Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Sep 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #511 of 605
Niiice! I guess that confirms my suspicion that the Gustard X12 is superior to the D200~ Gonna save up for that X20 and use the D200 as my bedside unit lol.

Also to note: there is a significant (read: Day&Night) difference when sourcing from my macbook pro vs from an iphone or ipad via the CCK. I discovered this when i was debating on whether or not to sell the wyrd. When connected to my iDevices, the wyrd + U12 >> D200 didnt make much audible difference as far as i could tell, so i was about to put it up for sale, but then when i switched back to my macbook the sound quality dropped significantly (soundstage got much smaller, loss of details, muddying imaging, weaker bass). Plugging the wyrd back in fixed some of it but is still not up to par with connecting to the iDevice.

I'm thinking that in the future i may pick up a REGEN unit, but then again i could probably just listen to all of my stuff from iphone anyway (90% of the stuff i listen to is from Tidal or spotify or itunes), so maybe i won't really need it~ 

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #512 of 605
  Of course, I could not use the Yulong U12 interface with the D200

Test setups:

1) Player -> Audioquest Cinnamon 0.75m -> Wyrd -> Audioquest Cinnamon 0.75m -> Yulong D200 -> Balanced Cables -> Gustard H10 -> HD650
2) Player -> Audioquest Cinnamon 0.75m -> Wyrd -> Audioquest Cinnamon 0.75m -> Gustard X12 -> Balanced Cables -> Gustard H10 -> HD650
2) Player -> Audioquest Cinnamon 0.75m -> Wyrd -> Audioquest Cinnamon 0.75m -> Gustard U12 -> Ricable HDMI Cable -> Gustard X12 -> Balanced Cables -> Gustard H10 -> HD650

(some edits)

Q: which "filtering" setting was the X12 on? (slow or sharp)

I found the "sharp" setting to be somewhat of a loudness button that exaggerated things.  "slow" was more believable to my ear and it still had more punch than my Yulong D18.  Yet the D18 had the most un-forced sound that I could listen to for the longest.  My ear has likely already acclimated to years of listening to the D18's soft top end so I can't say my impression is entirely objective.  I am looking forward to documenting my account of these...

IFI U12 I2S X20
IFI U12 I2S X12
IFI PUC2 AES D18

@Gustard - if you're reading this, please ...

1) be the first to add a system-task-tray dialog window to your XMOS driver [for DACs and USB transport] that allows us to switch inputs from the PC.  Should be cheaper than an IR remote.  Only doing it for MS windows should suit my needs just fine, thank you :)
2) replace optical with a 2nd I2S (everywhere!)

Do this for us and splitting hairs will never be easier!

(edited out my own erroneous double negative)

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #513 of 605

1) be the first to add a system-task-tray dialog window to your XMOS driver [for DACs and USB transport] that allows us to switch inputs from the PC.  Should be cheaper than an IR remote.  Only doing it for MS windows should suit my needs just fine, thank you :)

@Gustard
Wot he said, plus: Do you fancy having a dabble with making a multibit R2R dac? 
popcorn.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #514 of 605
(some edits)

Q: which "filtering" setting was the X12 on? (slow or sharp)

I found the "sharp" setting to be somewhat of a loudness button that exaggerated things.  "slow" was more believable to my ear and it still had more punch than my Yulong D18.  Yet the D18 had the most un-forced sound that I could listen to for the longest.  My ear has likely already acclimated to years of listening to the D18's soft top end so I can't say my impression would not be as objective as it would for someone who hasn't lived with either unit.  I am looking forward to documenting my account of these...

IFI U12 I2S X20
IFI U12 I2S X12

IFI PUC2 AES D18

Hello, I use "Slow".

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #515 of 605
The problem with replacing optical with I2s is that some people connect their sound cards to their external dac's thru optical to send the sound card features to the dac. Without optical they would have to use a optical to coaxial box between the two and do it that way if they wanted to use it or use a differnet model of gustard. Unless creative and asus replaces optical on their cards with Coaxial or stick I2S or AES/Ebu on their cards but the chances of them doing that is nill.  They could stick another I2S and AES/Bbu on their devices without removing any existing connections.

I tried slow but I didn't listen to it for a long time, but one day i might to see how it sound to me.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #516 of 605
I do keep hearing about macbook owners that want to use their optical outs.  I crossed computer optical off my list without ever evaluating it once.  I've been objective in just about every area, accept looking for an alternative to a computer's USB output.

I noticed Tanly dropped optical-out.  Our heads are in the same place.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NTpS4gEen3E/VIcTc25ViwI/AAAAAAAAAOk/PlHWoMF948o/s1600/sdif_3.jpg

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #517 of 605
  I do keep hearing about macbook owners that want to use their optical outs.  I crossed computer optical off my list without ever evaluating it once.  I've been objective in just about every area, accept looking for an alternative to a computer's USB output.

I noticed Tanly dropped optical-out.  Our heads are in the same place.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NTpS4gEen3E/VIcTc25ViwI/AAAAAAAAAOk/PlHWoMF948o/s1600/sdif_3.jpg

Did you mean optical output, or input?
It would be nice, for Mac owners (and others who are concerned about RFI), if it had an optical input.
But from what you're saying, if it ever did, it doesn't anymore! 
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #518 of 605

Did you mean optical output, or input?

USB transport aka USB interface aka DDC only has a USB input.
This device is significantly better at converting async-digital (USB) to sync-digital (optical/spdif/aes/i2s) compared to your typical motherboard.
But this device will be of no use to someone who's got their heart on using their own PC/laptop's optical out.

The internet tells me optical is the worst of the bunch.  Now if the internet could eliminate 2 more then life should be better for all of us.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #519 of 605
This device is significantly better at converting async-digital (USB) to sync-digital (optical/spdif/aes/i2s) compared to your typical motherboard.
But this device will be of no use to someone who's got their heart on using their own PC/laptop's optical out.

The internet tells me optical is the worst of the bunch.  Now if the internet could eliminate 2 more then life should be better for all of us.

I prefer to avoid pc/usb audio altogether; I use an SD card player. But there's still the question of connection; there are several options, and the best (I²S) is both rare and has little standardisation!

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #520 of 605
@BassDigger I noticed you have a Cambridge DAC 3
I googled it and I saw a review from the late 90s, which I suppose is like a Porche from the early 70s.  I assume it's stellar among ladder dacs.  When my x20 is broken in I'm going to plead my friend to bring over his lampi5 (I *think* that's a ladder dac).  I'm done reading about r2r - my ears are eager to compare them.

I had a Cambridge Azur 540 receiver and I thought the spdif input sounded terrific.  It had that integrated immediacy that I'm hoping i2s will bring to my separates.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #521 of 605
Oooh! Car similes! I wouldn't call the Cambridge DAC 3 a Porsche; they're built well. Although, there are different models that look the same (even with the same name), but perform quite differently. Although, none of them are duffers.
Actually, it may have been the Lampizator's website that helped start my R2R journey. My dac3 is basically the separate dac version of the Cambridge CD3 cd player that he attempted to mod, many moons ago. 
The guy who modified my dac 3 isn't the biggest fan of his work, but appreciates what he's done to help draw attention to the goodness of old skool multibit stuff.

I thought that the Lampi5 had the same R-2R chip as my dac3, but it appears that Lukas has moved into the modern age now; the L5 is DSD capable. So, I guess with his love of 'tubing' things, it's some kind of tubed up variant of a modern DS dac. And not R2R. Although, I could be wrong. Whatever, it'll make an interesting comparison against the X20!

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #522 of 605

If someone is looking for a decent optical-in DDC, the Audio-GD DDC's have optical input as a switchable option. I was using a DI-V3 and it a was pretty nice feature (I used with a CD Player with optical out), a better quality optical cable improved the SQ over the standard cable provided free by the store.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #524 of 605
hi all - I was wondering whether any of the Gustard (or other Asian) amps can outperform something like the Amphion Amp100? Also asked here, with more details on system: http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/2535#post_11936009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back