greatest rock voice?
Oct 21, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #47 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
Easy winner - Klaus Meine of the Scorpions.

There are many greats but Klaus was the first that came to mind when I read the thread title.

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #48 of 112
There are also some of the great, gravelly voices....

I"m thinking Rod Steward, Bob Segar, George Thorogood, and one of my favorites, Keith Richard.

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #51 of 112
John Hiatt

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #52 of 112
Hmmph, I'm surprised he hasn't either. I was going to list Patton, Stayley, Cornell, Maynard, and the last choice isn't the best technically, but everything rock SHOULD be, Mike Ness.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #54 of 112
I'd say for metal Ronnie James Dio is quite amazing.

Also, let's not forget Michael Kiske!

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #55 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
I'd say for metal Ronnie James Dio is quite amazing.

Also, let's not forget Michael Kiske!

Uhm, well the former certainly is true, though he lacks the spine-tingling scream of Halford. It is amazing that both have lasted so long, especially considering the toll that said screaming must take.

Kiske, on the other hand, was awesome for about 2 albums (Keepers 1&2) but has not been that much a force since. He doesn't even make the discussion for top power metal vocalist IMO, let alone top metal, or top overall rock vocalist.

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #57 of 112
Jim Morrison first, then Freddy Mercury (close second), then Robert Plant, Pete Townsend, Mick Jagger, Van Morrison (when he did rock, which was not often) and Levon Helm.

Dylan, Springsteen, Lennon and McCartney all have/had great voices, but I don't consider any of them to be "rock" singers as such.

I think Elvis had the most amazing voice of all, but never managed to get into the rock scene.

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:21 AM Post #58 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Kiske, on the other hand, was awesome for about 2 albums (Keepers 1&2) but has not been that much a force since.

Though have you listened to his ballads in the AINA album? Especially the song "Silver Maiden"... just beautiful

But yeah, Freddie Mercury very much owns them all in overall singing quality/raw emotion/personality
smily_headphones1.gif
(hehehe... I remember how in the Wembley DVD he drops down to the floor and starts moving like a fish out of water
tongue.gif
)

Oct 21, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #59 of 112
I'm surprised Paul Rodgers got only one vote. He strikes me as a great all around rock vocalist. I'm also surprised Rod Steward didn't get more mentions. Maybe because he's more remembered for his pop stuff than his rocking days. "Ain't Superstitious" with Jeff Beck is classic.

Freddie Mercury might be the best technically but he is almost too perfect for rock, but for Queen it worked perfectly. Personally, I prefer my rock vocalists to be a little less than perfect.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #60 of 112
Mike Patton, damn i wanted to be the first

Maynard James Keenan

Chris Cornell

Matt Something from Muse has a great voice, not so sure if it's a "rock" voice though.

thats all i can think of for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back