Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Nov 10, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #241 of 538
I have used it about two years ago so I don't know if it was the current version or something older.
I didn't like the sound presentation as I found it clinical and mechanical without any engaging factor.
Sound was seriously lacking body and dynamics plus stage.
I tested it both with headphones and speakers and didn't like it.
It sounded - according to my subjective opinion - as a professional tool missing excitement.
I have heard similar comments - good to hear your opinion.
I hope to try the NEO soon - good price

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #242 of 538
I have used it about two years ago so I don't know if it was the current version or something older.
I didn't like the sound presentation as I found it clinical and mechanical without any engaging factor.
Sound was seriously lacking body and dynamics plus stage.
I tested it both with headphones and speakers and didn't like it.
It sounded - according to my subjective opinion - as a professional tool missing excitement.
This reminds me THX 789 except THX have good soundstage. Did you tried Topping and Schiit amps ?

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #246 of 538
I got this Zen CAN for my previous Zen DAC as a stack. I love the sound.
Great that it has included official power supply but for the love of God @iFi audio please make 4.4mm pentaconn interconnects for your products. Sell them separately if you don't want to include them in the box. That glaring omission is baffling to me.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #247 of 538
4.4mm pentaconn interconnects for your products

1605844276761.png

Do you mean this bad boy? We do! Here's the link on our site and Amazon.​

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #249 of 538
Ugh £70 in UK at half of the price of entire ZEN DAC for a short piece of cable?
I'm sure it's great but at this price can't justify using it with budget ZEN line products.
Do you have plans for budget version?

Not at this time, no - we'll make it known if we have a budget version come out!

Any 4.4 to 4.4 should do if you're on the budget - totally understand!

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #250 of 538
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #251 of 538
You have to pay a lot more in order to get more body , greater slam and dynamics , better micro detail and greater extension to both ends.
Or if you want something with a flavor for example a tube amp or a hybrid or a slightly "colored" solid state amp.
The zen can for my ears is an astounding value.
95% of the users out there won't need anything else.
I just wish it has full xlr inputs instead of the 4.4mm.
In these lockdown times, then this really is the multi £££ or $$$ question! How much more? 50%? Double? several times over? Plus in order to get the best out of the IFI stack, you need to buy the PSUs, the interconnects; so suddenly it's a £500 headphone dac/amp.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #253 of 538
In these lockdown times, then this really is the multi £££ or $$$ question! How much more? 50%? Double? several times over? Plus in order to get the best out of the IFI stack, you need to buy the PSUs, the interconnects; so suddenly it's a £500 headphone dac/amp.

And that's why we leave these choices up to the buyer! It's entirely up to folks to decide how much extra they want to get as far as the PSUs, interconnects, etc.

We know times are hard for everyone :)

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #254 of 538
And that's why we leave these choices up to the buyer! It's entirely up to folks to decide how much extra they want to get as far as the PSUs, interconnects, etc.

We know times are hard for everyone :)
The lockdown issue is you can't go an audition stuff, and I'm not about to buy a ton of kit knowing I've got to return most of it. I get the modular thing, and it makes sense, as you can strip back to the absolute minimum.
I'd love to know how a fully loaded DAC+CAN compares to the dacmagic plus, then I've got a reference point! But then, at £500, you're not far off solid midrange gear, there's the venerable but beautiful Marantz HD DAC1 for that sort of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back