Great Acoustic Albums
Jun 22, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #61 of 89
Jose Gonzalez - Veneer is a great album if you get a chance to check it out.

Almost anything by Iron and Wine (although I have a sweet spot for Our Endless Numbered Days) Horse Feathers - Words Are Dead

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #62 of 89
Acoustic Storm - recorded by Sheffield Labs
Luka Bloom
Alison Krauss, any of her albums

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #63 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like fast beat accoustic guitar: Rodrigo y Gabriela is highly recommended. makes you tap your feet straight away.

I'm sold.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #64 of 89
If you like Celtic music on acoustic guitar, I strongly recommend Tony McManus from Scotland -- wonderful musical sense. Another Celtic guitarist that I enjoy a lot is Ian Melrose.

David Russell is mainly a classical guitarist, but he ventures into Celtic and Spanish folk music from time to time.

Seamus Egan, the frontman of the band Solas, is an extremely versatile multi-instrumentalist. You can here some astounding guitar and banjo picks on his solo album When Juniper Sleeps

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #66 of 89
Days of the New and Marcy's Playground are probably my absolute favorite acoustic artists....does anyone know of anyother bands that are similar to the two? I LOVE acoustic stuff with my cans....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsJee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't seen John Butler play ocean before on his 12 string (11 is more exact)... you gotta check it out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0

i can't get enough
eggosmile.gif
especially when it gets to 4:03

Yes! I have that DVD. John Butler Trio are awesome, although I don't really like they're latest CD as much as sunrise over the sea.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! I have that DVD. John Butler Trio are awesome, although I don't really like they're latest CD as much as sunrise over the sea.

I just ordered the album that comes with the dvd (live at St. Gallen).It's gonna take about 1-2 weeks to get to me... grrr
mad.gif
. And i agree, i like Sunrise over sea better than Grand National, but i think Grand National is good too although I think it grew on me after listening to the album on repeat for a couple days haha.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #70 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsJee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the album that comes with the dvd (live at St. Gallen).It's gonna take about 1-2 weeks to get to me... grrr
mad.gif
. And i agree, i like Sunrise over sea better than Grand National, but i think Grand National is good too although I think it grew on me after listening to the album on repeat for a couple days haha.
eggosmile.gif

Yeah I got live at St.Gallen from the Library and ripped the CD and DVD, so I don't really have it... But still :p. It's really really good. Also, the JBT didn't know the CD was being recorded so they're not trying extra or anything, just playing to the people.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #71 of 89
Haven't heard anyone play a 12 string that well in a long while.

This thread definitely delivers.

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #74 of 89
Check out Kieran Murphy. Another Aussie picker, who is currently appearing with Tommy Emmanuel. A friend of mine saw the show, and bought his CD - recorded im May 2007. (Title is "Per Se"). Only 19 years old, but he can definitely play.

I'ts giving my AKG K271s a workout as I type...

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #75 of 89
Great thread — I now have a long to-buy list.

Here are some (mostly) acoustic artists/albums I’ve been listening to recently. (Note that I have a preference for intimate, forward-sounding vocals.)
Alexi Murdoch

Ray LaMontagne

Beck -- "Sea Change"

Angelo Badalamenti -- "The Straight Story"

Dolorean (not quite audiophile quality, but an underappreciated group -- think Springsteen's Nebraska)

Keren Ann (Mix of French and English vocals)

Azure Ray (not always acoustic but generally well recorded with quiet, sultry harmonies)

I also second the recommendation of Iron & Wine.
I’d give recommendations for acoustic jazz, but it’s hard to know where to start because that describes most of my collection. For top-notch recording quality (beautiful layering of sounds), ECM recordings are a great place to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back