[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Nov 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #109 of 234
Just tried this yesterday, ordered the biggest felt pads I could get off amazon (50mm x 4mm) which seemed pretty thick and densely packed together!

But after giving them a go all the same I can definitely agree that the change is very noticeable and for the majority of the music I listen to being rock, it definitely helps uncover some more bass and mids now that the treble is ever so slightly toned down...

Also definitely less fatiguing that before and a more laid back sound that I'm enjoying :)

Thanks Zombie_X and all the rest who have messed around with this and posted on this thread!

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #110 of 234
Wow, what a big difference.

The sound is much more laid back and less in your face. I felt like a took two three rows back from the stage though. The sibilance is definitely cut down though some still occur from time to time on some recordings.

I was a little confused what was 'in front of the driver' and 'under the driver' until I watched the video, thanks it was very helpful.

Overall, I think cutting down the sibilance was worth it over taking couple steps back from the 'stage'.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #111 of 234
i have not yet opened nor modded my t1s,

the sibilance is clearly pronounced, especially with male vocals in long pronounced c-s and s-es, when listening at fairly high volumes,

is it a cup resonance effect or a higher spl output level of the driver in that band region? maybe just pronouncing, revealing, the already present mic produced resonance in the record? cos it really happens to manifest with all the cans when listening to records mastered with increased loudness, while the actual intensity varies with different cans, amps etc, the effects perception is the same.

have anyone tried to place tinny strips of dampening, would it cause diffraction and/or segmented resonance, between strips?

what about cutting off  the whole plastic back of the cup? any bravehearts? that would make the t1s open back i guess? this idea is starting to persuade me...

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #114 of 234
I have a fairly new pair of T1's
I assume this mod will void the warranty....or am i wrong?

Imo it seems almost outrageous that a $1300.00 high-end headphone would need this kind of band-aid treatment to get it to sound right...or am i wrong?

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #115 of 234
^ First of all ask yourself if you can hear the problem at all. 

I personally don't like to perform mods on my headphones because 1. It voids the warranty and 2. It hurts the resale value.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #116 of 234
Quote:

Imo it seems almost outrageous that a $1300.00 high-end headphone would need this kind of band-aid treatment to get it to sound right...or am i wrong?

there is no fault in the sound, they r just very revealing, if the record or amp r harsh they tend to be sparkly harsh too

and all manufacturers reference cans r priced high, and none is perfect, but i really appreciate what the t1s offer, still wouldn't buy for 1000+ usd

but i m very curious about replacing the plastic driver cup with something modded, maybe something wooden

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #117 of 234
Quote:

It doesn't void the warranty, well even if it does, as long as you take out the felt and stuff no one will notice because its reversible.

In fact, I went on a damping rampage... and this is what happened. I'm quite pleased with the results though. :p

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #119 of 234
Has anyone experimented with dampening materials on the outside of the cups?  This might be a way to try out the effect without opening up the headphones. Of course it would not be the same since it would not directly diffuse the sound waves, but it might still reduce resonances in the cups. Probably would not look too good also, but of course it would be easily reversible.

I have some T1s coming to me this week, so I may try something on the outside myself.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #120 of 234
I got my T1s and now that I can see the texture of the exterior, I guess I wont be sticking anything on the outsides of the cups like blu-tack. However, I used to use lead shot on equipment including speakers to reduce vibrations. I wonder if a small plastic bag of lead shot taped to the outside of the cups would do anything. Once I have gotten used to their sound, I may give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back