Grados Questions
Dec 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AjRocha

Head-Fier
Alright, I'm conflicted about which Grados pair of headphones to get. I have only around 150 to spend and I want to upgrade the headphones to over the ear with the G cushions shortly after I get them. All I'm concerned about is, do the SR80i's lose sound quality with then on because I've read they make them sound bad? Also are the SR125i's any better and do they lose sound quality with the switch to G cushions?
Thank you very much.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 15
You don't want to put the G Cushions on any Prestige (SR) model Grado headphone - it does bad things across the line. The SR-80 or SR-225 is where I'd point you within your budget; if you can't live with the comfies or bowls, Grados are not for you. Try Koss instead if that's the case. :)

Koss's look really nasty IMO. I think I might consider on holding out for the Grados 325i's because they are over the ear I believe

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 15
Koss's look really nasty IMO. I think I might consider on holding out for the Grados 325i's because they are over the ear I believe

SR-325is are on-ear as well. The only over-ear Grados are the GS-1000i and PS-1000. Every other model uses either bowls or comfies (optionally flats). Comfies will mangle the top-end (even on the models that come with them), and bagels will suck out the mids. If the fit doesn't work for you, they're not a good match. That said, have you tried them out yet? Or are you just basing all of this on conjecture?

The Koss DJ100 is a nice alternative to the SR-60, is full-size, and would probably be a better match if comfort is a concern. Doesn't sound quite the same, but it's fairly forward, mid-centric, intimate, etc.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 15
SR-325is are on-ear as well. The only over-ear Grados are the GS-1000i and PS-1000. Every other model uses either bowls or comfies (optionally flats). Comfies will mangle the top-end (even on the models that come with them), and bagels will suck out the mids. If the fit doesn't work for you, they're not a good match. That said, have you tried them out yet? Or are you just basing all of this on conjecture?
The Koss DJ100 is a nice alternative to the SR-60, is full-size, and would probably be a better match if comfort is a concern. Doesn't sound quite the same, but it's fairly forward, mid-centric, intimate, etc.

I have no way to test any of these headphones because no body in my school or town have anything but beats and skullcandys and I'm almost considering beats just to finally get a pair of headphones because this is really frustrating.

I want headphones that are GOOD FOR METAL and can also do good for other genres for around 150 and they must go around my ears.

Also are these any good? ULTRASONE HFI-2400

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 15
I have no way to test any of these headphones because no body in my school or town have anything but beats and skullcandys and I'm almost considering beats just to finally get a pair of headphones because this is really frustrating.
I want headphones that are GOOD FOR METAL and can also do good for other genres for around 150 and they must go around my ears.
Also are these any good? ULTRASONE HFI-2400

Do these headphones need to isolate or contain their music? I ask because you mention "school." :)

That said, the HFI-2400 are very good, yes. Compared to the Grados they're a different beast - darker, bassier, more spacious sounding. But like the Grados - completely open. Makes them a no-no for use on trains, planes, and automobiles, as well as places like libraries (they leak too much noise in and out).

For what you're describing, the DJ100 are a good choice honestly (and they look pretty stylish IMO - black aluminum and silver accents - if it does anything for you, there's also a commemorative edition that celebrates Tony Bennett), so are the SR-80, and so are the HFI-2400 (although I like the HFI-2400 better for grunge (if there's a headphone that fits grunge as a genre, the HFI-2400 are as close as I've ever found)).

When it comes to the Beats, the only ones around $150 that I'm aware of the on-ear model, and they sound hideous (it sounds like you're listening through a woofer with no LPF); nothing I'd want to listen to guitars and wailing on. I have less of an opinion about SkullCandy - I (unfortunately) have experienced most of their original headphones, but that is apparently a bad reference compared to some of their newer models.

I'm guessing within your price range, some of the closed Ultrasone models would be suggestable, but I haven't heard any of the modern ones (like the HFI-780 for example); just based on the brand's reputation and what I have owned from them, I'd say give'em a look, look for reviews, that sort of thing. There's also the Ultrasone Fan Club thread that you could ask in - I'm sure someone there will be able to better guide you regarding the newer closed models.

As far as the lack of testing - I'd say go with Amazon.com if you can; their return policy is bulletproof, and you should have no issues sending back a pair of cans if you're unhappy.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Just because someone else dosnt like (G) cushions on any SR models is their opinion it dosnt mean you will not like them. I never tried them on my MS2i's but i'm still going to buy them, I may love them. Every pad is going to give or take in one way or another. If sound quality is most important. Grado SR80i.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Just because someone else dosnt like (G) cushions on any SR models is their opinion it dosnt mean you will not like them. I never tried them on my MS2i's but i'm still going to buy them, I may love them. Every pad is going to give or take in one way or another. If sound quality is most important. Grado SR80i.

Yeah sure, try out all the pads and see what you like.  But enough people say that G cush sounds plain bad on SR-series grado (myself included) that I would be wary of suggesting anyone fork out for a pair of them under the impression they are unwearable with anything but that pad...

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Do these headphones need to isolate or contain their music? I ask because you mention "school." :)
That said, the HFI-2400 are very good, yes. Compared to the Grados they're a different beast - darker, bassier, more spacious sounding. But like the Grados - completely open. Makes them a no-no for use on trains, planes, and automobiles, as well as places like libraries (they leak too much noise in and out).
For what you're describing, the DJ100 are a good choice honestly (and they look pretty stylish IMO - black aluminum and silver accents - if it does anything for you, there's also a commemorative edition that celebrates Tony Bennett), so are the SR-80, and so are the HFI-2400 (although I like the HFI-2400 better for grunge (if there's a headphone that fits grunge as a genre, the HFI-2400 are as close as I've ever found)).
When it comes to the Beats, the only ones around $150 that I'm aware of the on-ear model, and they sound hideous (it sounds like you're listening through a woofer with no LPF); nothing I'd want to listen to guitars and wailing on. I have less of an opinion about SkullCandy - I (unfortunately) have experienced most of their original headphones, but that is apparently a bad reference compared to some of their newer models.
I'm guessing within your price range, some of the closed Ultrasone models would be suggestable, but I haven't heard any of the modern ones (like the HFI-780 for example); just based on the brand's reputation and what I have owned from them, I'd say give'em a look, look for reviews, that sort of thing. There's also the Ultrasone Fan Club thread that you could ask in - I'm sure someone there will be able to better guide you regarding the newer closed models.
As far as the lack of testing - I'd say go with Amazon.com if you can; their return policy is bulletproof, and you should have no issues sending back a pair of cans if you're unhappy.

I don't care if the headphones leak any noise, I just don't want to hear the outside world at halfway volume or if I'm at school, full volume. I mean I know so many people talk down about Beats on this page but I'm not like an expert when it comes to music and the studio and pro beats sound good to me, but apparently there's something much better for cheaper and I kinda just want to start enjoying my music and quit using earbuds.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 15
grado's actually spit more sound out the back (a little more) than into your ears if you use the default pads just to let you know (forgot which earpad its called)
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 15
G-Cush for me on my 325is.  That's just how I roll.  Alternately, DT880 can work.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
G-Cush for me on my 325is.  That's just how I roll.  Alternately, DT880 can work.

Hi, I own MS2i's and use the stock (L) cushions. In the future I would like to try the (G) cushion, maybe you can give me some insight on how they sound? I would like if you can describe the sound/comfort differences between these two cushion's in your opinion. Thank's.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

The G-cushion can be use on the 325 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back