Gran Turismo 4 - wOOt!!
Mar 1, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #61 of 175
I just read that GT5 will have damage modeling! Sign me up!

Even GT2 had some damage modeling, though it strictly affected performance and not the looks of your car. I have no idea why it was taken away in GT3 and GT4. With all the time and effort they spent on modeling the different cars and making each track true to life, WHY THE OMISSION OF DAMAGE? It's so...NOT true to life. Oh well, it's still a great game as long as you don't hit any other cars or walls.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #62 of 175
I was not aware GT2 had a damage model. I do not think any GT has ever had a damage model.

The Option Z is not as good as the 350Z LM IMO. The brakes are not as responsive and the suspension doesn't seem as good either. It is 700+hp, but it is not a race car. I sold mine.

Have you tried the Special Condition Races yet? You can get some nice cars and they are not that difficult. I had problems with the Grand Canyon Rally, even with a Toyota Raid Rally Car. It seems a lot harder to get traction in GT4, which if probably more realistic.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #63 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
I was not aware GT2 had a damage model. I do not think any GT has ever had a damage model.

As I said, it was harder to tell in GT2 since the cars weren't visibly damaged.

Per IGN:

"To throw in another couple of concerns there's still no ability to use a car from your garage in the arcade mode. If you've unlocked a car, then it's available from the car list for the arcade mode, but all of the tweaks and upgrades will be missing from it. There is also no damage to the cars. GT2 had suspension damage that affected the steering, but that was gone in GT3 and again in GT4."

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #64 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01

The Option Z is not as good as the 350Z LM IMO. The brakes are not as responsive and the suspension doesn't seem as good either. It is 700+hp, but it is not a race car. I sold mine.

Have you tried the Special Condition Races yet? You can get some nice cars and they are not that difficult. I had problems with the Grand Canyon Rally, even with a Toyota Raid Rally Car. It seems a lot harder to get traction in GT4, which if probably more realistic.

Are there any cars nicer than the 350Z?
Honestly it has almost everything I want in the car.
Quick acceleration, grippy breaks, turns on rails
Maybe a bit more top end spirit

but honestly is there anything better?

and I'll try some of those special condition races tommorow, lets see how they go

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #65 of 175
If I remember right, you had to enable Damage in Gran turismo 2, and the standard option was to have no damage.

The braking seems to be much more important in GT4 than ever before I've noticed, and I like it. Racing brakes are a must have for almost every car.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #66 of 175
this logitech driving force pro is freaking amazing...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Tho 900deg rotation is overkill, the fact that you can turn the wheel beyond the usual 200deg or sumtin changes the game completely. Now i need me a bucket seat...hell, a 4pt harness seatbelt too. I picked both of these up with the combo deal outpost.com had, $149.98 for the wheel + game...then shipping. Also now logitech has a 20$ mail in rebate when you buy both of them. So ~$130 for 'the drive of your life'? totally worth it.
wink.gif

As for the game, I love it...besides the fact that it saves everytime you switch cars...so no more 'trial' purchases. This physics changes have been noticeable to me, braking especially. Powerslides seem to come out a bit easier too....or maybe it's cuz of the wheel?

The more I play this game the more I want a Lotus Elise & NSX Type-R.
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #67 of 175
I never picked the option to have damage in GT2, which is probably why I did not know it existed.

The licenses are easy, especially the pace car laps. I was dreading doing Nurbergring, because it is so long, and I knew I would make 1 mistake at the end and have to do it again, but I got my bronze on the first try. I only got 1 silver and I think it was on a pace lap lesson.

I think the traction control is more noticable on this version, because even the mid-engine cars don't do 180's on corners. I may have to try the Lotus'. In previous versions, I could not keep from driving them sideways.

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #68 of 175
For a REALLY HAIRY experience try this :-

* Turn off all driver assists
* Select time-trial
* Select Nurburgring
* Select AC Cobra or Shelby Cobra
* Have fun...

This is one heck of a lairy drive...You will be ALL OVER THE PLACE with the controller and it is fun. The physics is MUCH better than the previous versions and momentum really plays an important role. If you get too much rear end momentum on a straight (because of the digital nature of the controller - you dont steer - you flick the car left and right which is not good) and have a easy corner followed by a straight - then you will ON THE EDGE or over the edge on the turn and after it...

FUN!!

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #69 of 175
What are you guys securing your wheels to? I didn't like the original Logitech force feedback wheel for GT3 because it shook all over the place while i tried to keep it seated in my lap, and i didn't like that it wasn't attached to anything.

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #70 of 175
radical, yes of course there are better cars... Go do the Gran Turismo grand championship under Professional mode and you'll see. And that's not even extreme yet. Also, the Option Z is not nearly as good as the other one because it comes stock with sports tires, not racing tires. I haven't tried racing tires on it, but I tried sports tires on the other Z car, and it drove similarily. Not worth selling IMO.

Oh, and speaking of better, the Nissan Motul Pitwork Z is better, for one. I know first hand cause I just compared the two.

Anyone know the best way to get a good car to beat the Gran Turismo grand championship under professional mode? I'm using the Nissan Motul Pitwork Z with turbo 4 on it, and it's just barely able to keep up with the others, but loses ground on the stretches. If I really push it, I can make it into first, but if I make a tiny mistake then I lose pretty much. The car isn't quite doing it. Any ideas?

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #71 of 175
ARGGHHGHHG! I HATE HATE HATE stupid license tests where you follow around the dumb car. After passing it or hitting it time and time again I just want to break something!! I mean who needs the lead car, just get it out of the way. Ugh, as if licence tests weren't bad enough. I mean there's nothing like shaving off a few seconds on your lap time only to fly past the stupid car as it goes 2mph around a turn and FAIL to the twix music. How LAME.

....Ahh that rant felt really good
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #72 of 175
Lol, I can empathize, sort of. I got insanely mad when I was doing the tests for GT3. But I've gotten pretty good now and the ones in GT4 weren't too bad. The pace car ones are the easiest I thought. Just remember where it slows down a lot and brake early if you can afford to lose a little time.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #73 of 175
I don't remember the GT3 license tests being this annoying, the super license was a challenge to obtain but it wasn't caused by AI faltering and causing you to brake and lose that second keeping you from the next highest medal.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #74 of 175
Yeah, the License tests in GT4 are definitely more annoying. I gave up on the "All Gold on B License" idea because of those stupid lap tests, and settled for a silver instead. I want to do the same for A, but A-10 (the Honda Integra Type-R on Suzuka) is pissing me off to no end. Yet some of the other A License tests were very easy. The one with the Elise I managed to get a gold on my very first try, when instead of following the suggested line, the car just kinda slid between the turns...

I really need the DFP. At the very least, it'd make launches easier - modulating the throttle using the DS2 is just annoying.

~KS

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #75 of 175
Well I found all the GT4 tests to be much easier. Even after having beaten GT3 once and re-doing the entire thing, I found GT3 to be insanely harder as far as license tests. Especially the last license on the super test! Oh that pissed me off. But GT4 was a breeze. Honestly, I thought the pace car ones were super easy. I beat most the pace car ones on my first try.

Anyway, I tried B-spec mode. It's completely useless! What's the point of having the computer drive for you? How fun is that? Unless you completely lack skill, I don't see any need for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back