Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Apr 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #106 of 605
holy WTH!!! upsampling 16/44.1 to dsd64 via perfect bit ripped files...man! listening to 4hero 'remixes' volume one...hotter than heck in a hand basket! kicking my ***** up and down the block! u12 to x12via i2s/foobar dsd upsample on the fly...freakin' wild and awesome! gustard FTW!!!

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #107 of 605
if you got 256 files, don't be shy, as this combo seems to do 256 (despite the limit stated online). try it in your player of choice. the x12 shows 256 playback (via driver settings) in your favorite player/x12 readout :)

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #108 of 605
Lol I don't understand the fuss about the name. I find Gustard, which rhymes with custard, (thus affirming my peasant pronunciation) to be quite endearing. I mean if I am cool with Schiit Audio, I'm cool with anything.

The only thing I'm interested in now is when will the X20 show up. May? Late May? June? Or even later? The balanced amp too, but that's far off in Q3-Q4.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #109 of 605
  I mean if I am cool with Schiit Audio, I'm cool with anything.

Schiit's schtiick is a deliberate design decision, not an accident. It generates brand curiousity, and it appeals to particular market segments for different reasons. All other factors the same, I'm sure they'd still be successful if they were called "Schaefer", but I'd be surprised if they'd have done as well as they have under the Schiit banner.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #110 of 605

this word kept coming to my mind when i read "Gustard"...

GESTALT

:  a structure, configuration, or pattern of physical, biological, or psychological phenomena
so integrated as to constitute a functional unit with properties not derivable by summation of its parts

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #111 of 605

this word kept coming to my mind when i read "Gustard"...

GESTALT

:  a structure, configuration, or pattern of physical, biological, or psychological phenomena

so integrated as to constitute a functional unit with properties not derivable by summation of its parts

Nice.

Also Gustatory or Gustation, which recalls the palate--the sense of taste.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #113 of 605
For me Gustard makes me think of an excellent amp with reasonable price and a giant performance. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #114 of 605
Brand name rolling now ?....saving $500 on a similar grade amp towards another set of headphones springs to mind !

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #116 of 605
Yeah, and I have 2 Schiit amps! 
deadhorse.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #117 of 605
  Yeah, and I have 2 Schiit amps! 
deadhorse.gif

"Schiit" is a good brand name, though. Some will find negative associations with the name but this is purely intentional, and within its target demographics those associations flip and become positive, from "schiitty" to "da schiit". It's designed to push the product before you even know anything else about it.

As far as making up new brands go, I like "Gestalt" and "Gusto!" for pure-English markets, from the earlier suggestions.

In the "Schiitty" name style, I think "Effin" would work as a fun brand. Looks innocent and fey in isolation, but the products pretty-much name themselves, even if you just name them extremely generically. The "Effin Portable", "Effin DAC", "Effin Digital Interface", etc. Also allows more flamboyant options like the "Effin Marvelous", the "Effin Amazing", and so on, or you can alliterate for flavour like "Effin Epic", "Effin Extreme", Effin Exceptional", etc. Lots of ways to play with it, and you don't need a whole Norse pantheon sub-theme to help stop people thinking about toilets.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #118 of 605
That's an effin nice post mate! made me LOL.

May 11, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #120 of 605
  For everyone waiting for my report, apologies for not having it up yet - I've been really busy and on the road virtually the whole last two weeks. To make up for the delay, here's the X20 prototype for your viewing pleasure. ES9018 for each channel @Benny-x

I just confirmed with Shenzhenaudio that the Gustard X20 will be released this June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back