gs1000 vs hf2?
Sep 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 48
i'm using the hf2 with the bagels now and have to say the presentation does change.
i'm hearing more sibilance on rock and pop tracks (close to the gs1k) but still not as
extended. cymbols sound more restraint on the hf2 (but have to note i've only got 4 hrs.
on it) the midbass is still present but not as extended as the gs1k in the sub-bass.
electronica/trance tracks will present this clearly. but the hf2 with the bagels is not as
bad as some may've made them out to be, in my case. they're much more comfortable,
that's a big plus and the soundstage does increase slightly. not as detail rich as the gs1k
but for some music that's not a bad thing (aka acdc). the mid bass of the hf2 hits harder
and sound just as satisfying as the denon d5000 w mods. with some more burn-in i expect
the bass to be better focused.

vl2_181684.jpg

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I preferred the GS1K over the HF2 by quite a large margin. Just really don't like the huge overpowering bass in the HF2.

I really just don't understand how you can possibly quantify the HF-2's bass as "huge" or "overpowering". In my opinion, they're a little light on bass, but fairly accurate. Certainly, compared to my HF-1's, they don't have nearly as much bass.

I think my main issue with the production GS-1k's is that they just have extremely strident, almost shrill highs with sucked out mids. Just way, way too bright overall... completely unrealistic, in my opinion.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #19 of 48
You dont have any shops in UK who selling GS1k? Come over to Rotterdam then, its not expensive and there are some nice shops up here
wink.gif

Actually, if you may call UK Grado dealer, suppose there is one, they may send you GS1k for try out, so you loose shipping charges both way only. Of course you have to deposit the whole amount first, which you get back after you return them. Or they just help you to find out some shops in your neighbourhood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not in UK im afraid
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really just don't understand how you can possibly quantify the HF-2's bass as "huge" or "overpowering". In my opinion, they're a little light on bass, but fairly accurate. Certainly, compared to my HF-1's, they don't have nearly as much bass.

I think my main issue with the production GS-1k's is that they just have extremely strident, almost shrill highs with sucked out mids. Just way, way too bright overall... completely unrealistic, in my opinion.

it's just a guess, but i think the gs1k was voiced for classical recordings. i've
over 200 cd/sacd of classical and not a single title has shown sibilance or
brightness with the gs1k. most jazz recordings are the same. but almost all
rock and pop recordings seem to show some sibilance on some tracks.

btw, have you listened to the gs1k with bowls instead of the jumbo bagels?
the mids are there in abundance. takes care of much of the sibilance too.
the airy soundstage is collapsed though. and it seems the mid bass of the gs1k
is less prominent than the hf2, comparing both with bowls.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Didn't say the GS1000 isn't bright, it is, but the HF-2 has the most bloated bass I've heard in any Grado. As for unrealistic, well, maybe compared to a club environment while standing next to a badly tuned subwoofer, it's not overpowering and sounds quite realistic, but compared to an acoustic guitar played live, I'd say it's pretty far out there.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

If you heard this then I think something is wrong in your source. gs1000 needs quality source and more power=they are bigger eatard than hf2 without words.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #23 of 48
Each Grado with bagel pads has strong sound dependence on the clamping force. To evaluate the GS1000/100i/PS1000 properly you need to experiment bending the headband and adjusting different clamping to see what happens each time. They might be distant, bright and colorful or dark, cold, with hard bottom and top end, or something in between. The GS1000 is an obvious step forward from all SR and RS models now in production, just let them show it to you. Good source and a decent amp is mandatory. It doesn't have to be expensive, just correct sounding. I have no idea about the HF-2, BTW.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's just a guess, but i think the gs1k was voiced for classical recordings. i've

Maybe you're right. I'm not the biggest orchestra man. When it comes to the classical realm, I'm very biased towards pipe organs, and because I've heard so many in person and actually maintain one at my local church, I'm used to the sound and know what it should sound like. I agree bright phones give a more accurate representation of classical and such because they emphasize harmonics that tend to get sucked out during the recording process, however, I found even the GS-1k's to be downright shrill when fed too much high-end information.

I did try the bowls with them and found that they significantly compromised the sound. I think John knew what he was doing when he developed the bagels and the GS-1k's.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

i'm using the hf2 with the bagels now and have to say the presentation does change.
i'm hearing more sibilance on rock and pop tracks (close to the gs1k) but still not as
extended. cymbols sound more restraint on the hf2 (but have to note i've only got 4 hrs.
on it) the midbass is still present but not as extended as the gs1k in the sub-bass.
electronica/trance tracks will present this clearly. but the hf2 with the bagels is not as
bad as some may've made them out to be, in my case. they're much more comfortable,
that's a big plus and the soundstage does increase slightly. not as detail rich as the gs1k
but for some music that's not a bad thing (aka acdc). the mid bass of the hf2 hits harder
and sound just as satisfying as the denon d5000 w mods. with some more burn-in i expect
the bass to be better focused.

vl2_181684.jpg

I know that sound is the primary objective here but do you end up looking like Princess Leia when you put those on?

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that sound is the primary objective here but do you end up looking like Princess Leia when you put those on?

yeah...probably. but the wife doesn't seem to mind...

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #27 of 48
I wrote ones that GS1000 were made for Jazz, but after upgrading my CDP/AMP combo I changed my opinion. I know, at least based on the records I own, that GS1k do not accept any record faults, so the good CDP or AMP. From one record to another I was re-discovering them again, but the records that were bad sounding then, still sound bad anyway, while good recorded stuff were simply amazing, in any genre, include ROCK, TRANCE, POP, what ever.
The deal here is the preferences, some like more closer, in your face Grado punch, which I did to, until GS1k came out. Its become quite clear to me that there are no other Grado in the production that can keep up with GS1000. If you ever get the chance to hear great Rock record with GS1000, I hardly doubt you will be back to anything, but GS1k. We have to compromise a lot, at least I did, buying SR225, SR325i, RS1 as my second option for ROCK only, but non of them sounded that good to me as GS1k did anymore, even PS1 failed. All this above is just the past, cos I don't own any Grado, still love it, but simply moved. I didn't tried PS1000 yet, so, no comment up here, but even they are that good, which I believe they are, going the same path again is not what my plans are, not at the moment, but who knows the future

I can recommend one ROCK record that in my system sounded simply amazing and that's Deep Purple "Purpendicular". The rest of ROCK I still own is not at that level, not talking about Pink Floyd kind of music, HARD ROCK I mean. The rest I own is nothing special, usually bad or still having some issues.

Quote:

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Didn't say the GS1000 isn't bright, it is, but the HF-2 has the most bloated bass I've heard in any Grado. As for unrealistic, well, maybe compared to a club environment while standing next to a badly tuned subwoofer, it's not overpowering and sounds quite realistic, but compared to an acoustic guitar played live, I'd say it's pretty far out there.

if my memory serves me here, you listened to them with flat pads right? Cause i totally agree with you about the HF2 with flats. They are the only grados I haven't preferred with flat pads.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

the HF-2 has the most bloated bass I've heard in any Grado. As for unrealistic, well, maybe compared to a club environment while standing next to a badly tuned subwoofer, it's not overpowering and sounds quite realistic, but compared to an acoustic guitar played live, I'd say it's pretty far out there.

that was my impression too out of the box with bowls. i wouldn't say it's as bad as standing in a club with booming bass, but it just sounds unrealistic. after burn-in the bass does tighten up, but still a bit overwhelming for my taste. i still much prefer bagels.

awaiting more bagel impressions/comparisons from takezo after some more hours of burn-in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back