greatest rock voice?
Oct 22, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #65 of 112
Favorite: Joey Ramone
Best:...? Hard to say, but i'm going with Speedo from Rocket From the Crypt. Freddy Mercury is/was absolutely amazing vocally, quite possibly the greatest, but Speedo is just made for rawk. *throws devil's horns in the air*

What about Bruce Dickinson? As for David Lee Roth, he was one helluva showman, an could definately screech, but he had a very limited vocal range. So gimmie Hagar over Roth.

Decay

Oct 22, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #67 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso
What about Bruce Dickinson? As for David Lee Roth, he was one helluva showman, an could definately screech, but he had a very limited vocal range. So gimmie Hagar over Roth.

Dickinson's great, but Rob Halford is just Rob Halford. There's no beating him.

As for David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar, I'd choose Roth simply because he represented the musical style of Van Halen better. He was the showman, he was the over-the-top guy singing about women and drinking (before rap came along and did the same thing in a whole different way). Sometimes, technical skill isn't everything.

Oct 22, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #68 of 112
My nominees:
Dave Gahan - Depeche Mode (tons of emotion)
Nick Holmes - Paradise Lost (greatest recorded vocals I've heard, live he sucks)
Chris Cornell - Soundgarden (Audioslave sucks
biggrin.gif
)
Maynard James Keenan - Tool, A Perfect Circle (no-brainer on this one)
Nick Cave - Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds (
tongue.gif
)

honorable mention to one of the most easily recognized voices: Dave Mustaine - Megadeth (not a good vocalist, but very unique and effective, Dave's the man)

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #69 of 112
i'd vote for freddie mercury as greatest rock SINGER - but the thread's title is greatest rock VOICE, so i'd say:
howlin' wolf
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #74 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Ann Wilson

That's a good entry because there haven't been many (any?) women chosen in this thread. Ann Wilson would definitely be on the list but if I were to choose a woman it would have to be Janis Joplin.

Oct 26, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #75 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
That's a good entry because there haven't been many (any?) women chosen in this thread. Ann Wilson would definitely be on the list but if I were to choose a woman it would have to be Janis Joplin.

Good point about the lack of women mentioned. I agree about Janis Joplin, man she sings her heart out! I think Grace Slick, and Stevie Nicks are way up there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back