Grado Vixen
Nov 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #46 of 62
Larry does amazing work. I bought a similar pair of phones back in the day, a pair of HP3000- that is- a Sony CD3000 with grado HP1000 drivers. They were simply stunning, a real work of art as far as the build quality and what was clearly a lot of craft and thought that went into the sound. They had such a unique and beautiful tone- better than any phone i've heard to date, and soundstage that is only beaten by the likes of the HD800.

As for this model, who knows what it will sound like. But there is a lot more to the sound than the material of the pads. There is a lot more space between the drivers and the ear with this mod, so take that into account when considering bass. More space= more air to push, which usually means less bass. But a better seal = more bass. A lot of factors here...

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry has built/sold three pairs up to now - drivers have been 325i, RS-2, and RS-1. I doubt they went to Head-Fiers as I'd expect the owners would have posted their new 'phones on these pages.
He is currently working on a pair for me which are being built from a pair of HF-2.

I'm VERY curious to see how you like 'em! I adore my HF-2s and I don't think I'd ever mod them in any way. But these Headphile cans look absolutely stunning!

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #49 of 62
I did a minor post re these on the "Darth Pics" thread after having received my Vixen HF2 and run them only the first few hours (had sent him pair with NO usage to mod.) - insufficient at that time for any sort of review........promised one after 150 hours of burn-in. Also put up Larry pics of them there (and Larry now has them on his Vixen page [bottom left pair]). They are Waterfall Bubinga and BlackCopper cabling.
Well, they're some hours past the 150hours and I can say if you like your stock HF2 (which I do/did) you'll be overwhelmed by the difference with Vixen.
However, still not doing a review because I decided to see what they're like with BlackMax cabling - so ordering this week, another pair to be done (Black Palm wood, and BlackMax). I can state, however, that there two huge changes IMO - whereas I'd call the stock bass as adequate with bowls - there is now more, and the "soundstage" has gotten very large. I put on RS-1/flats last night as part of another kind of comparison and found if you A/B the two 'phones - it makes the stage of the RS-1 seem shockingly tiny. But, no, I'm still going to retain my RS-1 ........there is always room for RS-1, Vixen, and X-Deep 600ohm Darths
smily_headphones1.gif
. Will say, as daily choices I'm seeing - when closed is needed = X-Deep 600ohm, otherwise Vixen HF2 as the choice for open. Yeah, I like them - but, no real review until the Blk Palm/BlkMax pair get a decent listening (but, the HF-2 sent for "destruction" have burned-in drivers).

edit: When I saw this thread with current post - didn't look past the last 2 posts. My bad. So, will mention a couple of other items. Larry figured out how to mount the drivers very close to the ear, and I like to wear them with a loose seal (as I also do with Darths). Also went a step further toward opening things up by piercing the velour pads with a leather awl all around - don't know if it made any real difference, but it can't hurt.
Would have luved do it with Joe's drivers, but since they're getting scarce - opted not to take that route for the future preservation of HP1000's. But, such a pair would be truly special. Larry, however has a tendency for preferring closed versions and personally prefers the v.2 closed version of the CD3000 's he built. Both ideas have to be classified as winners.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MrGreen - you didn't hear mine, and it is the only pair, to date, utilizing HF2 drivers........so, how did you hear them, enabling you to form an opinion. Did you make an after-midnight visit to Larrys' workshop after closing and sneak a listen to mine before they shipped. Pls be honest - is that what your did?

I've read another thread on Head Fi where, after considerable forebearance, the other posters were forced to call you out as a troll. Yes, a simple troll.

A local guy has a pair.
He himself says they are too bassy. They are SR225

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #56 of 62
There is only the one pair built with 225's - and doing it with 225's makes little or no sense to me. Others have been built with RS-1, and RS-2 drivers. However, your comments re headphones using other drivers is pointless and inappropriate. A mea culpa is due from you.

Larry is not supplying anything less than 325's now.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #58 of 62
Sorry for bringing up a 2 month old thread! Can anyone else share if there is a marked improvement (i.e sound-staging, detail) after "vixening" their Grados.

Does it really get to bassy as well?

Am thinking of pulling the plug on these with the 325is!

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by crumpler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for bringing up a 2 month old thread! Can anyone else share if there is a marked improvement (i.e sound-staging, detail) after "vixening" their Grados.

Does it really get to bassy as well?

Am thinking of pulling the plug on these with the 325is!

If you're a member of the headphonic forums, a guy called dingostolemyipod has a pair (lives in perth).

Don't tell him I sent you though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're a member of the headphonic forums, a guy called dingostolemyipod has a pair (lives in perth).

Don't tell him I sent you though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Woah! Right here in Perth?

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back