Greatest Present-Day Band?
Dec 5, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #16 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by nirvanalvr12
I am a lover of the classic rock of the sixties and seventies. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, The Who... bands like that. And I do not have nearly the same respect for many present day bands as I do for those stated before. However resently i attended a Dave Matthews Band concert, and I have to say that I was blown away by the talent of everyone in the band. Every single member has an extreme amount of instrumental talent, no matter their instrument. Dave Matthews himself is a good guitarist, and has a wonderful unique voice. And not to mention the amazing lyrics, which, IMO, resemble that of the late great Jim Morrison. The concert was an overwhelmingly grand expirience, and I now have a great more respect for the entire band. Anyone who has not taken the time to listen to this music should attempt it. I know you will not be dissapointed.

What are your favorite bands that are still going strong?

The best way to truly understand DMB is to see them live, as you did. You really need to get the Weekend on the Rocks box set now. It is unbelieveable.

So, I'm in agreement with you.

Pearl Jam and the White Stripes are my other favorites. Both are phenomenal.

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 92
I have far too many favorites to answer this but coming from a technical/music theory angle I would say TOOL... hands down.

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Probably Radiohead.
rolleyes.gif

I think hes probably right. I'm not a huge fan of them, but i think objectively this is as close as you'll get to 'greatest' current band in the most generic form of the term.

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 92
Well, as far as long established bands go, and not just jazz artists, I feel that the most original and unique crowd of musicians right now is the jam band scene. The Disco Biscuits, Steve Kimock Band, Umphrey's McGee, The Breakfast, and others. I also have been getting into the latest White Stripes album, and the John Mayer Trio's Live album, "Try!" is also surprisingly quite good.

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 92
It seems the selections are mostly rock/popular, so add me to the not-really-a-big-fan-but-Radiohead club.

Course I'm in the Doors-are-insanely-overrated camp too. I go to the Velvets if I want that fix.

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 92
I'll agree with Radiohead. They're not my favorite band (although I do really like them), but they have that combination of being a band everybody knows, but also being somewhat expiremental.

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 92
Quote:

Greatest Present-Day Band?

Sadly, it often seems like there is none. It's like, given a selection of two dozen pieces of crap, asking, "which one of these tastes the best?"

Shrug, Sigur Ros is cool, if not weird.

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #25 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Pain of Salvation is home to, IMO, the greatest vocalist/lyricist/songwriter in all of modern rock and metal. reading about the sheer amount of source material that Daniel Gildenlow uses to construct his massive concept albums is staggering.. and the extremely powerful, dynamic, and sometimes over the top vocal delivery is just intense. oh yeah, and the band is also pretty great.. playing their own unique brand of progressive metal, with stylistic deviations that jump around on tangents from one album to the next.

Where should I start with Pain of Salvation?

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #26 of 92
Another vote for Tool.

(A friend of mine recommended me Opeth, Pain of Salvation, and Porcupine Tree when I said I liked Tool. Have not heard their albums completely yet, but working on it)

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 92
No doubt in my mind that its TOOL.

However, I must admit that The Mars Volta has blown me away with their originality and raw talent.
I very much look forward to what they might have in store in the future.

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #28 of 92
Like it or not, the answer is clearly U2. I know a lot of people don't like their music (judging by posts on this and various other forums I frequent). I happen to think they're great. A matter of taste, for sure, but they are the only band with the longevity, depth, quality, commercial success, live performance and impact to match up to the great classic rock bands of old.

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #29 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjp2
Like it or not, the answer is clearly U2. I know a lot of people don't like their music (judging by posts on this and various other forums I frequent). I happen to think they're great. A matter of taste, for sure, but they are the only band with the longevity, depth, quality, commercial success and impact to match up to the great classic rock bands of old.

I think thats a good point. I don't really care for U2 at all, but they are definitely one the biggest bands in the world right now.

But to me, that brings Coldplay to mind as well. And that kind of makes me cringe.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 92
Quote:

What are your favorite bands that are still going strong?

If you use that part of your post: then RUSH is hands-down my pick. They are an amazing live band, their chemistry together is better than ever, and they are still rocking!

I've yet to see the new "R30" concert DVD, but watch "Rush in Rio" and prepare to be blown away by their musicianship and power.

A truly "great" rock band by any definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back