Greatest Present-Day Band?
Dec 4, 2005 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

nirvanalvr12

100+ Head-Fier
I am a lover of the classic rock of the sixties and seventies. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, The Who... bands like that. And I do not have nearly the same respect for many present day bands as I do for those stated before. However resently i attended a Dave Matthews Band concert, and I have to say that I was blown away by the talent of everyone in the band. Every single member has an extreme amount of instrumental talent, no matter their instrument. Dave Matthews himself is a good guitarist, and has a wonderful unique voice. And not to mention the amazing lyrics, which, IMO, resemble that of the late great Jim Morrison. The concert was an overwhelmingly grand expirience, and I now have a great more respect for the entire band. Anyone who has not taken the time to listen to this music should attempt it. I know you will not be dissapointed.

What are your favorite bands that are still going strong?

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 92
If you're looking for a modern rock band that you can respect, I can't hesitate to recommend Porcupine Tree. They're my latest musical obsession. In April they released the best album of the year, "Deadwing".

Check out their website here: http://www.porcupinetree.com/
And my favorite Steven Wilson side project (there are several) here: http://www.blackfield.org/

If you haven't heard any Porcupine Tree music, you're in for a real treat.

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 92
I have to put my vote in for Drive By Truckers.Right now I think their Americas best rock and roll band.Check out Southern Rock Opera or Decoration Day.Their DVD concert Live At The 40 Watt Club is killer!

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 92
I'm going to go with two bands. Radiohead and Tool. I realize that they aren't eveyones cup of tea, but if you're into them they're quite good and very consistant. I can't wait for Tool's new album.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 92
wow.. so many artists to go through.. i'll just cover a few.

my first mention would probably be Gordian Knot - just an incredible meld of prog, fusion, metal, jazz, world, and classical orchestration.. all beautifully composed and brought together by the one and only Sean Malone, bassist/stickman extraordinaire.

Estradasphere takes a spot with their completely absurd take on what happens when you mix jazz, bebop, various 50's music, disco, sci fi sounds, klezmer, circus music, and death metal. it's just the most ridiculous form of prog that i've ever heard (with the exception of a few).

Upsilon Acrux takes the weirdest of King Crimson, multiplies it by 100, and then removes any sense of apparent melody. the resulting experience is something very odd, difficult, and rewarding.

Kayo Dot expands on their old incarnation, Maudlin of the Well, by sounding barely anything like them at all. a project that was supposed to remain in progressive metal territory has turned into something far more expansive - part chamber jazz, part ambience, part dissonant classical, and small part metal.. and even this small part is reminiscent of something like Isis. all in all, another major success on a long list of successes for John Zorn's Tzadik label.

Pain of Salvation is home to, IMO, the greatest vocalist/lyricist/songwriter in all of modern rock and metal. reading about the sheer amount of source material that Daniel Gildenlow uses to construct his massive concept albums is staggering.. and the extremely powerful, dynamic, and sometimes over the top vocal delivery is just intense. oh yeah, and the band is also pretty great.. playing their own unique brand of progressive metal, with stylistic deviations that jump around on tangents from one album to the next.

Behold... the Arctopus' Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning may consist of only three tracks totalling around 17 minutes, but my lord do these musical nerd-athletes pack a lot of music into those 17 minutes. it is without a doubt, one of the crowning achievements of absurdly technical, totally eargasmic, impossibly dense, instrumental neo-avantprog metal.. with the Warr Guitar as a lead instrument, no less! it's headspinningly beautiful stuff, perfect for anybody that's into the absolute extremes of technical complexity. also suitable for those that believe sub-triple digit bpm drumming in straightforward 4/4 is completely unacceptable. the Arctopus will soon take over the Earth, mark my words!

Hiromi is an odd sort of virtuosic piano trio that i'm really into. Anthony Jackson on bass and Dave DiCenso on drums... awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Devin Townsend, Arjen Lucassen, Ron Jarzombek, Vitalij Kuprij, Tony MacAlpine, and Thomas Lang (the drummer, not the pop singer!) are a few solo artists that never fail to catch my attention.

Porcupine Tree, as mentioned above, is a shining light in today's rather bland world of progressive rock.

Meshuggah is an insanely mechanical band that lives and breathes polymetrics. unreal talent that has only gotten better with time.

Secret Chiefs 3 is Mr. Bungle without Mike Patton, though the music is wildly different. it's a pretty goofy outfit, but always a great listen.. one of my present day favorites.

..and speaking of which, there's Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulsant.. the other side of Mr. Bungle's bassist. pretty good stuff.

The Mercury Program puts out a very nice brand of post-rockish music that is full of elusive subtleties, intricacies, and variations that always have you finding new things in songs.

Infidel?/Castro! probably wouldn't be music in the eyes of many, but it's interesting nonetheless. the two guys that make up the group create cinema-scopic soundscapes that are brimming with everything from metal, ambience, indecipherable noise, and various experimental things that will either make you smile gleefully or piss you off severely.

Murcof is one of my current favorites in the world of electronic music. his blend of organic, analogue orchestration and digital texturing is masterful and painfully detailed in every aspect.

The Flower Kings are great for those looking for a slightly more modernized take on classic progressive rock.

Arsis consists of two guys that create music that is hand-crafted for people that think late-period In Flames sucks, Dark Tranquillity is too straightforward, At the Gates is way too slow, and Death is one of the greatest things to ever grace the world of metal. in short - totally kickass metal. i foresee great things for these guys in the future.

Finntroll is a group that always manages to bring a smile to my face.. it's sort of like a big party with ogres, vikings, and fairies. good times!

Ephel Duath is a band that i'm really into right now. they're an Italian group that plays what could probably be called jazz metal.. only most of the members had never played metal prior to the band, hah. the drummer is an instructor of polyrhythms, and the rest have their backgrounds in jazz.. so it actually does sound like jazz metal.

Bumblefoot, aka Ron Thal, is probably the coolest guitar player in existence today (with the exception of Ron Jarzombek, of course!).. so check him out!

this is getting sort of long, so here are a few more names to look into - Andromeda, The Tangent, Vanden Plas, Spastic Ink, Kino, Dredg, The Apex Theory, Ruins, Tool, Frantic Bleep, Freak Kitchen, Spiral Architect, Pagan's Mind, and the Vienna Art Orchestra.

phew..

EDIT: oh, and Riverside! they're like Porcupine Tree, only better.

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 92
Ill second the Drive By-Truckers. They obliterate any argument that "rock is dead." Another great straight ahead rock band is the Frames. Just your normal distorted guitars, 4 beats to a bar, and the occasional acoustic (well, and a violin) but they do it so well its really amazing.

Of the weirder stuff, Radiohead, Wilco and My Morning Jacket are all great and deserving of "best of" nods.

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 92
Van Der Graaf Generator, still doing it after 30 odd years, and having had a long break still as fresh as daisies.

Gomez. My favourite British band of the moment.

Benge. Strange electronica.

Beck. I can't help it. I just like him. So, shoot me.......

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 92
The Tragically Hip

Pearl Jam

The White Stripes

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 92
Somebody had better define "greatest", because otherwise this thread is just people listing thier favorite bands.

There are many great bands, that I do not know or listen to.
rolleyes.gif

(Sorry, I'm a little frazzled from the "Terrible Taste in Music" thread).
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
I have to put my vote in for Drive By Truckers.Right now I think their Americas best rock and roll band.Check out Southern Rock Opera or Decoration Day.Their DVD concert Live At The 40 Watt Club is killer!

I'll second that. They just did a two night stand at a local club that was unreal. They play with the kind of raw energy that was evident in a lot of the early rock bands. Check out some of their live shows at archive.org. I'd recommend the 11.19.05 show at the Cat's Cradle as particularly good.

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 92
System of a down

serj is IMO the best vocalist in the industry (and the best thing to ever come out of classical opera
biggrin.gif
)
i can listen to them over and over again without getting sick of it (i cant say this about ANY other band)

Most of their lyrics, while wierd do make sense (notice i said most not all so dont flame me) you just have to listen to the song a few times carefully

Users who are viewing this thread

Back