Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Dec 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #543 of 605
I received my X12 from latest drop. I get absolutely zero sound from both balanced and unbalanced outputs. Not to mention the display characters are almost unreadable.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #545 of 605
have you checked the voltage? There is an internal 110/220 V switch between the transformers. If this is set to 220v and you are running  110v then you would get the symptoms you are experiencing.

Ha! That's probably it. It shipped with EU* plug. The unit itself was labeled 115v. I'll take it apart after dinner and have a look.

Didn't wait. That was it. Thank you!

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #547 of 605
The funny thing is they blacked out the 220v on the chassis and left the 115v visible. I just assumed they shipped the wrong plug. It took less than 2 mins to remove the cover and switch the power supplies. I blame myself!

This thing paired with the H10 and 400i is absolutely amazing!

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #551 of 605
Here's how to load the Thesycon XMOS driver on Windows 10 and Foobar 1.3.9 ..

I installed the driver from http://www.xmos.com/support/usb-audio-driver-support on Windows 10 64bit.
I did not have process a signature free process.

I am using the Gustard X20u.
I installed SACD decoder 0.9.6 and ASIO support 2.1.2 on Foobar 1.3.9.

When you install the above driver it creates a C:\Thesycon directory
Go to C:\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_v3.20.0\EvaluationKit\DriverPackages
And execute VAL_KITS_DEMO_DriverSetup_v3.20.0_dbg.exe to load the Thesycon XMOS  ASIO driver
Select TUSBAudio ASIO Driver under foo_dsd_asio

The default Theyscon sample rate is 352800hz 24bits with options to change the USB streaming latency, ASIO buffer size and volume.

I can successfully upsample all outputs in Foobar to DSD128 for processing by the X20u.
Presumably the same will be true for the U12 and X12.

Note this is a demo Thesycon driver and beeps every 5 minutes after 60 minutes.
I have since gone back to v2.23 XMOS ASIO driver downloaded from http://jlsounds.com/drivers.html
The v2.26 download now gives me a security error.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #552 of 605
Question: Are you able to keep the backlight on X12 on at all times? And does the USB input require any power from the host?

Edit:I removed only power from usb cable and unit did not turn on. So it does require 5v from usb.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #554 of 605
  Sorry for the stupid question: if I use XRL to RCA adapters in X10/12 DAC have I still the greater output voltage XLR provides vs. RCA output? Or have I to use XLR cables? 

The X12 and X20 (and, AFAIK) the X20 have both balanced outputs (with XLR connections) and unbalanced outputs (with RCA connections).
If your preamp/amp has only RCA inputs, ground and cold are usually connected together, but this means that the cold signal (which is the negative of the hot signal) is just discarded, so you do not get increased voltage. You do not even get the advantages of having the shield connected to the earth ground and chassis, in fact you risk injecting airborne noise into the signal.

The best connection if your pre only supports RCA is to use good RCA to RCA cables. These should actually have the shield connected to the signal ground (if everything is done properly).

Roberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back