabit...I think.
I’m using Finisair AOC and there’s no problem.

May 23, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #8,864 of 8,910
Hello,

I have an unusual thing with my R26. When I turn it on, periodical I can hear it click like something is switching. It’s the same sort of click when you switch inputs. I am not playing any music through it, it just clicks. I timed the clicks, they’re not at regular intervals. They seem to happen about every 2-5 minutes. Also I think the clicking becomes less frequent the longer it’s been on (but I’m less sure about this).

I use the built in streamer as my main input, not sure if that relevant.

It also clicks when the sample rate changed, I’d say I expect that, but even that is a bit weird for a digital device.

The r26 seems totally fine and sounds great. I use firmware 1.42.

Any idea what’s going on? Does anyone else get this?

Thanks
Rich

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #8,865 of 8,910
Hello,

I have an unusual thing with my R26. When I turn it on, periodical I can hear it click like something is switching. It’s the same sort of click when you switch inputs. I am not playing any music through it, it just clicks. I timed the clicks, they’re not at regular intervals. They seem to happen about every 2-5 minutes. Also I think the clicking becomes less frequent the longer it’s been on (but I’m less sure about this).

I use the built in streamer as my main input, not sure if that relevant.

It also clicks when the sample rate changed, I’d say I expect that, but even that is a bit weird for a digital device.

The r26 seems totally fine and sounds great. I use firmware 1.42.

Any idea what’s going on? Does anyone else get this?

Thanks
Rich
See page 1,someone have fix this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back