Great Acoustic Albums
Jul 10, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like fast beat accoustic guitar: Rodrigo y Gabriela is highly recommended. makes you tap your feet straight away.

I have to vouch for this too. These guys are just incredible
600smile.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Celtic music on acoustic guitar, I strongly recommend Tony McManus from Scotland -- wonderful musical sense. Another Celtic guitarist that I enjoy a lot is Ian Melrose.

David Russell is mainly a classical guitarist, but he ventures into Celtic and Spanish folk music from time to time.

Seamus Egan, the frontman of the band Solas, is an extremely versatile multi-instrumentalist. You can here some astounding guitar and banjo picks on his solo album When Juniper Sleeps

David Russell is a genius Classical guitar player and his Tone production is beyond so many others.And Aire Latino is a very good start to listen to him!

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No classical fans here? Thats about as acoustic as it gets.

Or course there is.Yes It counts achoustic too and My recommendation for the others is Spanish gutar Cd played Julian Bream firstly,If its liked I do so many others gladly...

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #85 of 89
Bumping an old thread that I've been turning to --

I've been listening to Bela Fleck's new one, Throw Down Your Heart: Africa Sessions (Tales from the Acoustic Planet vol. 3). I think it's the acoustic Graceland. Excellent stuff.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardbop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For acoustic guitar only, Phil Keaggy's Acoustic Sketches and Leo Kottke's One Guitar, No Vocals are both worth a listen.

Gotta second the Phil Keaggy suggestion. It's even more incredible when you realize the man is missing his right middle finger.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #89 of 89
I have Keren Ann's "Nolita". It didn't inspire me much. Would you recommend any of her other albums to start off with?

The first 4 Indigo Girls acoustic albums are still mind-blowing for me: their acoustic guitar work - well there's nothing quite like it. Emily Saliers plays subtle and intricate; Amy Ray thrashes and the resulting mess is really rather addictive!
smily_headphones1.gif

Bruce Cockburn's Salt, Sun & Time is one of my favourites, along with "Nothing but a Burning Light". I'm afraid I'm not a wholesale Bruce fan, and the last few albums I brought from him, including the Charity of the Night, just had him preaching like a nervous thesaurus on the brink of verbal diarrhoea. "Life's short call now" was even worse with drum beats and less of the sparse and beautiful Cockburn acoustic guitar work. During his T-Bone Burnett produced albums, his vocals reached a new expression which I really love. That seems to have gone, although his new live album is real climax of a recommendation with none of these reservations....

Susan Crowe's "Pilgrims' Mirror'" is a gorgeous acoustic affair, as is Erica Wheeler's "Three Wishes". We don't see very many skilled female acoustic singer-songwriters play guitar quite like they do.

One of the most surprising and best acoustic albums I discovered period, was Gary Newby's "Gentle Sounds" where he revisits his alternative band, The Railway Children's back catalogue and re-expresses himself with his Smiths'esque guitar work and handsome voice. It's a real gem of an album, sadly very difficult to locate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back