Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #226 of 538
HI Technobear, thanks for taking time to respond. I kept the RCA connection to do an initial A/B comparison with the balanced connection. I detached the the RCA leads leaving the balanced connection as the sole source between the units but either way the sound is awful. My initial thoughts are that the balanced cable is faulty but I am also concerned that there maybe a fault with the Zen Dac. I need some advice on how to identity where the fault lies. Thanks
If removing the other lead didn't do it then it sounds like the cable is mis-wired or the plugs are not making good contact.

If you have a multimeter, you can check that the cable is wired correctly.

I assume you are fully inserting the plugs.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #227 of 538
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #228 of 538
If removing the other lead didn't do it then it sounds like the cable is mis-wired or the plugs are not making good contact.

If you have a multimeter, you can check that the cable is wired correctly.

I assume you are fully inserting the plugs.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. My suspicion is that the balanced cable is faulty. The plugs are fully inserted and the slightest touch affects the channel balance/imbalance. I have tried turning the plugs but I cant get the full soundstage. Something is definitely wrong. Any idea why the insertion of the balanced cable would affect the sound output of the RCA connection? This behaviour led to question the integrity of the DAC.

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #229 of 538
I like this product. Only thing missing is the preamp switch. I can't use my speakers and headphones conveniently with this. For desktop product, companies should start adding this feature. Only Topping L30 has this i guess. My other complaint is vague specs. What is the balanced power output at 32 ohm for example ? or how class a works ? Is it fully class a ? or partially class a like Asgard 3 ?

Another annoying thing you are paying for amp portion of Zen Dac for this stack.

For aesthetics and build quality in my opinion Ifi Zen line is unmatched. Knob and connectors are better than THX 789. Buttons are wiggling but no big deal.

Instead of RCA cables and adapters box should've 4.4mm balanced interconnect cable inside. If you buy this stack you will have 2xRCA cable and 2x6.35mm adapter.

I hope Ifi will release new dac with balanced architecture and preamp switch to stack with Zen Can so i can switch between my speakers and headphones with the press of a button.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #230 of 538
ZEN CAN works great as a fully balanced preamplifier for i.e. a regular stereo power amp.
I want to connect the Zen Can 4.4mm output to unbalanced (RCA) active speaker inputs. Is it OK to connect the 4.4 balanced output to unbalanced inputs (I'm buying a 4.4mm to dual RCA cable for this)? I know with some of my studio equipment that has balanced outs, the manuals say that the balanced outputs are not "servo-balanced" and therefore can be connected to an unbalanced input only if the ground is floating. I don't really understand that, but I'm wondering if the Can has the same limitations.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #231 of 538
Picked up a Zen Can after deciding to cancel my Signature preorder and wait for the Diablo iDSD.

Although the Neo line will be fun to read about this amp is driving my headphones including the Aeon 2 Open like a hot knife through butter.

The HD6XX sounds notably the best with the Bass boost. Honestly I bought it just for the X bass. Lol.
Actually it sound a lot like my 660s that I regrettably sold off.

Great sound from this little thing. It also scratched my ICan Pro itch.

I’m guessing I’d love the X Bass on that beast though.

If I recall correctly the X Bass was more powerful/impactful on my Micro BL. As this doesn’t make my Sundaras thump nearly as hard. Or am I imagining things?

70E05223-39C1-4DFE-88FA-3B65EC700479.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #232 of 538
Picked up a Zen Can after deciding to cancel my Signature preorder and wait for the Diablo iDSD.

Although the Neo line will be fun to read about this amp is driving my headphones including the Aeon 2 Open like a hot knife through butter.

The HD6XX sounds notably the best with the Bass boost. Honestly I bought it just for the X bass. Lol.
Actually it sound a lot like my 660s that I regrettably sold off.

Great sound from this little thing. It also scratched my ICan Pro itch.

I’m guessing I’d love the X Bass on that beast though.

If I recall correctly the X Bass was more powerful/impactful on my Micro BL. As this doesn’t make my Sundaras thump nearly as hard. Or am I imagining things?

70E05223-39C1-4DFE-88FA-3B65EC700479.jpeg
They claim they are fixing the open back roll off. I think it fixes it nicely. It's not overdone. Zen Dac have too much boost which is not usable. I can left xbass on with Zen Can. It just works. If you want more like coloration type of boost instead of correction then Zen Dac does that. Micro BL probably similiar to Zen Dac.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #233 of 538
This is first experience with a headphone amp as previously I've used dac/amps. I know the Zen Can offers great quality and value, but for those that have tried or own higher end gear, can you please tell me what the differences are with a higher tier headphone amp?

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #234 of 538
You have to pay a lot more in order to get more body , greater slam and dynamics , better micro detail and greater extension to both ends.
Or if you want something with a flavor for example a tube amp or a hybrid or a slightly "colored" solid state amp.
The zen can for my ears is an astounding value.
95% of the users out there won't need anything else.
I just wish it has full xlr inputs instead of the 4.4mm.

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #235 of 538
You have to pay a lot more in order to get more body , greater slam and dynamics , better micro detail and greater extension to both ends.
Or if you want something with a flavor for example a tube amp or a hybrid or a slightly "colored" solid state amp.
The zen can for my ears is an astounding value.
95% of the users out there won't need anything else.
I just wish it has full xlr inputs instead of the 4.4mm.
Thanks for your reply.
The Zen Can is my first experience of amping - I am at a point where I am willing to pay to go to a higher tier since owning the MDR-Z1R.

I always use direct source and never touch EQ or any sound settings, but I have to say that XBass is a lot of fun with certain types of music.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #237 of 538
What is your source?
Some people think that the Sony dac/amp is the best match with the MDR-Z1R.
I am using a WM1A. The TA-ZH1ES would be ideal for synergy but it is a lot more than I can afford at the moment, even secondhand, and there wouldn't even be many in my country.
I will look into the NEO iDSD or the RME ADI-2.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #239 of 538
NEO iDSD looks very very promising.
I don't find the RME of my liking.
The RME gets great reviews, what do you not like about it?
I enjoyed the xDSD when I had it, the Burr Brown sounded very good so I am hoping the NEO will top that.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #240 of 538
I have used it about two years ago so I don't know if it was the current version or something older.
I didn't like the sound presentation as I found it clinical and mechanical without any engaging factor.
Sound was seriously lacking body and dynamics plus stage.
I tested it both with headphones and speakers and didn't like it.
It sounded - according to my subjective opinion - as a professional tool missing excitement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back