Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Dec 7, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #257 of 538
Has anyone used the Zen Can both as a headphone amp and a pre-amp for active speakers? If so, can anyone tell me if the rear 4.4mm output of the Zen Can is always active? Or is it switched off when a set of headphones is plugged in?

I'd like to know, because I found out that in a few weeks, some fat bloke with a beard is going to drop off a set of active monitors. And I want to know what additional stuff I'll need (if any) to make sure headphones and speakers won't play simultaneously.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #258 of 538
Has anyone used the Zen Can both as a headphone amp and a pre-amp for active speakers? If so, can anyone tell me if the rear 4.4mm output of the Zen Can is always active? Or is it switched off when a set of headphones is plugged in?

As I understand it they're always active and aren't volume controlled. I think it's because you're expected to turn on your speakers instead of switching the output. I guess that significantly simplifies the device.

I do use the balanced out on the Zen DAC to go to the Zen Can and that one is always engaged regardless of plugging anything into another port.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #259 of 538
As I understand it they're always active and aren't volume controlled. I think it's because you're expected to turn on your speakers instead of switching the output. I guess that significantly simplifies the device.

I do use the balanced out on the Zen DAC to go to the Zen Can and that one is always engaged regardless of plugging anything into another port.

Well, I couldn't stand not knowing. So I grabbed a pair of IEMs that I was willing to sacrifice, hooked up a balanced cable and plugged it in the back of the Zen Can (which is hooked up to a Zen DAC as well).

Conclusion: The rear 4.4mm output of the Zen Can *IS* volume controlled (so pretty much the same as the front 4.4mm output). This is what I'd expect when they market it as pre-amp instead of line out. But it stays active when headphones are plugged in.

So it looks like I'll be looking for a remote powerswitching solution that doesn't create noise etc.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #260 of 538
Well, I couldn't stand not knowing. So I grabbed a pair of IEMs that I was willing to sacrifice, hooked up a balanced cable and plugged it in the back of the Zen Can (which is hooked up to a Zen DAC as well).

Conclusion: The rear 4.4mm output of the Zen Can *IS* volume controlled (so pretty much the same as the front 4.4mm output). This is what I'd expect when they market it as pre-amp instead of line out. But it stays active when headphones are plugged in.

So it looks like I'll be looking for a remote powerswitching solution that doesn't create noise etc.

This is correct! There are no differences between the 4.4mm on the back and front, same concept, and the same function. It just depends on what your uses are!

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #261 of 538
Hi, already got mine, stacked with the zen blue via 4.4mm interconnect.

just some thoughts, if I wanted to hear through the SE, do I need to change to connection through RCA, or the 4.4mm is just fine?

EDIT: Happy Holidays, and Happy new year :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #262 of 538
Hi, already got mine, stacked with the zen blue via 4.4mm interconnect.

just some thoughts, if I wanted to hear through the SE, do I need to change to connection through RCA, or the 4.4mm is just fine?

EDIT: Happy Holidays, and Happy new year :)

That should be just fine :) I do the same.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #264 of 538
Yes, I think it feeds into one and the same circuit and uses the same amp before being converted into the outputs.

Of course, there are advantages to the balanced, but the single-ended performance is also stellar. I use the iFi 4.4mm interconnect but you can also use the interconnects supplied with the unit, those are also fine. In my experience, the unit works similarly.

Personally, I'd opt for getting a balanced headphone cable before a balanced interconnect since it will deliver just a bit more power and punch to your headphones. But I might be misguided in that.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #265 of 538
I had both the Zen DAC and Zen CAN ordered from Headphones.com a while back and never got around to unboxing them. Today I thought I'd mess around with them for a bit.

Wow, I hadn't expected how the Zen CAN with its Class A amp could make the Zen DAC sound so much better!

I brought out some of my phones that were close by (Abyss TCs, HEDDphones, Senns 660s, Sendy Aiva's and the Siva Phoenix) to do some testing.

As expected, the Abyss and HEDDs were driven loud but lost their dynamics, transients and sound-stage, however, the Sendy Aiva's loved the Zens!

The Zen CAN on the second gain made the Sendy's dance even on a single ended connection! With the the Bass & 3D switches pressed, it added another layer of enjoyment to the tracks listened through the Aivas.

Rumble effects came into the picture and the sound-stage which is small on the Sendy expanded in all directions! A definite golden combination.

I tried the headphones on the Zen DAC by itself and got the same results as above both with and without an iPower adapter. But when adding the Zen CAN the dynamics, bass, speed and sound-stage improvements were heard clearly. A definite must have. If you're looking at the Zen DAC by itself, save a little bit more and add this wonderful device to it, you'll definately won't regret it.

20201231_143516[1127].jpg

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #266 of 538
Yes, I think it feeds into one and the same circuit and uses the same amp before being converted into the outputs.

Of course, there are advantages to the balanced, but the single-ended performance is also stellar. I use the iFi 4.4mm interconnect but you can also use the interconnects supplied with the unit, those are also fine. In my experience, the unit works similarly.

Personally, I'd opt for getting a balanced headphone cable before a balanced interconnect since it will deliver just a bit more power and punch to your headphones. But I might be misguided in that.
Yes, I used a 2.5mm iem with 4.4mm converter, thats why after purchasing the stack, got an itch to order some 4.4mm interconnect.

so from what I understand is that, in the CAN, it only process the analog signal, and then pass it to the output, whether it is from the RCA, SE or BAL, CMIIW..

Right then, thank you very much, finally something been cleared

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #267 of 538
Received my Zen Can today (bundled with iPower and I added iFi Audio 4.4 interconnect - great item by the way) and I am so very happy with it :)

IMG_2332.JPG

This is one of the best value for money item I have purchased, I really appreciate the extra headroom and driving power over even a good well powered DAP... and the background is dead black, superb! My use case is a bit different than most as I mostly drive IEMs and don't own hard to drive headphones but let me tell you flagship IEMs do enjoy the extra headroom, especially those with EST drivers like Penon Volt or Dunu Luna full beryllium driver :heart_eyes:

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #268 of 538
Received my Zen Can today (bundled with iPower and I added iFi Audio 4.4 interconnect - great item by the way) and I am so very happy with it :)

IMG_2332.JPG

This is one of the best value for money item I have purchased, I really appreciate the extra headroom and driving power over even a good well powered DAP... and the background is dead black, superb! My use case is a bit different than most as I mostly drive IEMs and don't own hard to drive headphones but let me tell you flagship IEMs do enjoy the extra headroom, especially those with EST drivers like Penon Volt or Dunu Luna full beryllium driver :heart_eyes:

Thank you for the feedback, glad you're enjoying them! Very intrigued by Dunu's Zen and Luna myself.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #269 of 538
Thank you for the feedback, glad you're enjoying them! Very intrigued by Dunu's Zen and Luna myself.

Waiting on Dunu Zen which is on its way to me :)
I'll report on the pairing and will include the Zen Can in my reviews from now on as well!

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #270 of 538

IMG_2332.JPG

Niiice! mind to share the pict of the 4.4 Bal IC ? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back