Great prices on AKG phones at Northern Sound & Light!
Oct 5, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #91 of 137
Bollocks! All items shipped signature required. Maybe it will show up during the day when someone will be at my house. Oh well, I was planning on getting them next week anyway, here goes one more weekend without K701's.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #92 of 137
Sry I didn't get here sooner guys.

Yes a signature is required. I for one prefer this, because I'd absolutely go bonkers if they left it on my doorstep and it happened to "magically" disappear. That wouldn't be good at all...

Amen to a K701 smiley. I have one hosted on my photobucket account, but it's so much more time consuming to have to log onto my account every time I want to link to it. Perhaps I'll add it to my favorites?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Impressive for you to put to diaghram and into words that which is heard.... Not to be underestimated in the least; bravo!

It will be curious to hear if this settles down any bit differently should you reflect back to this page at some future point in time having designed a hard copy with which to compare.

First off, thanks for the compliments. I actually just closed my eyes at first and drew what I thought I heard. After I opened my eyes, I could draw a better sketch and agree with what I was hearing/seeing; they both seemed to coincide. As for coming back here for a comparison shot after they've had some proper burn in: for sure. Perhaps I can design one on the computer that will be easier to read and stuff. Who knows?

I gave Jazz at the Pawnshop a try. Man do these portray wind instruments! It sounded like the saxophone was being played directly into my ear! (at times the treble seemed to hurt my ear, i.e. ice pick to the ear drum, but overall, extremely pleased) I let my mom wear them and she was amazed. She said it sounded like "the music wasn't coming form the headphones," but around her. I then concurred and tried to describe instrument separation and sound stage, but she just gave me the "deer in the headlights" look. My dad said what they do with some of the lossless files is pretty amazing and, I quote, "That's what you get with German precision and manufacturing..." I'll take that as a valid comment even though they are Austrian. Sennheiser and beyerDynamic are German as well, correct?

Dream Theater has gained new respect with me. They just sounded OK on my Sony's, but I find their music much more appealing now. (album in reference is 1994 - Awake) With this album, I can definitely relate to the "toy drum" syndrome that AtheisticFreedom had mentioned in another thread. I hope when I get home from school this will have improved some. By no means was the drum portrayed in a negative sense. It simply sounded unrealistic. The bass kick seems to be there, but I've yet to really feel the
basshead.gif
. I'm wondering if I ever will, but then again I've only listened with under 3 hours of burn in on the 701's and about 6 on the Headfive. I'm hopeful.

Again, I recommend the track Mama... by ELO on their album titled ELO II. I simply love the beginning and how the cello's sort of wisp around and stuff. The vocals aren't bad by any means and seem to have good placement. The bass reaches low and is a good standby to see just how accurate the lower frequencies are with the 701's. (Not to mention it's a darn good song) I hate saying "accurate" especially how there have been a few threads fighting about true "accuracy" and appeared accuracy to personal preference. So basically, I'll add my disclaimer saying "The bass is extremely accurate, imho and to my ears."

Can't wait for some people to get theirs! Enjoy them, I know I am!

Edit: Do lossy files sound like they are under pressure? What I mean is that the tracks sound sort of deflated. If you made a large propane tank, and somehow fit you, as well as a musician inside and pumped it to like 10psi, this is what the concert would sound like... It seems like the music is just a lot less responsive. I've also noticed there's a decent amount of constant background noise on many tracks that I purchased form allofmp3.com. Is this normal, or will it improve with burn in? Is it the original recording, or the encoding? Thanks for any input guys.

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #93 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
Sry I didn't get here sooner guys.

Yes a signature is required. I for one prefer this, because I'd absolutely go bonkers if they left it on my doorstep and it happened to "magically" disappear. That wouldn't be good at all...

Amen to a K701 smiley. I have one hosted on my photobucket account, but it's so much more time consuming to have to log onto my account every time I want to link to it. Perhaps I'll add it to my favorites?
tongue.gif

First off, thanks for the compliments. I actually just closed my eyes at first and drew what I thought I heard. After I opened my eyes, I could draw a better sketch and agree with what I was hearing/seeing; they both seemed to coincide. As for coming back here for a comparison shot after they've had some proper burn in: for sure. Perhaps I can design one on the computer that will be easier to read and stuff. Who knows?

"YEP, Seeing with the minds eye "with closed eyes" while attentively(not only critically) listening to HP music IS mandatory IMO and I think other serious Head-fiers would agree, as it hightens our focus and pleasure, suspending disbelief of the experience with our other distracting senses."
'Course, mostly I listen for the general love of music, being played most of the day...And nightly from speakers too in fact ;-}

I gave Jazz at the Pawnshop a try. Man do these portray wind instruments! It sounded like the saxophone was being played directly into my ear! (at times the treble seemed to hurt my ear, i.e. ice pick to the ear drum, but overall, extremely pleased) I let my mom wear them and she was amazed. She said it sounded like "the music wasn't coming form the headphones," but around her. I then concurred and tried to describe instrument separation and sound stage, but she just gave me the "deer in the headlights" look. My dad said what they do with some of the lossless files is pretty amazing and, I quote, "That's what you get with German precision and manufacturing..." I'll take that as a valid comment even though they are Austrian. Sennheiser and beyerDynamic are German as well, correct?

Yep, you've got a typical analytical curious mind with a thirst to figure it out and explain it, a natural to have found this hobby;-} Good stuff-

"Right: AKG is Austrian indeed, and Sennheiser & BeyerDynamics are from neighboring Deutschland-"

"The ice pick referance will evaporate with burn in on these 701s...Had the same reaction myself. Read my "Shinny(silk polyester)fabric modification" in my previous posts. removed after 150hrs....

Dream Theater has gained new respect with me. They just sounded OK on my Sony's, but I find their music much more appealing now. (album in reference is 1994 - Awake) With this album, I can definitely relate to the "toy drum" syndrome that AtheisticFreedom had mentioned in another thread. I hope when I get home from school this will have improved some. By no means was the drum portrayed in a negative sense. It simply sounded unrealistic. The bass kick seems to be there, but I've yet to really feel the
basshead.gif
. I'm wondering if I ever will, but then again I've only listened with under 3 hours of burn in on the 701's and about 6 on the Headfive. I'm hopeful.

"DT is some tough tunage for any home rig and especially HP rigs at this price point which does so many other things great;Its true some compromises are enivitable with single drivers even in $10,000 home stereo setups trying to get the other span of the frequency range correct... bass just is so much more difficult in HPs @ 1W...Refer to that thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201830

"You might play with EQ, seeing as how you're source is lappy or PC..."

Again, I recommend the track Mama... by ELO on their album titled ELO II. I simply love the beginning and how the cello's sort of wisp around and stuff. The vocals aren't bad by any means and seem to have good placement. The bass reaches low and is a good standby to see just how accurate the lower frequencies are with the 701's. (Not to mention it's a darn good song) I hate saying "accurate" especially how there have been a few threads fighting about true "accuracy" and appeared accuracy to personal preference. So basically, I'll add my disclaimer saying "The bass is extremely accurate, imho and to my ears."

Can't wait for some people to get theirs! Enjoy them, I know I am!

Edit: Do lossy files sound like they are under pressure? What I mean is that the tracks sound sort of deflated. If you made a large propane tank, and somehow fit you, as well as a musician inside and pumped it to like 10psi, this is what the concert would sound like... It seems like the music is just a lot less responsive. I've also noticed there's a decent amount of constant background noise on many tracks that I purchased form allofmp3.com. Is this normal, or will it improve with burn in? Is it the original recording, or the encoding? Thanks for any input guys.

"I think you/we maybe missing a few cues with even the best Dynamic Headphones when compared to actual live music preformed. Bass is reinforced by the hall/club/room and is chest pounding at a live Greatful Dead show for instance, and other cues just cannot be faithfully reproduced on Headphones if ever, certainly not at these components price points. Some compromises must be allowed for IMHO....

I'd suggest lossy files are the best user software for delivery of PC digital reproduction.
Then you question the PC itself is it adding "background noise" and question the DACs onboard. IMO that is the weak link in your delivery of lossy files to your H5 component chain at this point. The Digital conversion hardware used. IMHO
And/Or rfi or other PC specific noise....Unfortunatly this will take a process of elimination or an outboard DAC maybe?

Unfortunatly this is the double edged sword making high resolution reproduction equipment (our 701s) problematic;

1)is the crappy digital mixes of some perfectly wonderful music !
2)"You're on the right track to now question the source, both the specific songs original mix/compression in studio of the master recording,which we can't do anything about other than choose other music, sometimes different albums of the same preformers.

Do you have another source you might try, like an inexpensive CD player for sound quality comparisson as a process of elimination?

BTW the shrill HFs WILL evaporate with hundreds of hours burn in "In the sock draw" playin ALL night long!

Enjoy ya tunage ;-}

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #94 of 137
Yea, I've been leaving the 701's running. They have about 22-23 hours on them right now. I don't notice too much difference from last night and I don't think I will until about 100h or so, correct?

I'll check out a cheapo Sony CD player I have, but I don't hear any background noise when I play the files I personally ripped to FLAC (mp3's on the other hand...), so I don't see any purpose in doing this. Other than that, there's not much I can do. I still hear background noise when I use my H320 as the source. I don't have any type of DAC (other than the stock sound card that came with my computer...) and don't plan on getting one any time soon; most likely when I go away to college. (Unless I somehow convince the rents to get me one for my b-day which is, by the way, 2marrow! 18 is gonna be schweet...)

Quote:

I'd suggest lossy files are the best user software for delivery of PC digital reproduction.

Why does FLAC sound so much better then? I don't understand this at all...

I put on my old Sony's today. Nearly threw them off my head. I'm already pampered... It kills me to go to school. I almost don't want to listen to music in school now 'cause I can't bring the K701's with me.

Oct 5, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #95 of 137
Quote:

Yea, I've been leaving the 701's running. They have about 22-23 hours on them right now. I don't notice too much difference from last night and I don't think I will until about 100h or so, correct?

I'll check out a cheapo Sony CD player I have, but I don't hear any background noise when I play the files I personally ripped to FLAC (mp3's on the other hand...), so I don't see any purpose in doing this. Other than that, there's not much I can do. I still hear background noise when I use my H320 as the source. I don't have any type of DAC (other than the stock sound card that came with my computer...) and don't plan on getting one any time soon; most likely when I go away to college. (Unless I somehow convince the rents to get me one for my b-day which is, by the way, 2marrow! 18 is gonna be schweet...)

Why does FLAC sound so much better then? I don't understand this at all...

Sorry, I shouldn't have offered opinions on files or PCs either for that matter, as I have no direct experience with them as my source, presently either SACD or Squeezeboxed internet radio @ 192bit or better for variety... Much I don't fully understand with the PC as source, in fact I havent yet even ventured into PC storage of my CDs riped to files (FLAC or otherwise) to be served to my squeezebox... That'll be yet another audio adventure milestone...

Yea, I'd expect somewhere around 100-150hrs if you play that same track again you'll not experience the "Ice pick" syndrome. But remember, if thats whats on the recording it will be faitfully reproduced even after burn in.

Back to the melodies-

I put on my old Sony's today. Nearly threw them off my head. I'm already pampered... It kills me to go to school. I almost don't want to listen to music in school now 'cause I can't bring the K701's with me.

I know how you feel as with my home system... It now has been relegated to backgrond and or entertaining socially. I play it throughout the night and each and every morning it truly sounds remarkably GREAT.....Until I put my headphone rig on of course! LOL

Oct 6, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #96 of 137
Quote:

Can't bring your 701's? Pshaw!

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #97 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
Can't bring your 701's? Pshaw!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #98 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks
cjeff - What date did you place your order?

ummm i ordered one already on sept.. 22nd, they're in buffalo right now, haha, that's what ups tracking says, but i'm thinking of buying more, and selling it for a profit somewhere else?? or give them away, not sure yet

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #99 of 137
I'd recommend not selling them for more. That's pretty shady imho. I'd buy them, and then sell them to people in the UK or Australia who can't get prices as low as this normally. I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture. If only I had a PayPAl seller account... That 3% does put a damper on things though doesn't it? It'd be nice to not charge them the 3% but then you'd be losing money...

Happy listening!

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #101 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans
hows the bass on the 701's. Impactful or not? Any comparisons to HD650's bass?

With an appropriate 800-1000 SS amp the 650s realy shine in that dpt. more so than the bass would vs the 701; However, with a more pedestrian amplifier the bass on the 650 seems to cover the spectrum into the midrange in my experience. Where as the 701s present its mids uncolored by its very present full lower frequencys presented quite adaquately. IME

Impactful? I don't think you should expect that from HPs in general. 'Course this is tuneage
dependant also. But, a great many generes bass notes are tuneful notes fully appreciated with the LFs with these 701s.....

Bass notes IMPACTFUL with a single driver will suffer into the midrange w/o a hyper amplifier to control the driver. Trade offs always....IMO

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #102 of 137
Quote:

I'd recommend not selling them for more. That's pretty shady imho. I'd buy them, and then sell them to people in the UK or Australia who can't get prices as low as this normally. I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture. If only I had a PayPAl seller account... That 3% does put a damper on things though doesn't it? It'd be nice to not charge them the 3% but then you'd be losing money...

Happy listening!

yea, that's what i'm thinking, sellin in other countries for a cheaper price than they can get but more than the price that i got from NLS, that way it's a win win situation
biggrin.gif
i wouldn't sell it on some place like head fi tho... i think that's unfair

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #103 of 137
Is the Headfive a rather shy amp, or are the K701's really that hard to drive? I've noticed lately I've been cranking my H5 up to like 2:00-2:30 on most albums. (Note: It only goes to about 5:00 o'clock; counter clockwise = louder) Perhaps with some burn in on the H5 it will really let loose and start pumping some juice to the 701's, but as of now, it seems to be fairly polite. Will the H5 ever really drive the K701's with definitive authority? Also, some people claimed they heard "graininess" with their K701's. Where was this graininess? I'm hearing something similar, but in the mid-bass/low mids, but only on a certain track (so far). Is this the recording or will it clear up after burn in? This period in my audio career is pretty nerve racking. I'm a little worried these negative impressions won't be fixed or change...

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #104 of 137
Quote:

Is the Headfive a rather shy amp, or are the K701's really that hard to drive? I've noticed lately I've been cranking my H5 up to like 2:00-2:30 on most albums. (Note: It only goes to about 5:00 o'clock; counter clockwise = louder) Perhaps with some burn in on the H5 it will really let loose and start pumping some juice to the 701's, but as of now, it seems to be fairly polite. Will the H5 ever really drive the K701's with definitive authority? Also, some people claimed they heard "graininess" with their K701's. Where was this graininess? I'm hearing something similar, but in the mid-bass/low mids, but only on a certain track (so far). Is this the recording or will it clear up after burn in? This period in my audio career is pretty nerve racking. I'm a little worried these negative impressions won't be fixed or change...

Thanks.

Got mine in today! Whhhooooooootttt!!!
600smile.gif

khbaur, 2:00 - 2:30 sounds REALLY loud to me, I hover around the 11 o'clock position with the K701's. But maybe you just like your music louder then me.
smily_headphones1.gif

So far, they sound fantastic with synthpop, classical, and, surprisingly, hip-hop. Listening to Ghostface Killah right now and it sounds great. I haven't heard any "graininess" in my k701s, but my ears are so hi-fi virginal, you know? So far I'm just tickled with them (all of the 3 hours I've had them in my possession). My only issue is comfort, because I have a big head, so I need to stretch out the little strap to the max. I almost want to snip those little strings that are causing the resistance, since it fits me best maxed out.

Got some more listening to do!

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #105 of 137
Quote:

Thanks.

khbaur,
Many sources output are relitively less powerful than others such as home CD transports. This IS why you are needing to turn the V knob higher to get acceptable dbs. Referance the H5 impressions thread where this was discussed for specifics.
Some grain is a negitive quality of some SS amps and that is why tubes are popular with their many disadvantages. Cost, maintenence, fragility. And they too have a problem providing enough "current" to exercise the 701s to their capacity as do many SS amps the H5 included... If we are talking "Best" without compromise then yes, the H5 does have some faults driving the 701s to their prefection. These are all good questions which certainly deserve answers, and there are answers. However; WE make compromises and live with some warts or else prefection costs not only more $$$ but it can ruin the mindset for us to enjoy what is done right with these rigs . IMHO
You're right that this IS also a recording / mix possibility. Pronounced on some music and not others with both tube or SS amps....But more so with the latter playing digital recordings. This is one reason why I run a tube preamp and some swear by vinyl analouge sources.
Also, as you suspect, it also has to do with burn in, of both components, or as in this case, lack there of.

Again, no amount of burn in of both components will allow for any of us on Head-Fi to play any and all music we would otherwise choose, with our high resoulution reproduction equipment with equal sound quality due to the master recording in studio and the nature of the digital medium and solid state amplifiers coupled to high fidelity HeadPhones. However there is alot of music which will sound absoultly fantastic and most folks pick and choose carefully their music hyper anally for these sonic charististics and network to know them. Or else accept the warts on the music we prefer for cultural sentimental reasons with less than stellar sound quality. But I may be wrong ;-}

All in MHO,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back