Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Jun 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #212 of 605
  Is there any reason not to use the volume control on X12 DAC? Would have to use that with studio monitors.

The ES9018 has a 32 bit internal volume control, if you are outputting 24 bit to the DAC with a 16 bit/44.1 file, you have 48dB of lossless attenuation. The internal volume has near perfect channel balance. You can't beat the internal ES9018 volume control unless you have a high end attenuator like those found in Audio-GD pre's. The higher the attenuation rate, the more the analog volume pulls ahead of digital.

So no, in your case there is no reason not to use the X12 volume control.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #213 of 605
am using Benchmark DAC2 HGC which has volume pot with ES9018 chips. sound really good with studio monitor plus output to subwoofer and headphone amp. planning to change to H10 soon!

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #219 of 605
  Far as I know, the PCM1704 and AD1865 are the few high-end R-2R dac chips still in production. From what I've heard they are neither cheap nor easy to implement, hence I doubt Gustard would go down this route. Unless they follow the example of Audio-gd in producing both PCM1704 and ES9018 dacs.

Multibit chips are generally easier to get right on the layout than ES9018 which is about the hardest to do well. Operating frequency has a lot to do with this.

You can check out the status of DAC chips at the manufacturer's websites - I just did that for PCM1704 and found its 'NRND' status meaning TI's not encouraging anyone to design it in. AD1865 has been obsoleted by ADI already.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #220 of 605
Looks like a DAC/Amp "mini" combo is the top contender to become a product. It should beat JDS Labs's upcoming The Element and Geek Out V2 and be sold for $200 or less. We'll see. Gustard isn't particularly convinced there will be demand for one, so it's a matter of taking the risk in a market that's not familiar to them.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #221 of 605
  Hello,
Do you think it'll be better than the L.K.S. mh–da003 ?

If Gustard can sell the X20 for under 700 $USD it would be just great . The LKS is more than 2X the cost.

One of the challenges to the X20 is whether is will sound better that the Single Sabre X12 and similar competition like the Yulong D200 and perhaps the DA8.
If Gustard delivers on the promise it will give the likes of LKS, Yulong and Aune a lot to think about.

Adding a second ES9018 brings problems that must be solved before the benefits can be realized, one of the big headaches of the dual Sabre DAC is making sure the power is very clean and this is often easier said than done.

Gustard skimped on the power supply on the X20 so I am waiting to see how it will do once the product ships.

I have the LKS and I found it to be only an incremental improvement over my Yulong DA8 out of the box. The DA8 has 1 Sabre32 DAC
I ended rebuilding parts of the LKS before it showed substantial improvement over the Yulong, I see some of the elements I addressed on the LKS manifesting itself in the X20.

The LKS rebuild is documented in the link below.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/745032/lks-audio-mh-da003#post_11491697

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #222 of 605
b0bb, thanks for your input. Your work on the LKS was very impressive indeed. One of the things that impressed me most about the X12 and H10 was Gustard's attention to the power supply. Let's hope they can do the same with the production X20 without breaking the bank. I personally wouldn't mind spending a little more for a hotrodded version.

On that note, I would also like to suggest to Gustard that they sell a less expensive version that loses the onboard USB conversion. With the I2S input, many, like me, will use an ultra high quality USB-DDC to feed the X20. Let's optimize the X20 for that and perhaps put the savings into beefed up power regulation. This modular approach would also pave the way for a new and improved U20.

Ansi, tell the Gustard boys that the Cap'n is ready and willing to review the X20 here and at Positive-Feedback. I can wait for them to get any kinks out of production.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #223 of 605
b0bb, thanks for your input. Your work on the LKS was very impressive indeed. One of the things that impressed me most about the X12 and H10 was Gustard's attention to the power supply. Let's hope they can do the same with the production X20 without breaking the bank. I personally wouldn't mind spending a little more for a hotrodded version.

On that note, I would also like to suggest to Gustard that they sell a less expensive version that loses the onboard USB conversion. With the I2S input, many, like me, will use an ultra high quality USB-DDC to feed the X20. Let's optimize the X20 for that and perhaps put the savings into beefed up power regulation. This modular approach would also pave the way for a new and improved U20.

Ansi, tell the Gustard boys that the Cap'n is ready and willing to review the X20 here and at Positive-Feedback. I can wait for them to get any kinks out of production.

X20 will have two versions, one without on-board USB conversion and cheaper price. Wish granted!

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #224 of 605

X20 will have two versions, one without on-board USB conversion and cheaper price. Wish granted!

blink.gif

@stuartmc
Could you make a wish for Gustard to produce a current drive amp, something like the Bakoon HPA-21, and maybe an R-2R dac, to 'out Yggy' the Yggy 
tongue_smile.gif
 ....oh, and maybe world peace, or something, while you're at it?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back