Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Jun 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #196 of 605

I think we're talkin compact and portable, here. Which, I believe, would much more likely mean a 1-bit design.
I would certainly be interested in any future top-of-the-range multibit dac, if Gustard were to make one! 
popcorn.gif

I thought ES9018 is 6-bit delta sigma?
confused.gif
 There isn't 1-bit delta sigma dacs nowadays I believe...

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #197 of 605

You misread, plastic casing is actually more expensive than aluminum. I've only heard Aune S16 that has AK4495 and it's pretty great, and the guys at Gustard tell me that it's easier to implement than ES9018. What makes ES9018 interesting for them is it's popularity - many people assume that everything with ES9018 is good, even though we know better. That said, Gustard's ES9018 DACs are pretty great.

edit: If I recall @stuartmc has had Aune S16 and X12 both. Maybe he can weigh in.

Yes, I did have the Aune S16 which featured a very well engineered application of the AK4495. I also had a Rega Apollo-R on hand which has the Wolfson chip and an old school Bel Canto DAC with the Burr Brown 1704 R2R chip.  I reached the conclusion that the DAC chip itself is not the sole determining factor of sound quality. The application and implementation is just as important, if not more so.  I had heard all the stories of Sabre "glare" and that all that detail came at a heavy price.  For this reason, many people recommend the Wolfson, and later the AK chip, as almost a universal answer to the Sabre glare polemic.  I read the ESS white paper and some other articles on the Sabre chip and learned that yes, it can have issues if you don't follow their engineers clear guidelines and recommendations.  Yes, you must get serious about your power supply and how you handle the ground plane, among other things, but if you do, the overall performance of the Sabre can be very hard to beat.  Gustard has, in my opinion, done it right.  I never once heard any systemic "glare" that wasn't a part of the recording itself.  The X12 ended up being every bit as smooth and musical as the Aune and the Rega, but had a little more dynamic energy ("punch," if you will), more extended low bass and low level detail. I was impressed by the fact that the extra detail came without any edge or harshness.  I ended up selling the Aune and use the Rega only as a CD transport.  That was just my personal preference. The Aune S16 was really great in its own right and for those seeking an all-in-one desktop solution, I can strongly recommend it.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #198 of 605
The New X20 DAC looks good gonna probably buy it after it has been out for awhile and some early listening impressions have been posted.

Tho im wondering why did they decide to use toroids when a EI or R-core will have better noise rejection.

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #199 of 605
That's exact my thought about X-20, looks like a good design except the torroids instead of copper-shielded R-Cores. Maybe Gustard is willing to replace them,,,,,,,,,

I opted in for first batch, but not sure if i do when shipped with torroids.

Cheers,

Alex

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #200 of 605
  I thought ES9018 is 6-bit delta sigma?
confused.gif
 There isn't 1-bit delta sigma dacs nowadays I believe...

My apologies; my terminology was incorrect due to a lack of technical knowledge and understanding. Thanks for enlightening me. 
redface.gif

Regarding my point: Are you saying that the ES9018 is comparable in its complexity of implementation to an R-2R dac? So therefore, Gustard are just as likely to use R-2R, as delta-sigma, in their portable dac-amp combi?

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #201 of 605

Rather than a combined amp/DAC, I'd love to see Gustard make a small separate amp and DAC that could make a unobtrusive stack (e.g. Schiit Modi/Magni) with a retail price of around $200-$300 USD for the stack. Just need USB input to the DAC (prefer data only); "wall-wart" style power; RCA cables between them; 1/4" headphone out; aluminum casing.

It would be perfect starter setup for budding audio-enthusiasts or for people to bring to work. It seems more likely that you'll get the X12+H10 sound out of that than a portable amp/DAC combo. Just my $0.02.

Let's say a stack would cost $300, a combo unit $200. Sound is identical. Would you still prefer a stack?

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #204 of 605

I tried the Pangea in .6m too. I was quite surprised to find that even in this application there was an audible difference in cables. I tried a total of four HDMI cables and settled on the Analysis Plus Xfactor HDMI in a 1m length. It gave me the deepest bass and the most natural mid-range body. It can be had for $55 on Amazon.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #205 of 605

My apologies; my terminology was incorrect due to a lack of technical knowledge and understanding. Thanks for enlightening me. 
redface.gif

Regarding my point: Are you saying that the ES9018 is comparable in its complexity of implementation to an R-2R dac? So therefore, Gustard are just as likely to use R-2R, as delta-sigma, in their portable dac-amp combi?

No worries, I'm not an expert either. 
wink.gif

Far as I know, the PCM1704 and AD1865 are the few high-end R-2R dac chips still in production. From what I've heard they are neither cheap nor easy to implement, hence I doubt Gustard would go down this route. Unless they follow the example of Audio-gd in producing both PCM1704 and ES9018 dacs.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #206 of 605
  Another question for Gustard fans:

If Gustard were to make a portable DAC/AMP, aiming to deliver the X12+H10 sound and as many features as possible in a portable package, what would you be willing to give up? What would your wishlist be?

For example:
- What connections should get to stay? 
- ES9018 or AK4495?
- Would you pay extra to get a plastic casing over aluminum? (A serious question.)

That sort of thing. Thanks in advance :)

A portable DAC+amp with X12+H10 sound (and a battery so it can be used with OTG devices) ?  I would be ECSTATIC.  Inputs?  SE 3.5mm & RSA/Kobicon .. outputs?  SE 3.5mm & RSA/Kobicon.  I trust Gustard's expertise with Sabre 9018 implementations.. but I'd love to see a great implementation with a flagship AK chip.  I would pay extra for aluminum.. if it's going to be portable, I'd like something a little more rugged.  Also,  optimization for IEMs would be nice

Thanks for all your inside info, Ansi!

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #207 of 605

A portable DAC+amp with X12+H10 sound (and a battery so it can be used with OTG devices) ?  I would be ECSTATIC.  Inputs?  SE 3.5mm & RSA/Kobicon .. outputs?  SE 3.5mm & RSA/Kobicon.  I trust Gustard's expertise with Sabre 9018 implementations.. but I'd love to see a great implementation with a flagship AK chip.  I would pay extra for aluminum.. if it's going to be portable, I'd like something a little more rugged.  Also,  optimization for IEMs would be nice

Thanks for all your inside info, Ansi!

That sounds very tasty-- especially at Gustard prices!  On the higher end of the scale, there is the ALO Continental Dual Mono, which is tube based, uses a Wolfson chip, gain switchable for IEM's and a cool aluminum case.  I have one in for review now and it's extremely impressive - fit, finish and sound.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #208 of 605
News: An official, international Gustard shop should be up in July. I don't have (can't tell) the details, but you should be able to:

- Buy Gustard products with international credit cards or Paypal
- Get extended warranty (not decided on yet I hear, but being considered after all the Europeans cried about two years in the H10 thread :wink:)
- Handle everything in English, including payment, warranty or other related issues
- Get rewarded for having reviewed Gustard products (don't ask me how)
- Pay more than the Chinese do, but not too much more

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #209 of 605
  News: An official, international Gustard shop should be up in July. I don't have (can't tell) the details, but you should be able to:

- Buy Gustard products with international credit cards or Paypal
- Get extended warranty (not decided on yet I hear, but being considered after all the Europeans cried about two years in the H10 thread :wink:)
- Handle everything in English, including payment, warranty or other related issues
- Get rewarded for having reviewed Gustard products (don't ask me how)
- Pay more than the Chinese do, but not too much more

Any idea when is x20 will be out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back