Great Acoustic Albums
Feb 5, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #32 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a little OT but check out this cat: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

**** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!! THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING THAT LINK!!!!!!

That is such awesome stuff!!!!! I will do anything I can to get that CD!!!!

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #34 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XFxGeforced,

Checkout anything by Don Ross, in particular, Robot Monster.

Incredible guitar playing and the CD is masterful...

Cheers.

That is simply amazing. I checked out his website and I just loved the sample on the main page. I am very new to head-fi and all things hifi headphones. With that said, I feel like you almost have to relax your brain to hear all the aspects of this music. I've just received what I feel like is a great pair of cans (A900LTD w/ some mods) and it actually took me a moment to fully realize that it felt as if he was in the room with me, so much space around the music and so much sound coming from so many directions. Notes seem to fly from my left ear to my right ear with ease.

I'm just realizing this stuff, and figured I would comment on it as I'm kind of blown away by it all. I'm sure you all already realize this, but for a noob as they say.. it makes you feel sad for all the other people out there who dont receive music like this.

My girlfriend tried out these headphones today for the first time and besides my DT770/80's, she's not really heard any quality headphones, and in my opinion, these seem a few notches up from those. So she heard No Doubt - Running and was blown away that it was No Doubt. She couldnt believe she had not heard the music that way before and she realized... wow, artists put this stuff together hoping for people to experience it the way they experience it, but they hardly do. Maybe we're both taking it a little far(?), but it is kind of a shame that artists music aren't always received the way they are intend. Still I'm thankful to be able to hear it this way, and I'm sure there are better cans out there, but this is all a gradual thing for me.

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #36 of 89
Absolute must have for any lover of acoustic rock:
"From The Ground Up" by Collective Soul.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #37 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michael Hedges. Especially check out "Aerial Boundaries". "Oracle" is also good, with an especially full, rich sound. "Beyond Boundaries-Guitar Solos" is a good introduction to his work, and has two of his harp guitar compositions ("Because it's There" and "Double Planet"). His harp guitar stuff is pretty amazing, especially if you ever saw him play.

You'll likely find his works in the New Age section, (Windham Hill) but don't let that fool you. MH was one of the most influential finger-style guitarists of his generation. Well worth a listen.

1000X Thank you. I picked up the "Aerial Boundaries" album strictly by your recommendation, and it's one of the greatest acoustic albums I've ever heard. The sound is so rich and clear, it's as if your ear were right next to the soundhole of a big-body acoustic, being played by a master. I've shown this album to a few friends in the past day, and they have already went out and got his albums. Thanks again, recommendation of the year. Cheers

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #38 of 89
"Friday Night In San Fransisco"

A great jazz trio with Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #40 of 89
I am also in love with the MH recommendations above, but I would not recomend a lot of the other stuff he did. He's a terrible singer and ruins some of the other albums by opening his mouth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1000X Thank you. I picked up the "Aerial Boundaries" album strictly by your recommendation, and it's one of the greatest acoustic albums I've ever heard. The sound is so rich and clear, it's as if your ear were right next to the soundhole of a big-body acoustic, being played by a master. I've shown this album to a few friends in the past day, and they have already went out and got his albums. Thanks again, recommendation of the year. Cheers

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #41 of 89
Personally, some of the best acoustic guitar I've heard is on Bruce C0ckburn's "Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws." Particularly the 3rd song, Badlands Flashback. It's such a good song anyway that you only realize halfway through that he's laying down some killer guitar work. This may not be a popular statement, but I think when taking into account ability and compositional strength, Bruce C0ckburn is one of the best guitar players out there.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #42 of 89
Of the "normally plays electric, playing acoustic" flavor is Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam. Better than any of their other albums IMO. One of my favorite live (rock) albums as well.

Ant

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by b17m4p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also in love with the MH recommendations above, but I would not recomend a lot of the other stuff he did. He's a terrible singer and ruins some of the other albums by opening his mouth.

I would tend to mostly agree with that sentiment, which is why I recommended those albums. I do enjoy many of his cover versions of songs, though. And I also like his live album, "Live on the Double Planet".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back