Grado Vixen
Mar 6, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 62
Those Vixens look interesting, confort has always been an issue for me with Grados, but seriously, 400$ minimum for the no sot good looking model ? Come on Larry...
One thing that is still unacceptable also is that Larry keeps all the parts of the Grado you send him, even if it's a wooden Grado. I have a beautiful dark brown vintage mspro, I think I could consider buying a vixen, but there's absolutely no way that Larry gets to keep the cups without at least reducing the price of the Vixen. What happens if you send a hp1000 ?

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 62
Yep, BushGuy -- recent developments have made me batten down the hatches for a rough voyage, too -- I hope we don't actually sink beneath the waves....

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it does? I'm not really into the technical parts of headphones... but explain please

The driver in a closed headphone is designed to sound good in a closed headphone, while a driver in a open headphone os designed to sound good in a open headphone. In a closed headphone one have to consider the sounds the shell will reflect back to the ear. If you have a open headphone, try to close up the opening with something. Whatever you choose, unless it is completely transparent, it will reflect sound. You can even find owners of the lower grados here that complain about that the plastic grille is no good, and replaces it a metal one. If that affects the sound, how wouldn't a solid wooden shell do it?

If these Vixens really are completely open it is a whole other deal. But still, I fear they will drown in bass, especially if they were to come with leather earpads.
If you want the grado sound, buy a grado. That's what I say at least.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver in a closed headphone is designed to sound good in a closed headphone, while a driver in a open headphone os designed to sound good in a open headphone. In a closed headphone one have to consider the sounds the shell will reflect back to the ear. If you have a open headphone, try to close up the opening with something. Whatever you choose, unless it is completely transparent, it will reflect sound. You can even find owners of the lower grados here that complain about that the plastic grille is no good, and replaces it a metal one. If that affects the sound, how wouldn't a solid wooden shell do it?

If these Vixens really are completely open it is a whole other deal. But still, I fear they will drown in bass, especially if they were to come with leather earpads.
If you want the grado sound, buy a grado. That's what I say at least.

Perhaps, you are assuming that Larry at Headphile hs not tried one of his own creations?
He already says they sound very good, and he sure as heck is an expert -- his reputation rides with every can he sells, and he knows it.
Give the guy credit. I'm sure your fears are unfounded.
And, lastly -- consider that some Grado users actually tape their earpads, in order to create more bass -- sort of simulating leather earpads.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, grado sound with comfort and proper build quality. Definitely something I'm interested in.

This is exactly the rational for my previous post about Vixens. I like Grado sound, but not much else.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 62
Limpidglitch - It's not germain if YOU haven't even heard the 'phones. You are in the realm of I suppose... I think....I doubt......and really know nothing about the devices under consideration. Such discussions are about nothing (like the old Seinfeld Show) and have to be dismissed.
OTOH I have a pair of HP-2, Vintage RS-1, and what can be referred to as "semi-vintage" RS-1. I'm also have the habit of referring to my Headphile Terminators as my "closed Grado's" because of their presentation and quality..........IOW it doesn't have BE a Grado in order to be a very good alternative or Grado-like. What is under consideration is a product that will (or not) stand on its' own qualities and merely utilizes a Grado component. Having purchased some 'phones from Larry (Headphile) I know he listens very carefully to what he creates - and he has created some good stuff. Now, when you actually invest in a pair and post a review based on real experience, then you MAY have something worthwhile to say. In the meantime .............................................I lose my patience.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #23 of 62
Again, I'm not saying they won't sound any good, and yes, it's only speculations from my side, I do not possess the truth.
They might also preserve much of the grado sound, But they will also undoubtedly change some of it.
I think it's almost impossible to do such a major improvement in comfort without changing the sound characteristics at least a little, and my guess is that the change will be towards a more fleshy bottom end.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 62

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 62
It would be nice if he would just sell everything without the drivers installed. I would be willing to buy a new 'frame' for my 325is drivers, if I could just remove them from the metal cups and put them in the new headset (keeping the stock plastic shells and cable completely assembled). that would be great, and I could switch back and forth when ever I wanted.

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #26 of 62
oh yeah. thanks limpidglitch, I actually started thinking about it when I answered like that. kind of stupid of me really.
smily_headphones1.gif

but I was kind of worried that they might become too bassy, which I don't really like. haven't listened to the sr325i but the 225i sound great without any mods. although I don't like the pads or the cable that comes with them.
would it be hard to change the cable and pads for a complete beginner? on the 325i's. and what kind of pads should I have if I don't want to change the sound too much? or, not add toooo much bass like those leatherpads that were mentioned. I don't want those yellow senn pads either, they're just hideous :p

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #27 of 62
I want a review of them too!
I haven't listened to Grado's yet, so I know nothing about the sound, but they sure look great! I was considering Darth's for a while, but now these show up and mess everything up.
ph34r.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #29 of 62
saw these a while back iirc. Cant say I look forward to the large clamp force if its using a pro headband - but removign the beyer padding thats buttoned around it reduces the force quite nicely.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 62
hmm, I was actually discussing with a friend if I get these, I would remove the leather part of the headband and put somehting more like in the sennheiser phones, it's much more comfortable in my opinion. (have tried the DT770)

it shouldn't be that hard I suppose?

but really really want a review or a word from someone who might know mr headphile or even himself, about them. I NEEEEEEEEED new headphones, 8 weeks buildtime is a lot so I want to order nooooooooow if I want to get these.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back