GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #7,936 of 8,863
You guys who opened up the R26, to improve upon shielding etc, may I ask what you consider was the most "beneficial" upgrade you did?

I'm building new monoblocks now, and thought about opening the R26 also, if it's worth it..?
I'm a bit reluctant against removing the Bluetooth antenna, but if you ensure that it has a major effect, I might change my mind..? 😅
if in UK remove the iec socket and voltage selector (join middle 2 primary wires on each tx), no need for a fuse, just use a 3A in the plug, the transformers are too close together and interfere with each other so separate them.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #7,939 of 8,863
You guys who opened up the R26, to improve upon shielding etc, may I ask what you consider was the most "beneficial" upgrade you did?

I'm building new monoblocks now, and thought about opening the R26 also, if it's worth it..?
I'm a bit reluctant against removing the Bluetooth antenna, but if you ensure that it has a major effect, I might change my mind..? 😅
I don't think you'll see much in any of the interior messings-about frankly. I've disconnected the BT antenna and added shielding to the trannie wires so haven't done some of the extensive tweaks some here have done, and while I don't doubt sensible little tweaks have some difference, it's mostly vanishingly small. But I'll tell you what has definitely blown every tweak I've done out of the water: I added a Puritan Audio PSM156 and groundmaster, and drove two ground rods into the soil in my basement directly below to connect to the groundmaster. This is real stuff, lowering the noise floor significantly and cleaning up the music in a way I didn't think possible. My speakers have finally disappeared, soundstage is huge and open, details are effortlessly revealed. I was skeptical about the hype around Puritan's power filters, but wow this is like the last 10 tweaks I've done all at once, maybe more. No BS, this isn't subtle.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #7,940 of 8,863
I don't think you'll see much in any of the interior messings-about frankly. I've disconnected the BT antenna and added shielding to the trannie wires so haven't done some of the extensive tweaks some here have done, and while I don't doubt sensible little tweaks have some difference, it's mostly vanishingly small. But I'll tell you what has definitely blown every tweak I've done out of the water: I added a Puritan Audio PSM156 and groundmaster, and drove two ground rods into the soil in my basement directly below to connect to the groundmaster. This is real stuff, lowering the noise floor significantly and cleaning up the music in a way I didn't think possible. My speakers have finally disappeared, soundstage is huge and open, details are effortlessly revealed. I was skeptical about the hype around Puritan's power filters, but wow this is like the last 10 tweaks I've done all at once, maybe more. No BS, this isn't subtle.
As a fellow R26 + PSM156 + ground master + dedicated ground rod user, I endorse this message. 😊

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #7,941 of 8,863
Long live all ye Puritan lovers! :grin: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #7,942 of 8,863
Appreciate you're enjoying your system with its cleaner power and lower noise ground, but I'd be interested in your thoughts - if and/when you feel inclined to experiment - in the delta between PSM156 + GM and PSM156 alone (i.e. disconnect the ground cable between the PSM156 and GM).

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #7,943 of 8,863
Appreciate you're enjoying your system with its cleaner power and lower noise ground, but I'd be interested in your thoughts - if and/when you feel inclined to experiment - in the delta between PSM156 + GM and PSM156 alone (i.e. disconnect the ground cable between the PSM156 and GM).
I'll see if I can give that a shot tomorrow Jake, I've wondered that myself.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #7,944 of 8,863
Man, you guys are about to get me to drop $2k on power conditioning :sweat_smile:

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #7,945 of 8,863
But money well spent.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #7,946 of 8,863
Man, you guys are about to get me to drop $2k on power conditioning :sweat_smile:
Much less if regenerative power supply is built in a DAC. For example a difference in the Audio GD range:
- $440 between R-8 and R-8HE
- $300 between R-27 and R-27RE
For a DDC:
- ~$500 between DI-20 and DI-20HE

In fact, DI-20HE has outclassed DI-20, a basic model is no longer on offer.

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #7,947 of 8,863
If you want only to a particular device. Yes, its less.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #7,949 of 8,863
If you want only to a particular device. Yes, its less.
Yeah, unfortunately I need to plug A LOT of things into it.
Even the 6 plug models aren't really enough for me to get all my gear on it.
1 plug for the R26, 1 for the OCK-1, 1 for the Freya+, 1 for the Bliss, 3 for the monoblocks, 1 for my STAX adapter, and 1 for my R800i amp when I want to use that instead of the monoblocks.

And that's not even plugging in my LPS, PC, TV or AV receiver into it...

This is getting a bit off-topic, sorry, but would I be ok connecting those 1 to 3 plug adapters to a Puritan PSM156 or does it absolutely need to be 1 outlet, 1 device?

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #7,950 of 8,863
Yeah, unfortunately I need to plug A LOT of things into it.
Even the 6 plug models aren't really enough for me to get all my gear on it.
1 plug for the R26, 1 for the OCK-1, 1 for the Freya+, 1 for the Bliss, 3 for the monoblocks, 1 for my STAX adapter, and 1 for my R800i amp when I want to use that instead of the monoblocks.

And that's not even plugging in my LPS, PC, TV or AV receiver into it...

This is getting a bit off-topic, sorry, but would I be ok connecting those 1 to 3 plug adapters to a Puritan PSM156 or does it absolutely need to be 1 outlet, 1 device?
I’m in a similar situation although I only need 1 extra plug but if I end up biamping soon I’ll need 2 more. I’m going to make custom duplex adapters with high quality receptacles attached to a very short tail and a high grade male plug. It won’t be beautiful but it shoukd be fine for less used/low draw components

Users who are viewing this thread

Back