Gun-Fi
Jul 1, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,291 of 1,730
1911's aren't thick at all, they're thinner than anything with a double stack.  But honestly, with a good holster you can carry almost anything.  I have a matt delfatti holster for my HK USP Tactical 45, which is a giant gun, but it disappears in that holster.

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,292 of 1,730

Quote:
How can anyone carry a 1911 inside the waistband?  Even the small kimber carry 1911 seems very thick.

Easy.  With a proper belt and well designed IWB holster you can carry most pistols comfortably.  I carried a Commander sized 1911 for a number of years and it was very comfortable in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.  For the past several months, I converted to a full size Springfield XDM (45 ACP) in a Crossbreed Super Tuck.  Extremely comfortable even with the full size, double stack XDM.  Belt is also important.  These work very well:  http://www.thebeltman.net/

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #1,293 of 1,730
I've lived many years with the 1911, including my first Series 70 Govt Model, bought brand new in Killeen TX for about $225. (or something like that).

After that it was SIG, the 220ST and the 228. It takes determined training to perfect the DA to SA transition. 

When SIG went downhill, I moved on to Glock and never looked back. Started with the 17 and now I have 19s. I prefer the modern designs for their inherent reliability. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,294 of 1,730
I've been using the 1911 a bit more down here in the desert. I've come to like it, but the one thing that bothers me is decocking while loaded. I don't like having to pull the trigger and slowly letting down the hammer. I much prefer a decocking lever. But it's a fine gun, reliable and accurate. I'm not sure it's something I'd want to carry. In a tense situation, I might not let the hammer down as smoothly as it needed.

The gun I've been taking a liking to is the Sig P6 (P225) that was a former West German police gun. I bought it because I wanted to practice with cheaper 9mm ammo, but the thing has really won me over. Trigger pull is on the heavy side and it only holds eight rounds. But I love the ergos, it's damned reliable and very accurate. It has a good decocking lever, too. I have loads of confidence in it - this is the one I'd carry if I carried daily. Only thing is that I need to find some kind of good holster for it, and I'm not terribly up on who makes good ones.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #1,295 of 1,730
thats because you're not supposed to carry it that way. Hammer down is more dangerous than safety on. I carried without one in the pipe. Just practice drawing and racking the slide as a single action.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,296 of 1,730

Quote:
I've been using the 1911 a bit more down here in the desert. I've come to like it, but the one thing that bothers me is decocking while loaded. I don't like having to pull the trigger and slowly letting down the hammer. I much prefer a decocking lever. But it's a fine gun, reliable and accurate. I'm not sure it's something I'd want to carry. In a tense situation, I might not let the hammer down as smoothly as it needed.

The gun I've been taking a liking to is the Sig P6 (P225) that was a former West German police gun. I bought it because I wanted to practice with cheaper 9mm ammo, but the thing has really won me over. Trigger pull is on the heavy side and it only holds eight rounds. But I love the ergos, it's damned reliable and very accurate. It has a good decocking lever, too. I have loads of confidence in it - this is the one I'd carry if I carried daily. Only thing is that I need to find some kind of good holster for it, and I'm not terribly up on who makes good ones.

That's why trained users of the 1911 all carry in condition 3--cocked and locked. If a shooter can't flip the safety on with a cocked hammer in a tense situation and feel absolutely secure, imo they are not adequately trained to carry a 1911.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,297 of 1,730
Cocked and locked or carry something else.

You'd thinking sweeping the safety during the draw stroke wouldn't be that difficult. I did. But I've seen an astonishing  number of people in multiple hand gun classes absolutely flubber the safety - and never master it after  two days and a thousand rounds.  Imagine doing it under "real" stress if you have not honestly mastered it.

With a carry gun you are already behind the eight ball. You have to clear your garment to draw to begin with.  THAT ---clearing you shirt and a proper draw stroke--- is what everyone should be focused on who carries, not manipulating external safeties, and absolutely not working slides, and so forth.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,298 of 1,730

Quote:
Easy.  With a proper belt and well designed IWB holster you can carry most pistols comfortably.  I carried a Commander sized 1911 for a number of years and it was very comfortable in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.  For the past several months, I converted to a full size Springfield XDM (45 ACP) in a Crossbreed Super Tuck.  Extremely comfortable even with the full size, double stack XDM.  Belt is also important.  These work very well:  http://www.thebeltman.net/

KD holster makes a very nice IWB holster called the Defender. I used one with my XD 45 and with the XD40 SC. I currently use a Galco NSA which is also a great IWB holster for my Kimber.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,299 of 1,730

Quote:
thats because you're not supposed to carry it that way. Hammer down is more dangerous than safety on. I carried without one in the pipe. Just practice drawing and racking the slide as a single action.

Drawing and racking the slide too much work in a stressful situation. If you are uncomfortable carrying cocked and locked, check out a DA. Or better yet, do research on the 1911 design. It is a great gun and very safe to carry. I am embarrased to say that I have even tested my safety by accidentally dropping my Kimber while pulling up my pants in a stall. I carry IWB and the gun flipped over the top of my pants while pulling them up. The only noise it made was the unimpressive "thump" when $1200 hit the floor. On a side note, never attempt to catch a falling gun.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,301 of 1,730

Quote:
Here's a few of mine...

Old Smith&Wesson .38 Special... not mine

oldsw.jpg

My first Ruger...
rgr.jpg

9MM Taurus. Had a lot of use!
9m.jpg

Heckler & Koch USP-40. Got it when they first came out
hk.jpg

Taurus 94 .22
22t.jpg

Smith & Wesson 586 .357
586.jpg

U talkin' to me? Model 27 .357 8 3/8 inch barrel
27.jpg

Group shot of Revolvers
group.jpg

Whole family
family.jpg

WOW!
Gotta love your Ruger 22/45 Mark II so much better than the Mark III since it doesn't have that magazine disconnect that really blows. :))

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,302 of 1,730

Quote:

WOW!
Gotta love your Ruger 22/45 Mark II so much better than the Mark III since it doesn't have that magazine disconnect that really blows. :))

Just to be technical, it's the ruger mk II, not the ruger 22/45 mark II (that is a totally different gun you are referring to).

The little 22's are not going to be used for self defense.  They are for fun and practice.  The magazine disconnect is a safety measure, which is useful for people who are just starting out and need to get familiar with guns.  If this were an EDC firearm, then that would be a whole different story.  

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,303 of 1,730

Quote:
Just to be technical, it's the ruger mk II, not the ruger 22/45 mark II (that is a totally different gun you are referring to).

The little 22's are not going to be used for self defense.  They are for fun and practice.  The magazine disconnect is a safety measure, which is useful for people who are just starting out and need to get familiar with guns.  If this were an EDC firearm, then that would be a whole different story.  

What is the difference between the 22/45 and the MKII,isn't it the same pistol.  Can you please tell me whats difference I thought they were both the same guns. :/

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,304 of 1,730
I own too many to mention. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,305 of 1,730

Quote:

What is the difference between the 22/45 and the MKII,isn't it the same pistol.  Can you please tell me whats difference I thought they were both the same guns. :/

The main difference is the grip is reshaped to replicate the 1911. The original purpose was to provide 2700 bullseye shooters with common pistol ergonomics, being that the 1911 is the predominant platform for centerfire. High Standard was probably the first to market this concept, in their target rimfires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back