[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Feb 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #121 of 234
Quote:
I got my T1s and now that I can see the texture of the exterior, I guess I wont be sticking anything on the outsides of the cups like blu-tack. However, I used to use lead shot on equipment including speakers to reduce vibrations. I wonder if a small plastic bag of lead shot taped to the outside of the cups would do anything. Once I have gotten used to their sound, I may give it a try.

Let us know how it goes! :p

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #123 of 234
Even with all the stuff I crammed in my pair, there is a bit of sibilance left. Time for some more brainstorming. :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #124 of 234
Quote:
Even with all the stuff I crammed in my pair, there is a bit of sibilance left. Time for some more brainstorming. :)

After hearing my pair, I am very surprised that Srajan on 6moons described them as warm and laid back. But he had a pair that was recabled by ALO. So maybe switching the cable would tame them some more.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #125 of 234
Can changing the cable really do that much? lol

It took a lot of different materials to considerably the tame treble and bring up the bass + lower midrange. Compared to stock, I think its safe to my T1's are a lot warmer and more laid back.

Btw, I managed to stuff some acoustic foam as well as styrofoam here and there. It seems to have calmed that excess sibilance I mentioned in my previous post.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #126 of 234
Quote:
It doesn't void the warranty, well even if it does, as long as you take out the felt and stuff no one will notice because its reversible.

In fact, I went on a damping rampage... and this is what happened. I'm quite pleased with the results though. :p

WOW!!! 
size]
 what did you do to your T1?? don't you think that that might suffocate it? btw, mind explaining what you did to your pads and directly on the back of the drivers on the 3rd picture? also if you're so kind to to give a detail explanation of the sound from this? thank you so much, Some how i would like some more bass from my T1, but the mids and treble is just right now.. :)

on other note, this is mine,

The 3 cubes are ASI Sugar Cubes, improves only slightly on the sound, mostly soundstage, imaging and focus(details). 

Sticking blutack on the outside of the cups is a bad idea, i tried sticking my cubes outside... spent hours trying to take out the freaking tacks!! anyways, there's little improvement on sound with things outside of the cup cause T1 is semi-open.. cans like LCD-3, HE-500 on the other hand will have lots to play with haha

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #127 of 234
Feb 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #128 of 234
Quote:
Hi,

So I'm thinking of doing the mod to my T1, is this the correct type of felt as mentioned in the OP? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SL3SEG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0XP2D2W8WTE514TAENTM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846 if not where can I find the correct ones?

Just trying to make sure I won't screw up the first steps. This will be the first internal mod I've ever attempted.

From the looks of the item you linked to, I do not think they are felt at all. Looks like hard plastic to me.

Here is some very thin felt: http://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Backed-Felt-Grey-Pack/dp/B0078NUFZM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1360097904&sr=8-5&keywords=adhesive+felt%27

And this looks interesting: http://www.amazon.com/13-36-ROLL-ABSORBING-VIBRATION/dp/B007NZFROY/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1360097622&sr=1-12&keywords=sticky+felt

And if you need to wear a disguise while listening there is this: http://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-Mustaches-Set-Halloween/dp/B0010W49K4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1360097904&sr=8-11&keywords=adhesive+felt%27

Maybe someone has the specific link to felt that they used.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #129 of 234
Quote:
don't you think that that might suffocate it? btw, mind explaining what you did to your pads and directly on the back of the drivers on the 3rd picture? also if you're so kind to to give a detail explanation of the sound from this? thank you so much, Some how i would like some more bass from my T1, but the mids and treble is just right now.. :)

I was worried about that too lol so I've tweaked it some more to give space for the driver to breathe

Think HE-500 tonality with less bass warmth/texture. Thankfully, this modding thing has served me twofold.

The modding helped me confirm some driver related issue that I was previously unsure about (I'm sending my pair in for replacement). Also turns it out that I find I'm not liking the bass characteristics of the T1 - at least from my pair.

I hope issue I have with the T1's are confined to my faulty pair because I really really like this can. A lot.

*Darn Beyer and their spotty product variance 
angry_face.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #130 of 234
I see.... well yeah, it could be your pair... But... sorry to burst your bubble, I went to jaben today to try out UE900, T90 and my Eq7 with comply foams.. T1, has the least bass presence compared to them... haha, T1 bass-lite? :frowning2: but T1's bass and overall tonality is better compared to them to my ears. I think cause T1 lacks the WOW effect, but much better in control and finesse.

I think i'll play around with my dampening again after Chinese New Years. :) Still in love with T1 even after so long.. :D

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #131 of 234
WOW!  This mod is a major improvement.  Thanks Zombie_X and all.

J River > USB > NAD M51 > Kimber KCAG > SPL Auditor > Beyerdynamic T1

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #132 of 234
just wanted to add, advise you, to start opening the coup from this little protuberance, tooth (red circle), that's why it's there, so you don't wear the plastic grips on the other sides!!!

and when you put it back, it goes last in, first the opposite side

another thing i noted is that some of the silky mesh grills of the coup between the driver and the ear (green) tend to vibrate when i tested the cans with a sine wave, 50 hz and lower, at very loud volume, louder than anyone could listen to, but i wanted to point that so you wouldn't mistake it for a driver failure, it sounds like brrrrr, grrrrr, srrrrrr, and if you lightly touch the grills it stops  

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #133 of 234
I did the tissue and felt mod to my T1s, only instead of felt I used 3mm Poron which is a vibration absorbing foamed material (based on rubber I presume) and used by Linn as the noise reduction material wrapped around their £2,000 DC motor upgrade. I then remembered I had some offcuts of Brazilian Rosewood...the one that is used in the most tonal musical instruments such as vintage Fenders and Gibsons, and which is protected nowadays and therefore VERY rare. So I made some 8mm cubes and drilled a single small hole through them. When I had applied all 3, incrementally, I might add, to keep checking the result, the FINAL effect was a fair improvement over the stock T1....

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #134 of 234
What's the current status of this mod?
I am about to try it, so please correct me if I am missing something:

- you cut two half donuts one from thin self adhesive felt and another one from thicker. (Any links to the actual felt used (thin and thick) will be greatly appreciated)
- thinner felt gets installed in front and thicker in the back of the driver

Thanks in advance

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #135 of 234
Quote:
Hi,

Glad to hear you like the mod. The reverb from the plastic seems to really turn the brightness up. The felt absorbs the back wave completely, so the colorations of the reverb are now gone. I found that this mod does beef up the bass and mids a bit, which is always a plus.

Any other thoughts Manko?

Would dynamat work for reverb cutting? Worked wonder for Denon and MDR-1R but on them it was mostly resonance problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back