Greatest Present-Day Band?
Dec 9, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #46 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
no other band i know of can play a solid two hour setlist AND come back out for two encore sets of four songs each. The Cure can easily play a three hour show each evening.
eek.gif
they can outplay any band...

from what i've seen, Dream Theater does pretty much the same thing. ~3 hour shows every night, with various encores tagged on to the end.. and i can pretty much guarantee that their setlists require quite a bit more in terms of physical endurance and mental concentration
smily_headphones1.gif

i don't particularly think that they are the greatest band out there, but as far as live shows are concerned.. man.. their shows just go on, and on, and on, and on. they are like cyborgs.

Dec 9, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #47 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
I encourage you all to check out a little band from Maine called Jeremiah Freed. They have a similar sound to The Black Crowes. It's like classic rock with some modern influences. Nick Goodale's guitar work is pretty damn good. He produces both memorable riffs and solors. Joe Smith's voice is decent, but sometimes he has an almost whininess to his voice that I find annoying. BUT, overall, they are very good. And this is coming from a guy who hates pretty much all music on the radio today. Their albums are dirt cheap, too. Their signature album, Jerehmiah Freed and Slowburn are excellent to start with. Times Don't Change is also good, and I think they have a new one out.

Thanks for the recommendation Emon. I listened to their self titled album on Rhapsody and like it enough that I'll pick up a copy of the cd. Good band.

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #49 of 92
Greatest Band Playing:

Tied between Opeth and Tool. Both are the pinnacle of their genres, both put on great shows that are not just lights and big screens, and both have not debuted their music video on a soap (*cough* Stones *cough*) or sound rediculously off key on an iPOD commercial (*cough* U2 *cough*).

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #50 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Course I'm in the Doors-are-insanely-overrated camp too. I go to the Velvets if I want that fix.

i'm so glad i'm not the only one!

i'm going to offer two dark horse picks, both of which could reasonably be declared "best present-day band"...

Stereolab

and

The Bad Seeds (w/Nick Cave, natch)

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #51 of 92
The Flaming Lips, without a doubt. Been making interesting and creative music since 1984, and still don't get in a rut, to this day. You never know what the next album is going to sound like, but you always know it will be amazing...

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #53 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
The Flaming Lips, without a doubt. Been making interesting and creative music since 1984, and still don't get in a rut, to this day. You never know what the next album is going to sound like, but you always know it will be amazing...

they're a definite candidate...

you know, back in 1988 my high school band used to close our sets with a cover of "Everything's Exploding." i never woulda thunk those wackos would stick around for another 15+ years, much less make some brilliant (and popular
blink.gif
) albums.

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #54 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
The Rolling Stones

Haha that's a good point. They're still doing their thing so technically they're still active in the Present Day. In that case I'll throw my vote in for New Order!

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #55 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
for me it's The Cure. always has been and always will be.
i can say with full confidence that no other band has the most consistant quality output, and put on the most amazing live shows... not even U2.

while these young Emo bands quit playing at the 90 minute mark, The Cure is only half way through their REGULAR set. no other band i know of can play a solid two hour setlist AND come back out for two encore sets of four songs each. The Cure can easily play a three hour show each evening.
eek.gif
they can outplay any band...

lastly, there's the fact that The Cure continually inspires... everyone from Interpol, The Killers, Muse, Radiohead, The Rapture, Bloc Party... you name it, they're cited as influences.
biggrin.gif

This is true folks. 10,000 Maniacs once opened for The Cure and they pissed themselves when they saw how tight The Cure were live - "It was like they were on a whole other plane of existence from us."

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #56 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Haha that's a good point. They're still doing their thing so technically they're still active in the Present Day. In that case I'll throw my vote in for New Order!

you know it's funny... i saw them back in 1989 on the Steel Wheels tour, and even then i thought they were freakin' old...

i called it the "Steel Wheelchairs" tour. they must pour in formaldehyde on their waffles or something.

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #57 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i'm so glad i'm not the only one!

I admire the Velvets, but I can't imagine how somebody who calls The Doors "camp" can prefer the Velvets for 'authenticity'. For crying out loud, the VU are the first great overt art-band. When the VU and the capricious LR write really good songs, they beat out poor old Jim Morrison cold. But I'll take Jim Morrison in good humour and fine mettle over Lou in dudgeon (complaining that somebody stepped on somebody's dingdong) any day. Jim Morrison said that Frank Sinatra was the recording artist he most admired. If this kills your idea that JM was America's greatest poet (he's not even the best Hallmark Cards poet), then that's to be expected. If that lets you see that his best pop songs are far witter, livelier and drier that Lou's worst efforts, then we're on the same wavelength.

Frankly, Nick Cave and even the saintly Tom Waits have perpetrated some tremendous dreck in the name of Kurt Weill. Yes, we all know that life on the streets is dark, bitter and quasi-mystical if you read enough Beat poetry or Bukowski or Rimbeaud or you're out to find whether 'Meth-mouth' is the gateway to becoming a real vampire. Take three Sudafed and call me from work when you've gotten over your hard-boiled hangover from the 20th century. [In other words, Yes, you are Neo -- like all those other lads behind you with the leather trench coats. Next please.]

Dec 9, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #58 of 92
I have to say U2 as well.. for their great music but also for the awesome show they put on. Of course I'm biased because I'm a huge fan and just went to the Boston concert. I just love them because they're an uplifting, positive band that can get a room of 50,000 people on their feet dancing and singing together. There are more innovative bands and artistic bands out there, but I think U2 is really amazing in their honesty and passion. They're not afraid to be corny or optimistic. Say what you want about them musically, but Bono is one of the most charismatic frontmen in music today.

Dec 9, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #60 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
I admire the Velvets, but I can't imagine how somebody who calls The Doors "camp" can prefer the Velvets for 'authenticity'. For crying out loud, the VU are the first great overt art-band. When the VU and the capricious LR write really good songs, they beat out poor old Jim Morrison cold. But I'll take Jim Morrison in good humour and fine mettle over Lou in dudgeon (complaining that somebody stepped on somebody's dingdong) any day. Jim Morrison said that Frank Sinatra was the recording artist he most admired. If this kills your idea that JM was America's greatest poet (he's not even the best Hallmark Cards poet), then that's to be expected. If that lets you see that his best pop songs are far witter, livelier and drier that Lou's worst efforts, then we're on the same wavelength.

Frankly, Nick Cave and even the saintly Tom Waits have perpetrated some tremendous dreck in the name of Kurt Weill. Yes, we all know that life on the streets is dark, bitter and quasi-mystical if you read enough Beat poetry or Bukowski or Rimbeaud or you're out to find whether 'Meth-mouth' is the gateway to becoming a real vampire. Take three Sudafed and call me from work when you've gotten over your hard-boiled hangover from the 20th century. [In other words, Yes, you are Neo -- like all those other lads behind you with the leather trench coats. Next please.]

wow, man, i'm glad you got that off your chest!
biggrin.gif

i can totally see where you're coming from. however, i have yet to find a band that has NEVER released a certain amount of "dreck."

sure, Nick Cave thinks he's a strung-out, post-modern Faulkner. Tom Waits became a charicature of himself roundabout Burma Shave. i have to psyche myself up to listen to Loaded without writing Lou Reed off as a sellout. so yeah, Jim at his best is better than Lou at his worst.

but i could also say that the only time Thom Yorke truly transcended his reputation as a whiny, self-loathing savant was on Kid A, and i wouldn't be entirely wrong. and the argument could be made that Tool is just GWAR without a sense of humor...

but hey, this is music... if it sounds good, it is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back