GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #7,921 of 8,863
Exactly this! More opportunities to sink my audiophile money in. Not kidding, this is what makes the hobby so fun.

As-is my Ares II measures better though. Of course not a network streamer, I understand, but I don’t need that either. If the Ares had an I2S option I would be quick to order a DDC to go with it.
I upgraded from my Denafrips Ares II 12th (with I2S) to the Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 (a DAC with R2R technology for 3D live/realism) for the mancave/theater. I'm using the Denafrips Iris 12th (a DDC) to further enhance the Pontus II 12th-1.
My setup:
---
After I upgraded my mixed use theater/music room's 2 front L/R speakers to GoldenEar BRX with the awesome AMT ribbon tweeter, these tweeters are soo revealing and realistic (gave me goosebumps) that it got me to upgrade the weaker links in my chain:
- Added a 3rd GoldenEar BRX as my center channel speaker.
- Added a DDC from Denafrips Iris 12th which improved the sound for my already great Denafrips Ares II 12th (a DAC with R2R technology for 3D live/realism)
- Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer with native Apple Music for hi-res lossless and ripping my CDs to it.

source=Apple Music (hires lossless, and spatial audio surround music) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #7,922 of 8,863
I just received my Gustard R26. I'm also leaving the country tomorrow, so it should be fully burned in by the time I actually get to listen to it.

In the mean time, I'm wondering why I'm not getting any audio out of the IIS input. I am using a Pi2AES as the source, Rev 3 which the designer specifically told me is compatible with Gustard IIS.

I get audio out from the other inputs, just not IIS. I've tried two different cables but neither produces audio.

The Gustard DAC is definitely picking something up as I can see the correct sampling rate.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #7,923 of 8,863
I just received my Gustard R26. I'm also leaving the country tomorrow, so it should be fully burned in by the time I actually get to listen to it.

In the mean time, I'm wondering why I'm not getting any audio out of the IIS input. I am using a Pi2AES as the source, Rev 3 which the designer specifically told me is compatible with Gustard IIS.

I get audio out from the other inputs, just not IIS. I've tried two different cables but neither produces audio.

The Gustard DAC is definitely picking something up as I can see the correct sampling rate.
Are you sure you have configured the I2s bus correctly on the PI2AES ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-21-11-46-03-64_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-21-11-46-03-64_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #7,924 of 8,863
I want to use my R26 with PC and I do not want to use usb. I am playing games and videos. PC must see sound adapter as gustard so usb is required for default sound device outpu. is there any way listening from PC with LAN input? (My question is complicated sorry , I hope ,I can tell)

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #7,925 of 8,863
Nov 21, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #7,926 of 8,863

I use R26 with PI2AES by IIS connection without issues.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #7,929 of 8,863
Are you sure you have configured the I2s bus correctly on the PI2AES ?

Mine doesn't have these jumpers, it's an earlier version that's hardwired to the Gustard pinout.

EDIT: Yes, it does. That's the problem. Thanks for pointing this out!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #7,930 of 8,863
Everyone praise LAN connection over usb for R26 :)
People would be wise to try whatever inputs are convenient for them and see what they think rather than believe that what works best for someone else with a different system, possibly in in different country, will automatically be their best option.

In my case toslink/optical i/p is every bit as good as LAN.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #7,933 of 8,863
You guys who opened up the R26, to improve upon shielding etc, may I ask what you consider was the most "beneficial" upgrade you did?

I'm building new monoblocks now, and thought about opening the R26 also, if it's worth it..?
I'm a bit reluctant against removing the Bluetooth antenna, but if you ensure that it has a major effect, I might change my mind..? 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back