Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #181 of 605

Hello hgpsemaj,

Looks very promising! Any info on what kind of XO's used? Are they replaceable?

I don't see any Discrete output stages, are they build around opamps??

Regards,

Alex

(i)   TCXO, and I'm sure you're capable to replace it, but not sure for other users.

(ii)  Discrete output stages.

Regards,

Riemann

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #182 of 605
  Looks amaaaazing. Question @hgpsemaj do you know if the XLR and the RCA outs of the X20 can be used  both at the same time? That would be pretty awesome to connect the H10 by XLR, and then my tube amp by RCA~

Mr. Huang of Gustard claims both outputs (i.e. RCA and XLR.) could be used simultaneously.

Regards,

Riemann

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #183 of 605

Mr. Huang of Gustard claims both outputs (i.e. RCA and XLR.) could be used simultaneously.

Regards,

Riemann

Hello, the same things already happens with the X12.
I have connected the X12 to the H10 with XLR cables and to a speakers amp with single ended cables.
Both work simultaneously.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #184 of 605

(i)   TCXO, and I'm sure you're capable to replace it, but not sure for other users.

(ii)  Discrete output stages.

Regards,

Riemann

Hello Riemann,

Sounds good, but, XO's look like they are SMD versions, which are not as easy replacable as conventional xo's :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #185 of 605
Another question for Gustard fans:

If Gustard were to make a portable DAC/AMP, aiming to deliver the X12+H10 sound and as many features as possible in a portable package, what would you be willing to give up? What would your wishlist be?

For example:
- What connections should get to stay? 
- ES9018 or AK4495?
- Would you pay extra to get a plastic casing over aluminum? (A serious question.)

That sort of thing. Thanks in advance :)

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #186 of 605

If Gustard were to make a portable DAC/AMP, aiming to deliver the X12+H10 sound and as many features as possible in a portable package, what would you be willing to give up? What would your wishlist be?

For example:
- ES9018 or AK4495?
- Would you pay extra to get a plastic casing over aluminum? (A serious question.)

Rather than a combined amp/DAC, I'd love to see Gustard make a small separate amp and DAC that could make a unobtrusive stack (e.g. Schiit Modi/Magni) with a retail price of around $200-$300 USD for the stack. Just need USB input to the DAC (prefer data only); "wall-wart" style power; RCA cables between them; 1/4" headphone out; aluminum casing.

It would be perfect starter setup for budding audio-enthusiasts or for people to bring to work. It seems more likely that you'll get the X12+H10 sound out of that than a portable amp/DAC combo. Just my $0.02.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #187 of 605

Rather than a combined amp/DAC, I'd love to see Gustard make a small separate amp and DAC that could make a unobtrusive stack (e.g. Schiit Modi/Magni) with a retail price of around $200-$300 USD for the stack. Just need USB input to the DAC (prefer data only); "wall-wart" style power; RCA cables between them; 1/4" headphone out; aluminum casing.

It would be perfect starter setup for budding audio-enthusiasts or for people to bring to work. It seems more likely that you'll get the X12+H10 sound out of that than a portable amp/DAC combo. Just my $0.02.

+1. I would prefer a no-frills package similar to the Schiit Modi/Magni or the O2/ODAC. I'm a fan of Sabre dacs so I'd prefer the ES9018 over the AK4495. Well implemented of course. And would much prefer a Class A topology amp.

Yeah, and aluminum would be fine.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #188 of 605

For example:
- ES9018 or AK4495?

Would love to have portable or even transportable dac amp combo in one casing from Gustard as form factor was the only reason I don't invest on the brand. I don't really like sabre sound so I'd like to try AK4495. I'd pay extra for aluminium but I don't know why it would cost that much when even $10-20 cheap Chinese amp/dac already use aluminium. I prefer to have optical in so I can use it with video game console, but it's not a must I guess, especially if it's going to be portable. If it's portable then 1/8" is a must, but if transportable 1/4" with rca out is preferable.

Also, I think if this kind of device will attract new users which were not in the market for big heavy dac & amp like x12 and h10 so it'd be better if he price it competitively.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #189 of 605
  Would love to have portable or even transportable dac amp combo in one casing from Gustard as form factor was the only reason I don't invest on the brand. I don't really like sabre sound so I'd like to try AK4495. I'd pay extra for aluminium but I don't know why it would cost that much when even $10-20 cheap Chinese amp/dac already use aluminium. I prefer to have optical in so I can use it with video game console, but it's not a must I guess, especially if it's going to be portable. If it's portable then 1/8" is a must, but if transportable 1/4" with rca out is preferable.

Also, I think if this kind of device will attract new users which were not in the market for big heavy dac & amp like x10 and h10 so it'd be better if he price it competitively.

You misread, plastic casing is actually more expensive than aluminum. I've only heard Aune S16 that has AK4495 and it's pretty great, and the guys at Gustard tell me that it's easier to implement than ES9018. What makes ES9018 interesting for them is it's popularity - many people assume that everything with ES9018 is good, even though we know better. That said, Gustard's ES9018 DACs are pretty great.

edit: If I recall @stuartmc has had Aune S16 and X12 both. Maybe he can weigh in.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #190 of 605
Oh then, since people usually like metal better than plastic (see, phones) I guess it's even better then. :wink:

From marketing point of view, I guess 9018 would be better even though no one knows how 4495 would sound out of Gustard's magic.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #191 of 605
how about an OPPO HA-2 slimline kind of dac amp...at a more affordable price.
i tested it out recently...it is a beau..and the sound is clear n strong.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #192 of 605

For example:
- ES9018 or AK4495?

4-pin XLR
R2R DAC
Aluminum

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #193 of 605
4-pin XLR
R2R DAC
Aluminum

I think we're talkin compact and portable, here. Which, I believe, would much more likely mean a 1-bit design.
I would certainly be interested in any future top-of-the-range multibit dac, if Gustard were to make one! 
popcorn.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #194 of 605
  how about an OPPO HA-2 slimline kind of dac amp...at a more affordable price.
i tested it out recently...it is a beau..and the sound is clear n strong.

Competitor for Oppo HA-2 would be great. I am not interested in larger "portable" setups.

Or for the sake of growing the brand make entry level competitor for Magni/modi, NFB-15 and o2/odac.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #195 of 605
I think we're talkin compact and portable, here. Which, I believe, would much more likely mean a 1-bit design.
I would certainly be interested in any future top-of-the-range multibit dac, if Gustard were to make one! :popcorn:

True. But I'm prepared to be surprised by Gustard. :grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back