GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #7,891 of 8,952
Everything you need is listed in the post that is linked on the first page.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ng-music-bridge.963630/page-154#post-17279910

Cool. Should be able to buy just one of these and use it on the DAC side. The other FMC on the computer side should be fine as a cheap unit since any noise from it is isolated away from the LHY FMC by the fiber.
Also the Teradak FMC myself, @BShaw and @Jake2 use
http://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-T-S212-SFP-media-converter

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #7,892 of 8,952
Nov 9, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #7,893 of 8,952
Hello @camrector

In your view & experience, what is the benefit of using the TeraDak FMC vs. a cheaper FMC (e.g. a 10GTek) fed by a really good power supply? Do you consider that the OCXO in the TeraDak conveys some real sonic benefits - considering that the data the TeraDak delivers will be re-clocked by a DAC / Streamer anyway?

I'm tempted to give the TeraDak a try as it is not insanely expensive, but logically I can't see what benefit it would provide over what I already have (10GTek FMC fed with an ifi Power Elite 5v PSU).

The LHY FMC unit - https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lhy-fmc - appears to do pretty much the same as the TeraDak FMC but is more than twice as expensive. My guess is you are paying handsomely for the, admittedly handsome, milled-from-solid-aluminium-billet case

Wishing you all a good day

Nov 9, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #7,894 of 8,952
Also can anyone explain what the point of reclocking Ethernet is? The LHY FMC has a 10MHz OCXO for reclocking. Shouldn't matter when the LAN packets get there, unlike over USB where timing is critical to how the signal is reconstructed. Can even completely drop packets and it should be fine, it just resends.

Now that's the million dollar question isn't it.

Heaps of debate (just check any switch review on YT) and a bunch of theories re proposed mechanisms of action, some more detailed and plausible than others. In particular the paper by John Swenson (designer of the Uptone Audio EtherRegen switch and Sonore products) as described in more layman terms by Hans Beekhuyzen on YT in his switches vid. Reduced phase noise, threshold jitter and noise on the ground plane of sending and receiving ethernet devices are common elements. Though the offered theories don't quite step through in sufficient detail to my satisfaction as to how lower phase noise in a sending device helps the recipient device perform better, and so on in a chain. That may well just be a limitation of my comprehension of course.

Have a read and/or watch yourself and see what you think. https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...f-the-uptone-jswenson-etherregen-white-paper/

What I do know from my first hand experience, from a fair bit of trial and error experimentation directly damping the OCXO on my LHY network switch using different materials in different combinations and quantities is that a better damped, and a result presumably lower jitter/phase noise, OCXO is very audible in the downstream streamer & DAC's performance. Less glare in the upper midrange, more weighty, punchy and textured bass, an expanded more 3D and precise soundstage, more natural and fleshed out vocals, greater but still natural transient attack. The difference is remarkable and is progressive as the level and quality of damping of the OCXO changes, the sole variable being changed.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #7,895 of 8,952

Attachments

• camphoto_2110444415.JPG
    camphoto_2110444415.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #7,896 of 8,952
Hello @camrector

In your view & experience, what is the benefit of using the TeraDak FMC vs. a cheaper FMC (e.g. a 10GTek) fed by a really good power supply? Do you consider that the OCXO in the TeraDak conveys some real sonic benefits - considering that the data the TeraDak delivers will be re-clocked by a DAC / Streamer anyway?

I'm tempted to give the TeraDak a try as it is not insanely expensive, but logically I can't see what benefit it would provide over what I already have (10GTek FMC fed with an ifi Power Elite 5v PSU).

The LHY FMC unit - https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lhy-fmc - appears to do pretty much the same as the TeraDak FMC but is more than twice as expensive. My guess is you are paying handsomely for the, admittedly handsome, milled-from-solid-aluminium-billet case

Wishing you all a good day
For me I am 100% network audio. So the FMCs is an integral part of my system.
Just having one made with higher end components made sense to me.

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #7,900 of 8,952
I think Pangea Audio have excellent cost/performance ratio.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #7,901 of 8,952
Electric power systems also varies from country to country. In Norway ( where I come from), regular household power outlets will have 2 "live" (in addition to ground), but here in Sweden (where I currently live), there is only one "live" and a "neutral" line, in addition to the ground. This can cause a great difference in some apparatuses, when you turn the power connector 180 degrees 😁
I don't know how this is in your respective countries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back