Great Acoustic Albums
Jan 9, 2007 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

XFxGeforced

100+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to acoustic guitar albums, like Tommy Emmanuel's "Endless Road", and a few songs from YES, and I wanted to hear some more from other artists. I've been mainly drawn to this music because of the details you can pick up from the acoustic playing, which seem more-so than anything electric, and anyway, it's really easy listening, and you can just kinda kick back with it and take a nap
tongue.gif
Any suggestions? acoustic albums from bands that normally don't play acoustic are also welcome, I'm like the Alice in chains acoustic album.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to acoustic guitar albums, like Tommy Emmanuel's "Endless Road", and a few songs from YES, and I wanted to hear some more from other artists. I've been mainly drawn to this music because of the details you can pick up from the acoustic playing, which seem more-so than anything electric, and anyway, it's really easy listening, and you can just kinda kick back with it and take a nap
tongue.gif
Any suggestions? acoustic albums from bands that normally don't play acoustic are also welcome, I'm like the Alice in chains acoustic album.

XFxGeforced,

Checkout anything by Don Ross, in particular, Robot Monster.

Incredible guitar playing and the CD is masterful...

Cheers.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 89
Quote:

Thanks, im going to go buy some cd's this weekend, so I'll pick it up!

Check out his website if time permits. There is an embedded example of his guitar playing there :)

Cheers.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out his website if time permits. There is an embedded example of his guitar playing there :)

Cheers.

listening, sound great! I'll make sure to pick this one up, and from the pictures, he looks like a real musician!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
elliott smith is really great

check out either/or, its one of the best albums i've heard

ill check it out on amazon

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 89
Quote:

tongue.gif

If you want to hear something a little less conventional, try any of the 1960's/early 70's albums by John Fahey. He is defined as a folk guitarist, but he was much more than. He used experimental tunings, and was influenced by Indian raga music. He is cited as a major influence of many of the new acoustic indie musicians, like Ben Chasny.

Across the Atlantic, the British guitarist Roy Harper is also worth a listen. Jimmy Page, of course, admired him.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 89
Michael Hedges. Especially check out "Aerial Boundaries". "Oracle" is also good, with an especially full, rich sound. "Beyond Boundaries-Guitar Solos" is a good introduction to his work, and has two of his harp guitar compositions ("Because it's There" and "Double Planet"). His harp guitar stuff is pretty amazing, especially if you ever saw him play.

You'll likely find his works in the New Age section, (Windham Hill) but don't let that fool you. MH was one of the most influential finger-style guitarists of his generation. Well worth a listen.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 89
Ralph Towner, Diary [very laid back jazz; some piano but mainly guitar]
John Zorn, Masada Guitars [credited to Zorn but actually performed by three solo guitarists ... great SQ with some really close mic'ing]
Andres Segovia, The Segovia Collection [mainly classical guitar and repertoire]
Nick Harper, Double Life [Best solo acoustic guitar 'n' vocal live album I've ever heard ... prepare to be amazed.]

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 89
Thanks for all the responses, ill try and sample all of them on amazon, except dashboard, im not into dashboard really :-\

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
elliott smith is really great

check out either/or, its one of the best albums i've heard

oh forgot to say, check out the song angeles, crazy fingerpicking melodies

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One that I discovered on here is Nils Lofgren - 'Acoustic Live'. One of the best sounding recordings I've ever heard.

Took a quick listen to Acoustic Live on Amazon, love it but used price is $60

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 89
Madredeus - O Paraiso
Of The Wand and the Moon - Nighttime Nightrhymes
Tenhi - Maaäet
October Falls - Marras (Eight Hymns for Sheol and Nature)

This might not exactly be what you're looking for actually, but hey, you might thank me for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back