Nov 12, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #92 of 112
peter gabriel the greatest rock voice ?
confused.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #93 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
confused.gif

well, the man does have a very characteristic voice, and you can define 'rock' any way you want...

nevertheless, recognizing greats like freddy mercury, I have to say the voice that has shocked and amazed me most of all was Jeff Buckley's. What I would've given to see that man play live...

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #94 of 112
Quote:

confused.gif

Probably the Peter Gabriel you know today, is not the one, we, the older guys are thinking of, he was the singer from Genesis, before Phill Collins took the mike, and mostly the best Genesis albums were sung by him, he has a very characteristic and unique voice, personally I do not like it (his voice), but he was a great singer in the 70's, and I know a lot of people that will swear on his voice, remember also that in art most of the things are really subjective too....

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #95 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
I'd have to say either R.Plant or the lead singer of the eagles who I don't the name of.

They all sang, but most of the songs were sung by Glenn Frye or Don Henley. I think you're probably referring to Don Henley. Unless of course you mean Joe Walsh.

Nov 12, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #96 of 112
I'd like to put a vote in for Brian Ferry because I just I like the sound of his voice. It might not be great for rock though. For the rock sound I have to mention John Mellencamp and David Johansen, even though I don't care for their music all that much.

Nov 12, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #98 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver
well, the man does have a very characteristic voice, and you can define 'rock' any way you want...

nevertheless, recognizing greats like freddy mercury, I have to say the voice that has shocked and amazed me most of all was Jeff Buckley's. What I would've given to see that man play live...

I'm a quite fan of the "new" Peter Gabriel, while i still restrain from Genesis ( I admit i tried them but may be it's too soon to get on them for my current music orientation)

I'm listening to OVO in this moment; and seek the job of this man as a work of art from when i firstly listened to US and was drowned in his music from, anyway I definitely just can't imagine to think of him as the greatest rock voice, I just think to others ..And think to him as a man of music talent and taste, he's also somewhat genial and very sblr to express out in the music/words combination his inner emotions and emotinal gigs. And therefore one artist that I respect quite a lot among others

Nov 13, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #100 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Probably the Peter Gabriel you know today, is not the one, we, the older guys are thinking of, he was the singer from Genesis, before Phill Collins took the mike, and mostly the best Genesis albums were sung by him, he has a very characteristic and unique voice, personally I do not like it (his voice), but he was a great singer in the 70's, and I know a lot of people that will swear on his voice, remember also that in art most of the things are really subjective too....

100% Right... although I also wouldn't call him "the greatest voice in rock", his singing with Genesis was really amazing and he is IMO among the most gifted and experimental rock composers over time.

Nov 14, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #101 of 112
Quote:

I'm a quite fan of the "new" Peter Gabriel...

I'm listening to OVO in this moment;...

I was about to mention that album. IMO its one of/ if not THE, best of his albums. His latest is also to my liking, though i can't recall the title, and its in my car, and its cold...and i dun wanna run outside...
but I'd have to agree, I wouldn't consider him to be a rock singer, at least not since he left genesis.

Hm... My picks...

James LaBrie
Maynard James Keenan
Rober Plant
Ozzy
Chris Martin(ColdPlay) though I guess some might not consider this to be rock???

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #102 of 112
Robert Smith of The Cure - for me he'll always been and probably will always be the best voice in music. he's got great range for both highs, lows, and everywhere in between, conveys great emotion ranging from anger, humour, and melancholy, and his voice is truly unique. after a first few lines, you know it's Robert Smith singing.

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden - the ultimate operatic heavy metal-rock singer.
biggrin.gif

Ian Curtis of Joy Division - utterly haunting voice. Bono describes his voice as "holy."

James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers - i guess there's no Manics fans here, but i think JBD is tons better than a lot of Indie band singers out there, including Thom Yorke of Radiohead, Matt Bellamy of Muse, even Liam Gallagher. he sounds aggressive and sings his great range with ease while other singers seem to strain to hit those high notes.

Liam Gallagher of Oasis - tons of sneering attitude. he doesn't need to have the prettiest singing voice or the widest range, he just does what he does best. Bono once said "if I was God, Liam would be my only son." some praise, huh?
eek.gif
that said, i think Noel has a much wider range though...

Bono of U2 - as much as i have a love/hate relationship with U2, i do have to agree Bono is great.

Barnard Sumner of New Order - the singer with the "I'm not a singer" voice. he sings like he only makes one take in recordings and leaves it as is, with really unique results. his voice is very boyish and innocent in many ways, and is unmistakable.

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #103 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
Robert Smith of The Cure - for me he'll always been and probably will always be the best voice in music. he's got great range for both highs, lows, and everywhere in between, conveys great emotion ranging from anger, humour, and melancholy, and his voice is truly unique. after a first few lines, you know it's Robert Smith singing.

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden - the ultimate operatic heavy metal-rock singer.
biggrin.gif

Ian Curtis of Joy Division - utterly haunting voice. Bono describes his voice as "holy."

James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers - i guess there's no Manics fans here, but i think JBD is tons better than a lot of Indie band singers out there, including Thom Yorke of Radiohead, Matt Bellamy of Muse, even Liam Gallagher. he sounds aggressive and sings his great range with ease while other singers seem to strain to hit those high notes.

Liam Gallagher of Oasis - tons of sneering attitude. he doesn't need to have the prettiest singing voice or the widest range, he just does what he does best. Bono once said "if I was God, Liam would be my only son." some praise, huh?
eek.gif
that said, i think Noel has a much wider range though...

Bono of U2 - as much as i have a love/hate relationship with U2, i do have to agree Bono is great.

Barnard Sumner of New Order - the singer with the "I'm not a singer" voice. he sings like he only makes one take in recordings and leaves it as is, with really unique results. his voice is very boyish and innocent in many ways, and is unmistakable.

I responded to this thread several pages ago. I amend my previous response to include Robert Smith. I completely agree with the comments above. Smith is so often overlooked even by fans like myself...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #104 of 112
Alright, sinec I don't know any rock, mainly because I don't like it, I will name some metal singers. (I stayed out of the death/black/doom genres and mainly stuck to heavy metal to avoid mass confusion.)

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
King Diamond (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond)
Chuck Billy (Testament)
Paul Di'Anno (Original Iron Maiden vocalist, haven't heard anything since then though.... man that is a good 23 years since Bruce took over)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back