GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 11, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #7,908 of 8,949
BTW, I tested the Topping hs02 USB isolator with the R26, just out of curiosity, as I was able to get it very cheap.
Hail oh mighty.. that's the greatest difference I've ever experienced soundwise (without changing an entire main component)

You don't mention if the difference was for the better or the worse ?

I had an Olimex USB isolator on an Audiolab MDAC, and it actually sounded the worst compared to a dedicated CD transport with quality digital cable. When we removed the isolator between the DAC and the laptop, the setup closed in on the dedicated CD transport, but still not as good.

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,909 of 8,949
You don't mention if the difference was for the better or the worse ?

I had an Olimex USB isolator on an Audiolab MDAC, and it actually sounded the worst compared to a dedicated CD transport with quality digital cable. When we removed the isolator between the DAC and the laptop, the setup closed in on the dedicated CD transport, but still not as good.
This was for the far far better, in every possible way.. It was like a thick curtain was removed.. The transparency in particular, was like night and day

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #7,910 of 8,949
Electric power systems also varies from country to country. In Norway ( where I come from), regular household power outlets will have 2 "live" (in addition to ground), but here in Sweden (where I currently live), there is only one "live" and a "neutral" line, in addition to the ground. This can cause a great difference in some apparatuses, when you turn the power connector 180 degrees 😁
I don't know how this is in your respective countries?
This perfectly explains why I don't find any difference when turning the power cord (from my power/integrated amps) here in Norway, but did in Denmark (my home country).

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #7,911 of 8,949
Some isolators/reclockers interfere with USB protocol and break asynchronous transfers. Topping probably do not, but it is not a complete isolator, i.e. ground wire is not isolated.

Ifi Defender is transparent to the USB protocol, a simple ground loop redirector, not expensive, should be tried before anything else. Does the same as the ordinary USB 2.0 hub, but better. Try USB hub first with a DAC only device connected. Then add PSU to a hub, see a difference.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #7,912 of 8,949
BTW, I tested the Topping hs02 USB isolator with the R26, just out of curiosity, as I was able to get it very cheap.
Hail oh mighty.. that's the greatest difference I've ever experienced soundwise (without changing an entire main component)
I've been using one for months. Can't say I noticed much difference, perhaps my PC was already pretty low noise. I left it on anyway, can't hurt.

Edit: Mine is actually the HS01 but it does the same thing.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #7,913 of 8,949
You mean gapless, as in playing f.ex. the "Abbey road" album medley, without hearing a glitch between the the tracks?
Yes, I don't notice that when listening to regular albums, but today I was listening to Philharmonia Fantastique by Mason Bates, it is basically a concerto for orchestra constisting of many movements played attaca (immediately one after another) and there were always breaks between them, quite annoying.
I thought that the ability of playing gapless was defined by your playback/streaming software (like Roon etc.) and not by the DAC.
Both of these apps I mentioned have gapless setting. It is also written there that a renderer must support that. I turned it on but it didn't change anything.

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #7,919 of 8,949
I think he means, any new updates or upcoming features.

Speaking of upcoming features, is there a place for suggesting features ?

I for one would love to be able to control the R26 via an App instead of the remote control, as it's almost 6 meters from my listening position.
I definitely prefer Filter = Slow (widest sound stage), but on some DSD material that results in lots of noise, which is solved by changing filter settings.

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #7,920 of 8,949
Roon has a remote app via your smartphone/tablet.
Using UPnP protocol you control via BubbleUPnP (Android), mConnect (IOS) or when using PC via JRiver, JRemote for smartphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back