[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Jun 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 234

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

For the longest time I have sought out how to properly dampen the inside of my T1. It sounds really darned good when not dampened but always had a slight bump in treble at certain frequencies that gave the headphones a resonance with the cup it's in. The back of the inside of the T1's cup has no damping at all, and the sound from the drivers reflects back at the driver and to your ear. This makes the sound somewhat edgy with a bump in the treble and an odd resonance in the mids. The bass also suffers a bit and sound a bit off at points.

I spent a lot of time tying to fix this issue. I tried adhesive speaker foam that didn't work that well at all. The sound became a bit brighter with the adhesive foam. So that was a no go. I next tried acoustic stuffing and that helped a lot but it made them sound more lifeless. It toned down the bass and subdued the treble. Not good at all, but the mids did sound better.

Finally I found some adhesive felt. Go too thick and the sound is muddy, go too thin and nothing happens at all. You have to find the right thickness and I found that 1/8" to 1/4" thickness to work best. The felt kills all the resonances, tightens the bass and gives it more power (presence) and the sound is a bit smoother. It did everything right!

WHAT IS NEEDED:
  1. Flathead Jewelry Screwdriver
  2. Self Adhesive Felt (1/8" or 1/4" Thickness) (Super Sliders brand works great)
  3. X-Acto Blade or Craft Scissors

HOW TO OPEN AND DAMPEN YOUR T1:

1) Gently pull off the ear pads till they are both completely off.

2) Once the pads are off, you will see a black ring around the outer edge of each driver. This is placed to hold the drivers in place. You need to use your jewelry flat head screwdriver to pop them out. There are little gaps around each ring, so gently pry them off from those gaps.

3) Now that the rings are out you can open up the headphone and expose it's insides. The inner backside of the cup is bare so that's where the felt will go.

4) Now you have to cut the felt into the proper shape. For mine I used the circular felt pads from Super Sliders and trimmed 1/4" off the diameter of the pads. I thin cut the pads in half. Once cut in half I cut a half circle out of each of them, also making sure that the remaining ring is 1/2" wide.

5) You can now remove the adhesive backing off the pads and adhere them to the inside of the headphone. It's perfectly fine if the felt is a bit off center, just as long as you leave enough room to escape from the driver and cup.

6) Optional Step: you can cut small strips of felt and line the side walls of the T1 to further reduce resonance, but you will over dampen the headphone is too much is used. Make sure to leave the small vents on the inside uncovered.

7) Reassemble your headphones and enjoy the improved sound of your T1's!

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 234
UPDATE:

I and several members have found that using thinner felt in front of the driver works best. If the felt is far too thick it will really deaden the sound as it chokes the driver of air and you end up loosing a lot of air. Having thinner felt in front and thicker in the back seem to give the best combo. Thinner felt allows more airflow in front of the driver, where it's needed.

Using thin felt behind the driver dampens nicely, but not as good as thick felt. The audible difference is not that big as with the thick felt. The sound with thick felt is more meaty and smooth. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 234
Very detailed. Thanks! I will try it when I get some of this sticky felt.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 234
I wouldn't dare opening a set of around 1k dollars 
tongue.gif

good job

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 234
Thanks guys :wink:

This mod is easy and can be undone easily. So no worries, plus the materials are cheap enough.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 234
I've got a good feel for the T1's innards, so it wasn't scary to me. I only get cautious when it's stuff I've not dealt with before.

Quote:
I admire your ability to do fidily things with $1000 headphones. I would be too scared to open it up.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 234
nice.... am keen to try this out... however any detailed comparison between this and stock? thankss....

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 234
I don't have another T1 on had to try out but I can get one possibly.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 234
i see... then can you elaborate on the improvements on the sound? haha i'm really interested in this mod.. it seems very interesting :) but haven't ever opened my T1 before lol..

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 234
Hi,

The main improvement is the smoother treble. It's not muffled or lacking, but it's presentation is much smoother. The midrange gets fuller without sacrificing detail and transparency. The bass gets more body as well and is tighter with more depth.

Quote:
i see... then can you elaborate on the improvements on the sound? haha i'm really interested in this mod.. it seems very interesting :) but haven't ever opened my T1 before lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back