Great prices on AKG phones at Northern Sound & Light!
Oct 7, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #106 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
khbaur,
Many sources output are relitively less powerful than others such as home CD transports. This IS why you are needing to turn the V knob higher to get acceptable dbs. Referance the H5 impressions thread where this was discussed for specifics.
Some grain is a negitive quality of some SS amps and that is why tubes are popular with their many disadvantages. Cost, maintenence, fragility. And they too have a problem providing enough "current" to exercise the 701s to their capacity as do many SS amps the H5 included... If we are talking "Best" without compromise then yes, the H5 does have some faults driving the 701s to their prefection. These are all good questions which certainly deserve answers, and there are answers. However; WE make compromises and live with some warts or else prefection costs not only more $$$ but it can ruin the mindset for us to enjoy what is done right with these rigs . IMHO
You're right that this IS also a recording / mix possibility. Pronounced on some music and not others with both tube or SS amps....But more so with the latter playing digital recordings. This is one reason why I run a tube preamp and some swear by vinyl analouge sources.
Also, as you suspect, it also has to do with burn in, of both components, or as in this case, lack there of.

Again, no amount of burn in of both components will allow for any of us on Head-Fi to play any and all music we would otherwise choose, with our high resoulution reproduction equipment with equal sound quality due to the master recording in studio and the nature of the digital medium and solid state amplifiers coupled to high fidelity HeadPhones. However there is alot of music which will sound absoultly fantastic and most folks pick and choose carefully their music hyper anally for these sonic charististics and network to know them. Or else accept the warts on the music we prefer for cultural sentimental reasons with less than stellar sound quality. But I may be wrong ;-}

All in MHO,

And the crowd bursts into applause!

Great post Hi-Finthen.
580smile.gif
Your kind words are important to a beginner like myself.

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #107 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
I haven't heard any "graininess" in my k701s, but my ears are so hi-fi virginal, you know?

I'm no veteran either my friend. Before the K701's, the only semi-decent pair of headphones I owned were the MDR-V700Dj's, which many would contend to the fact I even called them "semi-decent." Also, the K701's are fine at 11:00-12:00 now because it's nighttime and everything is quiet. During the day, the world is louder, and although I'm not turning the volume knob up to drown other disturbing noises out, I turn it up because my ears are, at that moment, accustomed to the louder dB ranges. I'm listening to Eric Clapton's Reptile right now through my cheapo Sony PCDP at about 10:30 and it's just about perfect... (EDIT: What's the Echo Indigo DJ? Could that increase voltage to the H5? Maybe this is why you're getting slightly louder volumes?)

Hi-Finthen, thanks for all your help. Do you think it'd be smart to run my music from my PC to my JVC receiver, and then to my amp? I could most likely get more voltage and subsequent higher decibel levels, but I'm not sure I like the idea of it going through two (possibly three) sets of coloring effects. (the H5, JVC receiver and, if activated, -most times not- the EQ in MediaMonkey)

Thanks guys.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #108 of 137
Quote:

And the crowd bursts into applause!

Great post Hi-Finthen.
580smile.gif
Your kind words are important to a beginner like myself.

*Takes bashful bow* ;}

Glad to pass on what I think I've gleaned from Head-Fi and from personal experience with these same components recently also, if its applicable, useful and appreciated. You do seem to be a happy camper with your rig, hey!

-enjoy the tunage-

khbaur,
Tough to say if it would be at all worthwhile trying to pre the signal through the reciever; as you point out it certainly will create more degradation of signal theortically and amplify it=not good!
Can't hurt to try it fo sh1ts & giggles.... Trial and error my friend, and hopefully, if it doesn't cost ya cake just try it.

However, there's nothing wrong with running the H5 @ 2-3 o'clock there is still headroom above that; Being @ 70% it shouldn't be the cause of any discernable distortion IMHO.

PS: Happy b'day ;-}

Oct 7, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #109 of 137
Quote:

When did they tell you you would receive your 701s? Did they say they were backordered?

ya backorder

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #110 of 137
Mine arrived Thursday. After about 75 hours of burn/break in the 701 are detailed and clear. I had about an hour last night to listen and then back to the sock drawer. I am very happy with the performance though they are very demanding of my source...

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #111 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjeff2006
yea, that's what i'm thinking, sellin in other countries for a cheaper price than they can get but more than the price that i got from NLS, that way it's a win win situation
biggrin.gif
i wouldn't sell it on some place like head fi tho... i think that's unfair

somebody help me buy it.K701, it's very expensive here.
i'm in australia, perth, WA. if i want K701 i've to special order.
plainface.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #112 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
I'd recommend not selling them for more. That's pretty shady imho. I'd buy them, and then sell them to people in the UK or Australia who can't get prices as low as this normally. I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture. If only I had a PayPAl seller account... That 3% does put a damper on things though doesn't it? It'd be nice to not charge them the 3% but then you'd be losing money...

Happy listening!

do you plan to sell to australia?

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #113 of 137
Quick question, do they charge your credit card when you order or when it was shipped?

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #114 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by arifinsonic
do you plan to sell to australia?

PM me if interested. PayPal and shipping will eat up a lot of the price gap between NS&L and other retailers. Please keep that in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp
Quick question, do they charge your credit card when you order or when it was shipped?

Not sure. Depending on how things go with arifinsonic, I might be able to ask them when I order a second pair. Stay tuned.

Update. The bass is opening up it seems. I believe I'm not noticing as much as others might, however, because I listen to these things all the time with uniform breaks/intervals. I'd say about 1/5 of the burn in so far has been on my head. I've also noticed that I haven't been turning it up nearly as loudly as I was before. Perhaps my being prone to turning the volume knob up was due to the lack of bass? However, Idk my subconscious that well, so don't take this as fact.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #115 of 137
/sigh this is hard waiting for 2 headphones
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #116 of 137
uick question, do they charge your credit card when you order or when it was shipped?

I should stay away from this site. Now I'll have two headphones and two headphone amps, I just ordered my K701's from Northern today. To answer a prior post, they do charge your credit card when you order. I was told they expect 8 to arrive within the next two weeks, four were already purchased, so as of this am there were 3 available from that shipment.

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #117 of 137
I should stay away from this site. Now I'll have two headphones and two headphone amps, I just ordered my K701's from Northern today. To answer a prior post, they do charge your credit card when you order. I was told they expect 8 to arrive within the next two weeks, four were already purchased, so as of this am there were 3 available from that shipment.[/QUOTE]sorry for repeat

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #118 of 137
360 hours in the sock drawer and they are lovely. I am using the 701's with a Go-vibe V5 and various portable sources. The Go-Vibe is a little on the small side for these phones but the overall sound is fantastic. I really have to sit and do all that comparing to everything else I own stuff but I really couldn't be happier. I listened to some Bruce Cockburn last night and the acoustic guitar never sounded better. Great transaction and now I have to sell some of my old stuff...

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #119 of 137
360 hours in the sock drawer and they are lovely. I am using the 701's with a Go-vibe V5 and various portable sources. The Go-Vibe is a little on the small side for these phones but the overall sound is fantastic. I really have to sit and do all that comparing to everything else I own stuff but I really couldn't be happier. I listened to some Bruce Cockburn last night and the acoustic guitar never sounded better. Great transaction and now I have to sell some of my old stuff...

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #120 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
Email from Northern Sound & Light, Inc.
"Dear Customer,

Below, please find pricing for the product(s) you inquired about:

AKG K81DJ - $57.85
AKG K701 - $244.42"
Some one mentioned that Northern Sound & Light had a good price on some lower end AKG model. I went to the website and found that the prices were hidden and would be emailed upon request. So, out of curiosity, I asked for the price of the above headphones. For anyone considering purchasing an AKG phone, I suggest you check out this site. It did take them several days to respond to my pricing request, though.

Ok this is strange the 81DJ and 701 are listed as $103 and $450 respectively for me?? Could it be that they are listed in Aus dollars for me??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back